Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
niallac

Default New Boy Humi with Crystals Problem

niallac is on a distinguished road

Default Aloha from Scotland
Hello,
I am a new member from Edinburgh Scotland. I am a cigar smoker (surprise) and enjoy, Montecristos, Cuabas, R y J, and one or two other brands of cigar (not so much the Cohiba, I am Scottish...) on an occasional basis.

As, I imagine, with a lot of new members, I am joining with a specific question in mind, so I will cut to the chase and ask said question: I've been thinking for a while that it would be nice to have a few cigars stored for special occasions (as opposed to having to buy them on spec) and as such I have recently constructed a 'tupperdor'. As I understand it, all one needs to maintain an effective humidor is a suitable container, a hygrometer, and some sort of controlled humidification source. To this end, I have purchased a 4 litre (1 gallon) 'Lock 'n' Lock' food storage container, some acrylic polymer crystals (from a reputable eBay supplier) and a smaller (180ml) 'Lock 'n' Lock' food container to use as the humidifier, and some distilled water from the local model shop (they use it for steam engines, apparently). I assembled the whole thing a few days ago, including a well ventilated pine shelf for the cigars, and left the whole thing with my (salt-calibrated, twice for good measure) hygrometer and waited.

Initially, it all looked good - humidity slowly climbed from around the 50% background level here towards 70% and, as expected, stayed there. For a day or so. Since then, humidity has climbed inexorably to 80%, and stayed there. Imagine my horror! I can only imagine that this is too much for storing cigars, and so haven't bought any to store. I've tried covering about 50% of the holes in my humidification device, but this only succeeds in delaying the rate at which humidity gets to 80%. I've also removed the silicone seal from the lid of my tupperdor, in case it was 'too efficient' but this has no effect. Should I be looking for a refund from the seller of the crystals?

All and any advice would be gratefully received. As I understand it, the crystal-based humidifier that I have does not (or should not) need propylene glycol to regulate humidity.

Thanks,

Niall