Old 03-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #21
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Tim Tebow CHOOSES the Jets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parshooter View Post
Right, I wasn't thinking of qbs running the wc but other position players.
gotcha.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #22
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
Did you mean running backs?
Do you mean former QB's running the Wildcat? Because some teams who run it seem to use former college QB's. Brad Smith, Josh Cribbs, Pat White.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #23
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhrblig View Post
As I said to another person yesterday, it's just crazy enough to work.

Take it from someone who saw it first-hand the last two seasons: throws-ugly-but-wins is a hell of a lot more fun to watch than throws-pretty-but-loses.
Yup.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #24
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Do you mean former QB's running the Wildcat? Because some teams who run it seem to use former college QB's. Brad Smith, Josh Cribbs, Pat White.
The vikings use Joe Webb, who is the backup QB in the Blazer Package which is their version of the wildcat. Pretty much useless because you kind of know what is coming.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #25
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Here in Madison, which is a 3-wood from the Jets multi-zillion dollar facility, the opinions have yet to crystallize on how this addition of another ring to the circus will eventually shake out. As for me, who could care less what the "local" team does, I am considering a petition to the town council to change the name of the town to Lourdes.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #26
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure why he choose the Jets over the hometown Jags.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #27
Islayphile
Wee Dram Hunter

First Name: Mike
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Islayphile is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Endorsement deals will be much better in NY no doubt
Old 03-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #28
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I believe it could have something to do with the below statement and also the fact that he was passed up TWICE by the Jags. I'm glad. Being a here in Jax, but also a UF fan, I get tired of hearing Tebow this Tebow that. It would be 100x worse if he came here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islayphile View Post
Endorsement deals will be much better in NY no doubt
Old 03-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #29
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

The local sportcasters here are making a big deal of the fact that, apparently, Jacksonville offered more than the Jets, but made it clear that Tebow would be the back-up. Denver gave Tebow the choice, and he seemed to think that he had a better chance to play for the Jets, and maybe even steal away the job from Sanchez.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #30
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

What I don't understand in these threads is the misunderstandings of what a 'gimmick' offense is and what it is not.
A Wildcat offense with Tebow in as the QB is not some simple to stop play. The man has talent, GIANT legs,
he can throw a quick pass, and as the first play of overtime in the Bronco's first game of the playoffs showed, he can
throw medium down the middle, too.

Secondly, the Option is not easy to stop. It takes real discipline to stop it. If the jets can figure out a way to disguise
their looks, it's not a given that people will be able to simply line up and stop it. This sounds to me like a lot of
people listening to ESPN talking heads yammering away and simply repeating it. Yes, teams share film, yes these coaches
are pros, but you don't have to know much about football to know that more than half of the teams that play on Sunday
don't have a defense that particularly looks like they remember what they hell they were being taught all week in practice.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #31
smitty81
Have My Own Room

The option boomed in the 90's and before when the players were built differently. The option may work for a few plays but in all reality, its unaffective in the nfl because of the speed of the defenses conpared to the o lineman. theres a reason that you hardly ever see the option in the nfl. heck, theres not even very many teams in the ncaa that run the option now days. Look at the huskers. The option brought them great success in the day but player build has changed so game play has changed as well.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #32
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The option boomed in the 90's and before when the players were built differently. The option may work for a few plays but in all reality, its unaffective in the nfl because of the speed of the defenses conpared to the o lineman. theres a reason that you hardly ever see the option in the nfl. heck, theres not even very many teams in the ncaa that run the option now days. Look at the huskers. The option brought them great success in the day but player build has changed so game play has changed as well.
Lots of college teams run the option still. It is just very rarely seen in the true 'option', or veer option form. Riding the fullback and then quick outside jab step with a pitchman is long gone. The day of a true fullback are limited too. The game has evolved past the simple option.

The biggest reason in the NFL that there is limited option offense is the potential for injury and the QB being such a highly paid player and asset. Heck, 18-21 year old bodies can take a punishment and recover much quicker over a 12 game season than a 32 year old QB will recover over a 20+ game season. QB's in the NFL are heralded for throwing TD's and winning games, not 3 yard runs or a 5 yard pitch to the tailback.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #33
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Lots of college teams run the option still. It is just very rarely seen in the true 'option', or veer option form. Riding the fullback and then quick outside jab step with a pitchman is long gone. The day of a true fullback are limited too. The game has evolved past the simple option.

The biggest reason in the NFL that there is limited option offense is the potential for injury and the QB being such a highly paid player and asset. Heck, 18-21 year old bodies can take a punishment and recover much quicker over a 12 game season than a 32 year old QB will recover over a 20+ game season. QB's in the NFL are heralded for throwing TD's and winning games, not 3 yard runs or a 5 yard pitch to the tailback.
I think you and i are on the same page.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #34
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
I think you and i are on the same page.
The option was never really featured in the NFL because of a durability issue, not so much a player build issue. Everyone is more athletic, bigger, faster, stronger than they were a decade ago. But with the high price of franchise QB's, you will never see a coach or owner take the risk of running a true option in the NFL. In college teams have 5+ QB's and they can get another one off the street and it doesn't cost them any extra money (unless you are USC or OSU).
Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #35
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
The option may work for a few plays but in all reality, its unaffective in the nfl because of the speed of the defenses conpared to the o lineman.
Hmmm... Tebow made it work for the Broncos last season to the tune of 7-1.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #36
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
What other back up QB's run the wildcat?
Joe Webb of the Vikings runs a wildcat type offense off the bench. This is a funny blurb, from the Onion.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #37
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Hmmm... Tebow made it work for the Broncos last season to the tune of 7-1.
Are you saying it was a one man team? also, they got pretty damn lucky to pull out some of those wins.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #38
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Are you saying it was a one man team? also, they got pretty damn lucky to pull out some of those wins.
A win is a win. I'll take a "lucky" win over a loss anytime.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:06 AM   #39
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think that most of those wins had to do with the defense on both teams. Denver's Defense was a great defense this year. in my opinion, they were one of the better ones last year. What we remember is the LAST play of the game Tebow did something. When the other defense was tired and (I'm not using an excuse, they should be more on their game) scored. What did he do the rest of the game?
I didn't get to see many of the games but I saw a few that were basically the opposing defense just completely blew the game ( The chicago game comes to mind where the running back ran out out insead of staying inbounds and the defense just collapsed)
I agree, a win is a win, but to say "It was Tebow" is a little out there in my eyes.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #40
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarnold1 View Post