Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 03-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #41
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Colts to Release Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRob View Post
It will be a different town without him, that is for sure. We're going to miss Peyton Manning on and off the field. He did a lot for Indianapolis, but at the end of the day... We have to think about our team's future, and freeing up that amount of money can really bring in some fresh new talent.
Indianapolis won the qb lottery twice in a row now. Someone's looking out for them, that's for sure. They really need to learn how to build a team now. It'll sure help if they're gonna contend.
I think Luck will be huge, but I don't think he's a one-man team like Peyton, or at least an impact player like him. That remains to be seen, though.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #42
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Indianapolis won the qb lottery twice in a row now. Someone's looking out for them, that's for sure.
...And drafted John Elway, Bert Jones, and picked up Johnny U up off the scrapheap after the Steelers cut him during training camp. Ridiculous. Just plain ridiculous.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #43
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
I don't think Peyton will play for a cold weather team.
Being a dome QB for his career and with his neck injury, it just makes sense.
If he does play for a cold weather team, it will be for the Skins. Why?
For the $, of course.
And who is foolish enough to overpay for a 36yr old, injured QB?
Dan Snyder!
I'm willing to bet he's had an erection since he found out Peyton was being released!
Even Snyder doesn't have enough money to bring Peyton to same division as Eli.
Put your money on an AFC team. And not NY or Denver. I'd say Miami or KC.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #44
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

I would love to see him in AZ throwing to Larry Fitz.!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #45
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Even Snyder doesn't have enough money to bring Peyton to same division as Eli.
Put your money on an AFC team. And not NY or Denver. I'd say Miami or KC.
Good point which further makes me believe that the Redskins are going after RGIII. If I had to put a hundred dollar bet on a parlay on how the quarterback carousel will shake out, it'd look something like this:

Cleveland - Flynn
Miami - Manning
Washington - RGIII
Arizona - Kolb ($$$)
NY Jets - Dirty Sanchez ($$$)
KC - Cassel
Old 03-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #46
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't think Cleveland is smart enough to pick up Flynn, and if he's heard any talk from the dickwads around here, I'd be shocked to even think he'd consider Cleveland.
I really think Manning ends up in AZ, and I still don't think Cleveland makes a qb move unless it's after RG3.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #47
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
I really don't think Cleveland is smart enough to pick up Flynn, and if he's heard any talk from the dickwads around here, I'd be shocked to even think he'd consider Cleveland.
I really think Manning ends up in AZ, and I still don't think Cleveland makes a qb move unless it's after RG3.
Investigating it a bit further on my lunch break, the Cardinals would have to get something done, and quickly, because Kolb is due a sizable bonus in a week and a half. Don't underestimate the power of the cheapskate that resides in Arizona.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #48
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I just got a text from rotowire that says 12 teams contacted Manning's representatives (concerning his neck) yesterday.
If any of you guys missed the press conference, it's worth looking for. If there was any animosity between Irsay and Manning, it sure wasn't evident. It was obvious they reached the release decision together based on their committment to the franchise.
It was quite the tearjerker, too.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #49
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Here's the press conference.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #50
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
As a devoted GB fan, I continue to be amazed at the Flynn buzz. He's got unlimited potential, sure - but am I the only one reminded of Matt Cassel everytime Flynn's name comes up? I'd be more than happy having him remain GB backup, but if we can get some serious value, it might be a good time to sell high.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #51
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I listen to sports radio most of the day every day. Whenever the Flynn topic comes up, I hear the same thing. He's only ever played in two games. I have no idea where these tards get this info, or even what they're alluding to as these "two games", but even if it were true, I'd think his last one would be enough to sell him to anyone.
I've been in love with Matt Flynn since the first time I saw him play. He's clearly an amazing quarterback from an organization that cranks out incredible quarterbacks, all it takes is a look at some tape.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #52
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
As a devoted GB fan, I continue to be amazed at the Flynn buzz. He's got unlimited potential, sure - but am I the only one reminded of Matt Cassel everytime Flynn's name comes up? I'd be more than happy having him remain GB backup, but if we can get some serious value, it might be a good time to sell high.
As a devoted GB fan, you should also remember guys like Mark Brunell, Aaron Brooks, and Matt Hasselbeck. In any case, it doesn't matter. The time to franchise tag a player has came and went, and Flynn went untagged. Whatever compensation we receive from him will be by way of a compensatory pick.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #53
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

From what I understand, Seattle and Kansas City are off Peyton's radar altogether.
It's down to Miami, Denver, Arizona, and Tennessee.
I think Tennessee and Denver are just getting played. Tennessee is the worst 9-7 team I've ever seen. Look at their wins/losses last year. They really did almost nothing remarkable.
Arizona pulled their act together at the end of the year and did some exceptional things.
Miami did nothing remarkable all year, but I put that directly on Moore and Henne who had nothing going on at all. I didn't look at their D, but they did well against the rush (who runs the ball?). I've contended Miami is a QB away for the last 3 years.
Peyton has to know that the low pressure in Denver will play hell on his neck (spine injuries go apesh1t when the pressure is low, it renders most anyone with back/neck problems almost useless).
That alone has to rule out Denver, or put a huge dent in it. His cold weather stats also play a big part.. I think he went there out of respect for Elway, to sniff them out and gather intel. Although it might be an easy division win if you add Peyton and Wayne. He has time to pull them together and make a run at the hardware, but to do it in the cold? I really don't think so. I can't believe he thinks that'd fly, either.
Realistically, I think we have Miami and AZ. I think he's a bad move for Miami, but I don't think they care, economically. Peyton will sell an INCREDIBLE amount of jerseys and revitalize that sinking ship overnight, and he's a value at any cost. I also don't think they care if he ever throws a ball, and I mean that literally. If he doesn't, that creates buzz and puts them on page one. That matters. With a Manning purchase, they immediately go from NFL obscurity to all the talk on every show, radio station, party, you name it. They become an instant brand sensation. They sell 10,000,000 jerseys before the season even starts (I'll have one for my collection).
I think Flynn changes that team and makes them instantly better and a force for the next five plus years, and he's a long-term perfect fit, but the economics and politics rule that out now that Peyton is available. That said, Miami probably takes Peyton and Tannehill if they're smart. That's not even smart, that's genius. If Tannehill has the right stuff (he certainly does physically) and Peyton takes him under his wing, he's going to be a great football mind. I don't know enough about Tannehill to lay any creedence to that hypothesis, so you guys will have to analyze that.
Arizona went 7-2 out of their last 9 last year, they have Fitzgerald, add Peyton and Wayne and you have a nice offense that plays in the sun.
It's a coin-flip between the two teams, for my money.
My gut has had AZ from the get, just because they've done this kind of thing before and know what they're doing. Miami is a zoo. I don't know if Peyton wants that distraction while he gets healthy, because I truly believe he wants to play, first and foremost. Miami will put a lot of star pressure on him and demand a ton of limelight from him, and I don't think Archie will let him play there.
But AZ is in the NFC. That could be the deal breaker, putting him head to head against Eli. At this point in their careers and Eli having two rings, I'd think that doesn't weigh so much with Archie.
It's a real tough call, isn't it?
I'd take a bet that he lands in AZ.

Last edited by shilala; 03-13-2012 at 07:54 AM.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #54
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

One last thing...
I don't think Peyton is about cashing in, as evidenced by him rejecting the $100,000,000 guaranteed deal the Colts wrote him last summer. Had he accepted it, he's still a Colt and gets that $28,000,000 last week. He did it himself with the future of the Colts organization and his love for Jim Irsay and the Colts in mind. It also speaks volumes about what Jim Irsay thinks of Peyton.
Peyton literally saved that franchise with that move, and you never hear anything about it. He's a class act all the way, and you hear all about his ego all the time. That's a super-selfish, egotistical move, for sure. ollseyes:
Point being, Miami will pay him absolutely anything to play there. Literally anything. $100,000,000 guaranteed for 5 years? Done in a heartbeat and he never has to throw a ball for them, have a pro day, or prove anything. His word is is worth $100,000,000, easy. That's because he's earned that respect. If he says he can and will play, that's good enough.
His paycheck is the least of his worries, and I don't think he'll take guaranteed money from his next team except for the first year, and I think he does that simply to see that they are truly committed to him. I'd not bat an eye if he gave it back were he not to play. That's the kind of class he has.

Weeze and I have been huge Peyton fans for years, he's one of the very few ball players that I've ever thought of with great respect, where we'd have them over for dinner. Elway is another. Hines Ward is another, but not on the same plane as Peyton and Elway. Tony Dorsett is another (for me, I can't speak for Weeze, she's a HUGE Elway fan, me, not so much, but I get it.)

I know Stephen is in love with Marshawn Lynch, but I don't think he has Lynch on that plane.
Do you guys have any football players you think of like that?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #55
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
One last thing...
I don't think Peyton is about cashing in, as evidenced by him rejecting the $100,000,000 guaranteed deal the Colts wrote him last summer. Had he accepted it, he's still a Colt and gets that $28,000,000 last week. He did it himself with the future of the Colts organization and his love for Jim Irsay and the Colts in mind. It also speaks volumes about what Jim Irsay thinks of Peyton.
Peyton literally saved that franchise with that move, and you never hear anything about it. He's a class act all the way, and you hear all about his ego all the time. That's a super-selfish, egotistical move, for sure. ollseyes:
Point being, Miami will pay him absolutely anything to play there. Literally anything. $100,000,000 guaranteed for 5 years? Done in a heartbeat and he never has to throw a ball for them, have a pro day, or prove anything. His word is is worth $100,000,000, easy. That's because he's earned that respect. If he says he can and will play, that's good enough.
His paycheck is the least of his worries, and I don't think he'll take guaranteed money from his next team except for the first year, and I think he does that simply to see that they are truly committed to him. I'd not bat an eye if he gave it back were he not to play. That's the kind of class he has.

Weeze and I have been huge Peyton fans for years, he's one of the very few ball players that I've ever thought of with great respect, where we'd have them over for dinner. Elway is another. Hines Ward is another, but not on the same plane as Peyton and Elway. Tony Dorsett is another (for me, I can't speak for Weeze, she's a HUGE Elway fan, me, not so much, but I get it.)

I know Stephen is in love with Marshawn Lynch, but I don't think he has Lynch on that plane.
Do you guys have any football players you think of like that?
To be fair, I love Marshawn Lynch the football player, not Marshawn Lynch the human being. That being said, it looks like he's turned a corner in his life and his gotten his head out of his arse. Good for him.

I'd be afraid that Manning wouldn't like the pot roast and I'd get the, "Manning Face."

As far as a class act, I know it's not fair, but whenever I think of Peyton Manning one of the first things that pop into my mind is him teabagging a female trainer at Tennessee.

But as to your question, the answer for me is Drew Brees.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #56
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
To be fair, I love Marshawn Lynch the football player, not Marshawn Lynch the human being. That being said, it looks like he's turned a corner in his life and his gotten his head out of his arse. Good for him.

I'd be afraid that Manning wouldn't like the pot roast and I'd get the, "Manning Face."

As far as a class act, I know it's not fair, but whenever I think of Peyton Manning one of the first things that pop into my mind is him teabagging a female trainer at Tennessee.

But as to your question, the answer for me is Drew Brees.
Good choice with Brees. I want you to tell me why he doesn't have a contract after we're done with this conversation. That absolutely baffles me...
How the hell did I never hear about the teabagging incident? It wasn't actually a teabagging, he dropped the sack and crack on her face al a Ben Affleck. That was in '96 when he was still a kid in college. I'm sure he imagined it was a perfectly acceptable stupid kid/jock move at the time, I wonder what this cost Archie? The suit was brought against Peyton and Archie both.
If I recanted 3% of the stuff I did at that age, you 1.) wouldn't believe it and 2.) would give me a pass based on the man I am now.
Hell, even at this point I think I'd throw the nuts over your shoulder just to get a laugh.
I do see where you're coming from, though. Had I known about that way back when, I may have a different perception of him now. But from this end going backwards, and the lack of dirt from there forward, I think he got the message.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #57
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Good choice with Brees. I want you to tell me why he doesn't have a contract after we're done with this conversation. That absolutely baffles me...
Umm, the Saints are idiots? I've got nothing. All-pro quarterback who's an even better human being who joined not only a franchise in disarray, but an entire city and led the charge in helping rebuild both.
Quote:
How the hell did I never hear about the teabagging incident? It wasn't actually a teabagging, he dropped the sack and crack on her face al a Ben Affleck.
Yeah, there's really not a name for that though, is there? Teabagging definitely gets the point across.
Quote:
That was in '96 when he was still a kid in college. I'm sure he imagined it was a perfectly acceptable stupid kid/jock move at the time, I wonder what this cost Archie? The suit was brought against Peyton and Archie both.
If I recanted 3% of the stuff I did at that age, you 1.) wouldn't believe it and 2.) would give me a pass based on the man I am now.
Hell, even at this point I think I'd throw the nuts over your shoulder just to get a laugh.
I do see where you're coming from, though. Had I known about that way back when, I may have a different perception of him now. But from this end going backwards, and the lack of dirt from there forward, I think he got the message.
I don't hold it against him per se, because we all did stupid stuff when we were 21 years old (and I can't even imagine being 21 years old and having an entire state worship the ground you walk on). It just makes me smirk to hear people talk about how classy he is, then picturing him sitting on a female trainer's face like it was a toilet seat.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #58
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Umm, the Saints are idiots? I've got nothing. All-pro quarterback who's an even better human being who joined not only a franchise in disarray, but an entire city and led the charge in helping rebuild both.
I can't imagine he's asking for anything unfair. If he's asking to be paid like the best qb in the league, they sure can't argue that. 20 million a year is a bit more than Brady, and he's definately worth it. That's a pittance compared to what he brings to the organization's bottom line.
I have no idea what he's asking, but if he wants 25 million/year for 5 years with half of it guaranteed, he's worth every dime no matter what calculator they use.
If Peyton ends up getting paid here in the next week or so, it's going to cost the Saints big. He only gets 14.5 mill under the franchise tag, I understand he's livid over a deal not getting done, and if he's got a bit of vindictiveness in him, I could see him walking next season.
He hasn't signed the tender, either. I guess they have till July 15th to get a deal done.
Now answer me this...
If Brees chooses not to accept the franchise tender, can he be a free agent after July 15th, or does he have to sit out the year, assuming he's upset enough to not play?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #59
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
I can't imagine he's asking for anything unfair. If he's asking to be paid like the best qb in the league, they sure can't argue that. 20 million a year is a bit more than Brady, and he's definately worth it. That's a pittance compared to what he brings to the organization's bottom line.
I have no idea what he's asking, but if he wants 25 million/year for 5 years with half of it guaranteed, he's worth every dime no matter what calculator they use.
If Peyton ends up getting paid here in the next week or so, it's going to cost the Saints big. He only gets 14.5 mill under the franchise tag, I understand he's livid over a deal not getting done, and if he's got a bit of vindictiveness in him, I could see him walking next season.
He hasn't signed the tender, either. I guess they have till July 15th to get a deal done.
Now answer me this...
If Brees chooses not to accept the franchise tender, can he be a free agent after July 15th, or does he have to sit out the year, assuming he's upset enough to not play?
Saints Have Always Been "Cheapskates". I Hope They Sign Brees Quickly!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #60
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
He sits for the year (or he signs the tender, or he and the Saints come to terms on a contract).