Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #81
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation
Default Re: Did anyone order an iPad yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
RAW support?

I shoot compact flash anyway, but my next body will migrate me to SD.

Either way, it's a stupid solution. Glad it was at least an afterthought. Can always hope for the next revision.
I shoot CF as well, I'm sure something will be out for that before long that iPad users can drop another $40 on

realistically though it would not be practical for them to stick an SD or especially a CF slot onto that thing. If it is capable of it with some sort of cable or connection, though, that isn't so bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next gen one has a camera and mic and maybe even 1 USB slot
Old 04-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #82
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
I shoot CF as well, I'm sure something will be out for that before long that iPad users can drop another $40 on

realistically though it would not be practical for them to stick an SD or especially a CF slot onto that thing. If it is capable of it with some sort of cable or connection, though, that isn't so bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next gen one has a camera and mic and maybe even 1 USB slot
Even a USB port that could attach a memory card reader would be a perfect solution.

Just 1 USB port..... just one......

JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #83
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
iFirstAdopters -->> iLemmings
Bingo, history teaches us to always wait for at least the first revision before buying new tech (not just from Apple, from all manufacturers)! Dan Williamson was just in the office, at your old desk actually, showing his to a bunch of us. Nice unit, significantly heavier than I expected it to be (especially compared to a Kindle). Basically is it just a touch that's been run through the Xerox on 500% enlarge. Internet and pictures are much more viewable than on either the iPhone or iTouch but it's going to be interesting to see if the iPad wins mass market appeal or only really manages to achieve Apple fanboi penetration like all of Apple's products that don't start with "iP".

Last edited by mithrilG60; 04-07-2010 at 03:36 PM.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #84
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Even a USB port that could attach a memory card reader would be a perfect solution.

I'd take 5 to 1 it never happens. That'd put the ipad in competition with the macbook. It'd be borderline retarded to make a niche product that competes with your main lineup.
I agree it'd be awesome if this thing would tie into my photography, but even if it would preview pics, it's not an editing solution. It'd be kinda pointless. That's where a laptop comes in, which is what I've been using for 10 years.
After reading and reading and reading, it's pretty clear everyone kinda thought like I did about the ipad. I was thinking laptop in tablet form.
That's not what apple did. They made an ipod touch in tablet form.
If someone likes iphone or ipod touch, ipad is a no brainer. Pretty much a must have. If not, it's hard to imagine what a person would do with it.
I surf and watch media. Anywhere.
Since Monday I've watched 9 ballgames on the ipad and three or four movies, and wasted tons of time working on my fantasy ball team and surfed the web. It's far beyond iphone and ipod touch for those things that iphone and ipod touch have trained me to do.
It really is a niche-holer, and that's it. It does everything it does astoundingly well.
Even if it had a mic, camera, usb ports and a muti-reader slot, I wouldn't use it for work. I work here at my desk, which is what my desktop is for. I don't carry it around with me, but I do use my ipad at my desk so I can haul it along when I get up and move about. If I end up outside or upstairs or in the shop, it goes right along with me, and I can keep up with the game, my movie, email, messageboards, whatever. Then when I come back to my desk, I do what I do there.
I'd like to edit pics on the ipad, but without a mouse, it'd be cumbersome at best. I leave that for my desktop.
In a pinch, I can use Logmein and grab or do anything I need that's on my desktop. So there's that small link between the ipad and my desktop that gives me even more deskability.
If someone enjoys his/her laptop, I can see no benefit in the ipad aside from sitting around on the couch surfing while watching tv. I don't know if 500 or 600 bucks is worth that small amount of flexibility. For a guy like me who has always absolutely hated a laptop, it's perfect. I gave my laptop to my daughter a month ago when I ordered this thing, and sold hers. That's how much I hate laptops.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #85
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

Cuaba

How is the battery life on it Scott?
Old 04-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #86
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

I initially thought i would have no reason to get an iPad ( i still won't until at least 2nd gen) but then using the ibook feature jumped out at me. first off, for school it could be excellent if the school books in iBook form had extra features like videos and such. Also we got assigned alot of pdfs to read and instead of printing them out, viewing them on an iPad would be nice.

If you could highlight on the iPad and then print it highlighted if necessary that would be awesome.

For me, the dictionary feature is HUGE. I almost never take the time to find and look up a word in the dictionary if I don't know something.... but with just being able to click on the word and it has a dictionary option, that is really fantastic.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #87
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
How is the battery life on it Scott?
I can watch video all day and never plug it in. It's touted as delivering 10 hours of video, but it appears I get way better than that, and I have the screen a lot brighter than the 50% factory default, which is adequate.
I still have the plastic factory cover on it so it doesn't get hogged up, when that comes off I can decrease the brightness a lot.
For whatever reason, the $40 cover/binder/stand I ordered with it isn't going to be here till Friday. That's better than the 20th, which is what the last email said that they sent.
The battery life is easily five times that of my 9 cell in the 17" Vostro 7200 gamer I was using. Or more accurately, the 17" Vostro 7200 gamer that I was never using.
My daughter loves it and has really put it to use since I gave it to her. That wasted $1400 has finally been put to use, even if it's just playing Sims 3 for 6 hours a day.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #88
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
I initially thought i would have no reason to get an iPad ( i still won't until at least 2nd gen) but then using the ibook feature jumped out at me. first off, for school it could be excellent if the school books in iBook form had extra features like videos and such. Also we got assigned alot of pdfs to read and instead of printing them out, viewing them on an iPad would be nice.

If you could highlight on the iPad and then print it highlighted if necessary that would be awesome.

For me, the dictionary feature is HUGE. I almost never take the time to find and look up a word in the dictionary if I don't know something.... but with just being able to click on the word and it has a dictionary option, that is really fantastic.
The ibooks app totally kicks ass out of any reader I've ever touched.
If I had to struggle through a book on a Kindle, I'd stomp it and go about my life stupid. Sony reader? I'd far rather just go to Barnes and Noble. It's easier and more friendly.
I may actually read some books on it, but haven't gotten that far yet, aside from previewing it. Plus it's ball season.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #89
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
The ibooks app totally kicks ass out of any reader I've ever touched.
If I had to struggle through a book on a Kindle, I'd stomp it and go about my life stupid. Sony reader? I'd far rather just go to Barnes and Noble. It's easier and more friendly.
I may actually read some books on it, but haven't gotten that far yet, aside from previewing it. Plus it's ball season.
I think as it grows to implement more newspapers and magazines it can only get better and better. Newspapers have seen dwindling sales numbers in recent years, and maybe this new platform (be it apple or other non-apple products to come) could be a possible solution.

I also spend a great deal of time reading tech and other websites (such as gizmodo, engadget, etc) and if they come out with good apps, or hell just reading right on the website, that would be an enjoyable and more portable activity
Old 04-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #90
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
I think as it grows to implement more newspapers and magazines it can only get better and better. Newspapers have seen dwindling sales numbers in recent years, and maybe this new platform (be it apple or other non-apple products to come) could be a possible solution.

I also spend a great deal of time reading tech and other websites (such as gizmodo, engadget, etc) and if they come out with good apps, or hell just reading right on the website, that would be an enjoyable and more portable activity
If you wanna check out a "newspapery" app, download New York Times. It's free and reads just like a newspaper with video in the pic holders.
I gave it a look, but I can't read it. It's too much like Fox.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #91
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

Cuaba

Posted this in the current iPhone thread, but it's applicable here too. Seems strange to me that this OS won't be released to iPad (ie. giving iPad multi-tasking) until the fall. You'd think that'd be the first update they'd want to push out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
So is anyone else following the iPhone OS 4.0 sneak peak? Live right now

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/l...est&refresh=60

Biggest announcements so far:

1) Multitasking (FINALLY)

- including the ability for background music, phone, VoIP and location services

2) Folders for App organization.

3) Enhanced email

- support for integrated inbox
- multiple Exchange accounts
- open attachements directly from email with apps from app store

4) iBooks

5) Enterprise features

- better data security
- mobile device management (this sounds like a BES-like feature of remotely disabling devices)
- wireless app distribution
- Exchange 2010 and SSL VPN support
- looks like Apple is finally starting to make very aggressive steps into the enterprise market, as I mentioned before, RIM needs to innovate or the pressure from iPhone and Droid will remove them from their core business

6) More and better gaming

7) iAd - mobile advertising

- great more ads, more a end user perspective this is not exciting at all
Old 04-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #92
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

I went three days before I needed to plug it in and recharge the IPad. I have been using the IBooks and the video function more than anything else. Still impressive and no I didn't fiddle with the controls. One thing, you need to use the 10 watt charge that comes with the IPad; it won't charge through your USB connector on you computer. I bit bothersome to me, but I will just have to buy an extra to carry in my backpack. The Apple cover is a nice protector and doubles for a mini stand when I am at my desk with the IPad.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #93
ChicagoWhiteSox

aapl is just under $260 a share. +14.63 today.

Can someone tell me when the iPad is going to be availible internationally?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #94
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:

I got an email today and they have a memory card reader for the ipad, available from Apple. Didn't look into it any further cause I don't need one.
I imagine they'll be 2 bucks at ebay in coming weeks, if they aren't already.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #95
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

not me. it isnt my time of month......
Old 04-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #96
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
not me. it isnt my time of month......
here we go
Old 04-21-2010, 09:10 PM   #97
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

I got the I pad nano though.

Just stirring the pot.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #98
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

I went to an Apple store in Metarie La this weekend and got to play with one. It reminds me of an oversized IPhone. It didn't really turn me on. The Laberynth game was great! But the $500+ price tag (plus $20+ a month for internet acess) didn't thrill me either. There isn't but an hour in my day where I could or would want to use one and its on my lunch break... I have a desktop and a laptop computer....... they work fine by me and I think I will stick with them for now!
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #99
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

I think if you don't utilize the ebook function the ipad isn't worth getting unless you don't have a laptop or something else to use
Old 04-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #100
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Taking the plunge...my wife and I are gonna share one. That is code for she wants one.