Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 02-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
yellowgoat

Default Lotus Vertigo is a rip off even at 20 bucks!

What a suck ass lighter!! I just got this POS today about 6 hours ago from CI and it won't spark! Tried draining, refilling high low settings and nothing. Worked great for the first cigar and then it dies.

I contacted CI's customer service. Hopefully I can get something from Xikar.

Last time I ever buy a Lotus crapper!
Old 02-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Lotus Vertigo is a rip off even at 20 bucks!

So youre saying you didnt like it?

Sorry you had a problem with your new lighter. The Xikar Executive is a nice little lighter for around $25... doesnt hold a ton of fuel though

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
yellowgoat

LOL Yeah, I had a lotus before but it took a year and a car running over it to break down.

I been looking at the Xikar Plunge or a Nibo Space 6 Triple Jet. Anyone had any luck with them? I seem to have nothing but bad luck with torch lighters. I had Blazer that looked like the Xikar Executive, and it lasted a week before it started spiting all it's fuel out at me.

I think I should stick with my Zippo! It's the only lighter that I have never had a problem with! Ran over by 20 cars, Thrown across rooms and outdoors! Dropped in a pool, Beer spills and other unworldly happenings and still works today!

Zippo is the best.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowgoat View Post
LOL Yeah, I had a lotus before but it took a year and a car running over it to break down.

I been looking at the Xikar Plunge or a Nibo Space 6 Triple Jet. Anyone had any luck with them? I seem to have nothing but bad luck with torch lighters. I had Blazer that looked like the Xikar Executive, and it lasted a week before it started spiting all it's fuel out at me.

I think I should stick with my Zippo! It's the only lighter that I have never had a problem with! Ran over by 20 cars, Thrown across rooms and outdoors! Dropped in a pool, Beer spills and other unworldly happenings and still works today!

Zippo is the best.
you can get one of those inserts for your zippo that uses butane, this way your cigar doesnt taste like youre smoking a hurricane lamp.

The "regular" blazer works pretty well, and a lot of the guys here swear by them.

I had one of the triple jet nibos, and I gave it away. It was great for lighting up a cigar, but you couldnt touch up because the flame was TOO big.

The butane you use can really affect the functionality of your lighter too... Ive been using Lava with good results. Its (and Vector also) is 5x refined, so it wont gunk up your lighting mechanism

"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
yellowgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
you can get one of those inserts for your zippo that uses butane, this way your cigar doesnt taste like youre smoking a hurricane lamp.

The "regular" blazer works pretty well, and a lot of the guys here swear by them.

I had one of the triple jet nibos, and I gave it away. It was great for lighting up a cigar, but you couldnt touch up because the flame was TOO big.

The butane you use can really affect the functionality of your lighter too... Ive been using Lava with good results. Its (and Vector also) is 5x refined, so it wont gunk up your lighting mechanism
I been using Xikar butane. I may get one of them Zippo inserts or a Zippo blu if I can find one for a good price. So far though, I beeb using a Wallgreen brand fuel for my Zippo's that hasn't mucked up the taste at all. I was surprised there were no odd funky taste.

I don't think I will ever buy a Blazer again, Once you get shot in the face with butane and ruin a good cigar because it shot fluid everywhere you'll never look at it the same way.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
BillyCigars

Sorry to hear about your luck with the Lotus Vertigo. Of all my lighters, it's my favorite one! And for comparison, I do also own a Xikar Executive which I like very much.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
I been using Xikar butane. I may get one of them Zippo inserts or a Zippo blu if I can find one for a good price. So far though, I beeb using a Wallgreen brand fuel for my Zippo's that hasn't mucked up the taste at all. I was surprised there were no odd funky taste.

I don't think I will ever buy a Blazer again, Once you get shot in the face with butane and ruin a good cigar because it shot fluid everywhere you'll never look at it the same way.
know what else work GREAT, Ronson Jet-Light. Available at Walmart for like $3 and they are so cheap that if you loose one youdont care!

Old 02-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
yellowgoat

Can't find them! I have never seen one in the city of Chicago or any suburbs. I see them on ebay for 15-20 bucks though! I'm not gonna spend 15 bucks on something that cost 4.

My Wallmart only has Bic's and Matches.

I may just wait and get a Zippo insert. I have 20+ Zippo's so a Zippo case isn't a problem.

Cheers!
Old 02-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Wow never seen or heard of a blazer doing that before.
Thats a shame it is by all my experiences a great and very consistent lighter.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
LookAtBigErn82
Munson, Roy E.??

First Name: Steve
Trading: (12)
Partagas
LookAtBigErn82 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I been using Xikar butane. I may get one of them Zippo inserts or a Zippo blu if I can find one for a good price.
I just purchased the Zippo insert from Heartfelt. $11.86 out the door, cheapest I could find on the net.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
MisfitJake

Snatched a Zippo insert off Ebay 2 years ago and the thing still works like a champ. Best $10 I ever spent on a lighter.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
Cigary

Quote:
Can't find them! I have never seen one in the city of Chicago or any suburbs. I see them on ebay for 15-20 bucks though! I'm not gonna spend 15 bucks on something that cost 4.

My Wallmart only has Bic's and Matches.

I may just wait and get a Zippo insert. I have 20+ Zippo's so a Zippo case isn't a problem.

Cheers!
I feel your pain brother,,I used to do the expensive lighters and still have them but they don't work. Now I use a Ronson and voila',,,,no more lighter problems. It works every friggin time and I went out and bought 10 of them just in case they break down,,,still waiting for the first one to stop. PM me as they have quite a few at the WallyMart where I live and I can help you out. They cost $2.94 each,,,it's almost ridiculous! You can barely buy a bic lighter for that.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
pmp

Lotus makes great lighters. The build quality is superior to anything in its price range. Sorry to hear you got a bad one. I hate to tell you though you are not upgrading by going to a xicar. Its on the same level at best.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
yellowgoat

Thats a shame!

What makes a torch lighter better then another? I can't see buying a $200 lighter that's the same as a $20 lighter with the same guts that will brake in a few days.
Are all the mechanisms and guts the same?

I've had $60 lighters that looked like they had the same thing inside them as a $20 lighter which is why I will not buy a lighter for over 20 anymore.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #15
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Xikars have a lifetime warranty. You really can't go wrong. I don't know why someone would say it's not an upgrade. Maybe because they don't cost more?
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #16
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
know what else work GREAT, Ronson Jet-Light. Available at Walmart for like $3 and they are so cheap that if you loose one youdont care!
Moe wins this one, for sure.
3-5 bucks for a jetlite is crazy. They work every single time.
Easily the best value in a lighter that's ever been made.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #17
GoodFella
out to sea

Trading: (7)
ERdM AirForce (Active)
GoodFella has disabled reputation

+ on the ronson

how can u have that many cars run over your lighters. as far as i know i nevr had one run over with a car
Old 03-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #18
yellowgoat

LOL
Yeah, Cigary is helping me out with the Ronsons. So Hit him with some RG will ya's! He needs a smoke ring.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #19
ScottishSmoker

My favorite torch lighters are my Duponts...they fire every single time. My x-Tend Mini has been through the wash roughly a dozen times...however, I am a big fan of the customer service XiKar gives to its customers. I would consider a XiKar to be an upgrade over the Lotus, every Lotus I have ever sold has crapped out...as a fall back, the Ronson works GREAT....
Old 03-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #20
yellowgoat

They are sending a new one to me. Hopefully it'll work longer then 6 hours this time.

Does Lotus have a website? I could only find the car website.