Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default Natividad Pals from 1951...Clears?

Once in a while, I like to break into the vault and smoke one even older than me. Today it's a Natividad Pals from 1951.

Without breaking out ring gauges and tape measure, it looks to be about a petit lancero. At 5˘ apiece, these were about average/slightly above-average for the time. They might or might not be Clear Havanas, the box doesn't specify.

The wrappers are dark and the sticks are still firm, but not dry. These have been with me for years, well-humidified and cool. Look at that cello.

I cut the absolute least I could from the tip. Pre-light, the smell is slightly floral, perfumy; the draw reveals the same.

Upon lighting, the same floral notes persist, along with grassiness and a slight astringency, like walnuts on the finish.

The first half-inch is more of the same, with those three pervasive flavors fighting for dominance. After that, the grassiness begins to fade, along with the astringency, and what is left is that pleasant perfume; some tobacco notes begin to be noticeable.

I'm so excited that I have to remind myself to sip, not puff. If this isn't Cuban tobacco, then they did a hell of a job with the blend to simulate it.

About halfway in, the floral qualities are barely discernible, and—unexpectedly—what totally dominates is a well-rounded, pure tobacco taste and aroma; some hazelnut in the background, a slight bit of creaminess too.

That pure, old tobacco flavor persists until the last draw, which I take about a half-inch from the tip.

A very interesting experience; I like my small-ring Cuban cigars, and I'd say that anyone else who does would probably enjoy this as well. If my palate favored Carillos or Antanos...probably not.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Natividad Pals from 1951...Clears?

very cool review!

Dan
Old 11-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Gotta say I've got time for any cigars that call themselves "Pals".

I love those boxes, as well, that say things like "exceptionally mild" and also "full flavored".
Old 11-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

You've got the craziest sh!t, Joe ... just amazing
Old 11-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Enjoyed the review, Joe, thanks!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I would say that there is little chance they are actually clear havana cigars and I'll tell you why I think so.
But this is only my severely untrained opinion. I have some good basic knowledge, but am nowhere near
expert in this category. But I vote against it in this case.

I would think that during this period of manufacture, companies knew where the world's best tobacco was
being grown and they didn't waste any time in the small print, or in the larger graphics, in telling the consumer
that they were created with the finest havana tobaccos. For it not to be mentioned on the box, and instead
use the words "finest imported tobaccos" would lead me to believe that they used the SECOND finest imported
tobaccos. Just by the fact that you OWN that box, however, means you likely know more about this subject
than I do.

Last edited by OLS; 11-16-2011 at 05:07 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Nice review Joe, sounds like a great smoke
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I would say that there is little chance they are actually clear havana cigars and I'll tell you why I think so.
But this is only my severely untrained opinion. I have some good basic knowledge, but am nowhere near
expert in this category. But I vote against it in this case.

I would think that during this period of manufacture, companies knew where the world's best tobacco was
being grown and they didn't waste any time in the small print, or in the larger graphics, in telling the consumer
that they were created with the finest havana tobaccos. For it not to be mentioned on the box, and instead
use the words "finest imported tobaccos" would lead me to believe that they used the SECOND finest imported
tobaccos. Just by the fact that you OWN that box, however, means you likely know more about this subject
than I do.
I tend to think that you are on the right track at least; I had the same thought.

There is a small chance, however, that they may have used Cuban tobacco; back then, it wasn't as big a deal as it is to us today, being "the forbidden fruit" and all.

Also, Cuba used to supply many of the American cigar makers with leaf and many either chose not to acknowledge provenance, or might have been forbidden from doing so by contract; after all, Cuba was selling leaf to practically anyone who could pay, not like now that they don't export any leaf at all nor private-label any brands. They may not have been eager to announce that they were providing tobacco to makers who sold their goods for 3-5˘ a pop, when they were trying to get more for branded Cuban cigars.

Cuba also had contracts to provide leaf to make Bonded Havanas, which were sold and advertised as using Cuban leaf, and cost twice as much or more as Clears. Those makers (Garcia-Vega was one in the 1940s) may have had either tacit or explicit agreement with Cuba not to let others state provenance and undercut their prices as well.

So, there's a chance, however convoluted.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
I tend to think that you are on the right track at least; I had the same thought.

There is a small chance, however, that they may have used Cuban tobacco; back then, it wasn't as big a deal as it is to us today, being "the forbidden fruit" and all.

Also, Cuba used to supply many of the American cigar makers with leaf and many either chose not to acknowledge provenance, or might have been forbidden from doing so by contract; after all, Cuba was selling leaf to practically anyone who could pay, not like now that they don't export any leaf at all nor private-label any brands. They may not have been eager to announce that they were providing tobacco to makers who sold their goods for 3-5˘ a pop, when they were trying to get more for branded Cuban cigars.

Cuba also had contracts to provide leaf to make Bonded Havanas, which were sold and advertised as using Cuban leaf, and cost twice as much or more as Clears. Those makers (Garcia-Vega was one in the 1940s) may have had either tacit or explicit agreement with Cuba not to let others state provenance and undercut their prices as well.

So, there's a chance, however convoluted.
Here are some Garcia y Vega Bonded Havanas from 1943; note that even though they were marketed 8 years before the Natividad, they were 2 for 25˘:

Old 11-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Interesting Review. I would love to have a box like this in my collection.

I did a little research on Coast Cigar Company.

Came up with an ebay listing for a La Natividad Match Book.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NATIVIDAD-CI...-/200643041807
If you look closely you can see "Coast Cigar Co San Francisco"

So I then dug a little deeper and found a business listing from 1949 in San Francisco under "Coast Tobacco Distributors"

http://www.archive.org/stream/polksc...e/390/mode/2up

Connecting the dots here... assuming that the Distribution company in San Francisco is somehow linked to this 'Coast Cigar Co' and given the fact that most Clear Havana's that I'm aware of were made in Tampa (Ybor City) it seems unlikely that these were clear havanas and more likely that they were just your average 5c cigar.

But, that's all a stretch at best. Interesting stuff though.

Last edited by ninjavanish; 11-16-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Links weren't working.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

There were bonded factories throughout the East Coast prior to the revolution. NYC had a large number of factories as did most of the other large cities.

Thanks Joe, its always nice to read about these rare smokes.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #12
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Very cool review!
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Wow, cool stuff! Two of my favorite things: cigars and history.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

PL

Thanks for the comments, guys, and thanks especially for the research. I enjoy "sharing" these rare smokes with you.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:12 AM   #15
GHammer

Great review, I love the look of that ancient cello!
Old 11-18-2011, 04:46 AM   #16
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Wow, great review. I've had the pleasure of smoking a cigar with not so clear celo before, but damn, that $hit is old. I always love hearing about old cigars.