Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough
Default Avalon Juke Series Blue

Turned out to be a very nice stick, minus some bitterness towards the end. Pics on my blog, had trouble uploading

aj

Been a bit nicer outside lately, and I've been dying to try something interesting and new, so tonight I'm lighting up an Avalon Juke Blue Toro (6x46). Avalon is a recently founded, smaller company coming out of Mississippi- making their sticks a bit hard to come by. I have had one other cigar from this company, and although I have no idea exactly what it was (pre-release of the 'Numbers' series possibly?), it was a fantastic smoke. I've been excited to smoke this for a while now, and as I'm getting ready to smoke, I realized that the cello is already tinted yellow! I should be in for a nice experience.

Out on the porch tonight, cutting with a Palio and lighting with a torch. Drink is water.

Pre-Light - The wrapper on this smoke is a rough, dark chocolate brown with a few lumps here and there. Draw is nice, and flavor is a mildly sweet, raw tobacco.

First Third - The first few puffs bring clouds medium-bodied smoke, loaded with toasty and nutty flavors. The Juke Blue's draw has a perfect tug to it, and after about a quarter inch a nice spiciness takes the stage. Burn is straight so far, and a slightly ragged, gray ash is forming. The body and flavors have picked up in strength about an inch in; the spice, toasty and nutty flavors are still prominent, but I can taste a slight cinnamon flavor as well now.

Second Third - My ash dropped before I could get a good picture (bummer), but I am thouroughly enjoying this stick so far. Avalon prides itself on a bluesy, southern attitude, and I can totally see that in this stick. The flavors are meaty but not overpowering, and very rich for the price point (about $100 a box or less). The ash continues to be a bit loose, but the burn is alright so no complaints here. A bit farther than half way in, I got a strange bitter flavor, the first disappointing note yet... Tried a re-cut, figuring a nicotine buildup was to blame, which helped.

Third Third - Moving into the last third, the Juke Blue continues to have a toasty flavor, now with more earthyness to it and less spice. The burn needed a touchup or two, and the ash is still ragged but no major problems. I'm tasting the bitterness in and out now, which is marring an otherwise fantastic cigar. Smoking this down to the band at least, as the meatyness is hitting the spot tonight.

Conclusion and Score - Gotta say this was a nice smoke, but the bitterness I tasted in the second and third thirds held this back from being great. I would give the stick an 85, as I really did enjoy the dense smoke and nutty/coffee/toasty flavors. Would some extra age help? Gonna have to get some more and see. Definitely worth a try if you happen upon them.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation
Default Re: Avalon Juke Series Blue

I was bombed some by some Louisiana BOTLs way back. The Hellhound is an excellant smoke to me as well. I wish they were a little bigger where I caould get a fiver once and a while. Thanks for the review.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
NeverEnoughStick

I also hear a lot of great things about these smokes.

I've got the sampler and all the smokes smell a little "green" to me.

AJ did you experience the same thing and light up anyway or not?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnoughStick View Post
I also hear a lot of great things about these smokes.

I've got the sampler and all the smokes smell a little "green" to me.

AJ did you experience the same thing and light up anyway or not?
The prelight aroma was rather odd as I remember... Honestly it smelled like cheap tobacco mixed with hay or something. I never give much creedence to the smell of a stick though- there are many sticks that I've smoked that smelled strange but smoked well regardless. This was one of those I guess

aj