Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #21
Sled Dog
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tim
Trading: (0)
Sled Dog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ...and the pussification continues.

Nothing like leaving the store after a quick stop for "a few things" staring at the receipt and shaking your head wondering where $80 bucks worth of stuff came from
Sled Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #22
DocLogic77
Feeling at Home

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (1)
Partagas
DocLogic77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel View Post
Blame the ridiculous lawsuits. Unfortunately, businesses need to cover their asses because there are plenty of people who would sue the store instantly if their child were injured in any way, regardless of who was really responsible.

I've been on the receiving end of 2 frivolous lawsuits and it is no fun and very costly.

Cheers,
G
$$$

We live in a litiginous society. We also live in a society where some like to abuse the workers comp system. The rules are created for the weakest links and to protect back sides. Unfortunately, those who are clear headed and hard working get caught in the middle through the enforcement of rules created for the 1%.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #23
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
rode my bike with an extra set of forks banged onto my banana seat bike for the chopper look
Only 1 extra set ? Wimp, I had two, you just had to remember to re-hammer them every couple of days so they wouldn't come apart...and when you forgot it only hurt for a little while
Old 11-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #24
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

I was riding a shopping cart across a grocery store parking lot once like a scooter. Hanging on the bar and pushing with one foot, while the other was on the bottom bar. Long story short is; I hit a pothole, flew into the handle bar and basically bit the handlebar.... Broke off two teeth and bloodied my mouth.... not a pleasant experience.

My parents could have sued the store for the crappy parking lot, but didn't and we moved on and got my teeth "fixed'. I guess stores now days don't want to have injuries from employees or customers is why she might have said that.
Where I work people always claim to have tripped or fell or hit thier head on stuff to try and collect a check....... then we show them the video and the story changes drastically. But there are at times legitament claims.. Those claims make prices higher in stores to pay the claims off and makes it harder for employees to catch a decent raise if they pay out alot in injury claims.
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #25
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned this story to Lisa and she said "if some kid got hurt riding on a grocery cart around here, the store would get sued immediately. That's how it is around here."
I guess it's just a sad sign of the times.
In the lady's defense, she was very pleasant, and smiled the whole time. There was nothing defensive or rude or offensive about the whole deal. She's a sweetheart, and I was happy to have gotten to talk to her, even if I was getting hell.
I'm just in the camp that says "kids get hurt". My kids have gotten hurt lots of times. Bitten by dogs, fell off stuff, all the dumb things kids do. They even have *gasp* been hurt by other kids!!!
I've gotten hurt lots of times myself. Many times it was someone else's fault.
I never found reason to sue anyone, nor have a huge percentage of the public.
I think my point is that when people are forced to invoke rules to protect themselves from such inglorious assholes that a kid can't ride a grocery cart anymore for fear of a frivolous lawsuit, something is desperately wrong.
What if a can of beans hits my kid in the head? Or me?
I think it's time to lobby Congress for a Federal Grocery Store Helmet Law.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #26
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Next time I go to the Grocery store I'm just going to put my son in a helmet and knee / elbow pads and just fly around the store crashing into everything.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #27
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

My kids sometimes sit in the cart or ride in front or back. If they got hurt I consider that our fault and not the stores. I wouldn't even consider sueing.
Our oldest broke her arm at an amusement park a few years ago. She fell out of the stroller when she stood up. Never once would have thought the park would be at any fault. We took complete responsibility for it.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote