Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light
Default Perdomo 12 Year

These are a new offering and are supposedly in limited numbers. We had a Perdomo event here last Tuesday so some of them were available.

The story is that this line spends two years aging time inside bourbon barrels. I have no reason to disbelieve this but am skeptical by nature.

However, after buying just a few to try, and lighting up the first, I have to say it's got a heck of a flavor profile going on. Something is making them taste delicious!

I don't do long detailed reviews because I know how different everybody's taste buds can be, but I would like to add that of the four or five other folks who purchased and tried these, we were all giving the 12 Year two thumbs up.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Perdomo 12 Year

Thanks for the input, have not heard of these, but they sound intriguing. I wonder if the flavor profile is similar to the old 5 Vegas Cask Strength of several years ago. I really enjoyed those, and the schtick was it had a bourbon-esque flavor.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:01 AM   #3
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

We'll be getting them soon, as we are perdomo's distributers here in the Netherlands. The cigars are limited and Nick Perdomo told me the story of the barrels too. I have no reason not to believe him, he has never bullshited me.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:08 AM   #4
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

It sounds tasty, I'll have to keep an eye out for some.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

I can't wait to try one
Old 10-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Okay, had another last night. Dang it all to heck I'm gonna buy some more.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
The story is that this line spends two years aging time inside bourbon barrels. I have no reason to disbelieve this but am skeptical by nature.
Even though it's not too common, it don't think it's something to be that skeptical about. Arturo Fuente ages their Anejo Wrappers in cognac barrels.
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

Rob, I'm just sort of a jaded person when it comes to product advertising, I try not to let it make me flat-out cynical.

{Gurkha comes to mind as a cigar company whose hype was off the charts a few years back. Stop with the huge dorky walk in humidor displays, and focus on your stogies! And no, I either don't care or don't believe that this line of yours was 'made specially for the Grand Exalted Potentate of Omanistanislavia, and the small over runs are available at select retailers for only $1000 a stick'.}

Okay back to the Perdomo 12 Year for a second: Will state without hesitation that I've never been more than lukewarm towards many of their previous offerings, so liking the new one this much kind of took me by surprise.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Rob, I'm just sort of a jaded person when it comes to product advertising, I try not to let it make me flat-out cynical.
I don't blame you. When you're paying as much as you are for some sticks, I often wonder what really makes a $15-$20 cigar versus a $5 dollar cigar and what my money is actually paying for. For example, I know Camacho has a stick with pre-embargo tobacco in it. How much, though? Who knows... According to their description it contains "a significant portion of authentic pre-embargo Cuban tobacco" in the filler. Are they lying? Probably not. Ambiguous amount of pre-embargo tobacco? Certainly!

In the case of Gurkha as you previously stated, I think it comes from overly excessive presentation. If they put as much effort into their blends as they did to their boxes and band designs, I think they'd be be able to justify their ridiculous MSRPs...but I digress.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #10
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

Quote:
Okay back to the Perdomo 12 Year for a second: Will state without hesitation that I've never been more than lukewarm towards many of their previous offerings, so liking the new one this much kind of took me by surprise.
I'll agree. Haven't really been much of a Perdomo guy. I've had a couple sticks that were ok, but none that made me want to come back for more. Maybe this new one will be the one that changes my mind!
Old 10-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #11
Byaah
BYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (2)
Army (Disabled Vet)
Byaah is on a distinguished road

I had one of these not to long ago and IIRC I enjoyed it! I like a lot of Perdomo stuff from the looks of it. I will have to get more next stop at a B&M.
Byaah is offline   Reply With Quote