Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #41
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Does this seem right to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
I don't frequent B&M's often, but when I do go into one (any one), I always buy at least one cigar. I think they serve a purpose and I like to support them (a little anyway.)

I agree completely with R. Agent.
I really cannot understand anybody getting upset over pricing at any one shop. Short of wide-spread collusion, I say let the market do its thing. I, and the other patrons, will judge with our wallets.
I only got upset because of the markup on the Quesada and La Duena's especially after I found out how much they can be had for online, + this is the only B&M locally that is carrying them...I want to support them, but not at those prices...that's the bottom line.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #42
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Personally, if the cigar shop I plan to visit has a lounge that I will use while there, I will purchase a cigar from them to support them. If I do not plan on using their lounge at all, I have no obligation to support them if I feel their prices are out of line.

True story:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Just happened not 15 minutes ago. Went to grab a sandwich at Subway here in Newbury Park and noticed there was a new B&M tobacco shop (Tobacco Royale) in the same strip mall. Walked in just to take a look around as its been a while since I stepped into a B&M.
Fuente Short Stories @ 8.95 a pop...not too out of line for SoCal I guess, when my eyes locked onto a full intact box of Fuente Fuente Opus X's. No price on the cigars.

I walk out and ask how much just out of curiousity.
He says "50"
I say "Excuse me?"
He says "50"
I say "each?"
He says "yes, 50 ea"
I say "seriously?"
He says "how much you normally pay?"
I say quietly to myself "holy crap"
He says "I give you discount if you buy whole box"
I quietly exit as he tries to call his boss to get a box discount.

Holy cow, I thought I was Vegas for a minute.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #43
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

You can ask the B&M owner if he'll cut you a break on a box and mention where you saw them and for how much. I know of instances where I saw cigars much cheaper than the B&M and their response was "Can you get me some too, that's as cheap as I paid".
Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #44
Boz
In Vino Veritas

First Name: William
Trading: (18)
HUpmann
Boz has a spectacular aura aboutBoz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51 View Post
This is my take on all this. Take it for what it's worth. I love my B&M, great place run by a great guy. The thing is he is a little overpriced compared to online vendors. That is because of state taxes and such. I understand that. What I do however is if he has a stick I have yet to try, I will pick up 1 or 2 just to support him. I will then buy a box online if I truly like it. To each their own however.

Exactly what I do. I also try and make it to the events he puts on.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #45
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
I only got upset because of the markup on the Quesada and La Duena's especially after I found out how much they can be had for online, + this is the only B&M locally that is carrying them...I want to support them, but not at those prices...that's the bottom line.
Even at a local level those prices are high for both those sticks!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #46
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

I feel like you guys may be forgetting that for every price hound out there, there's some guy who knows no better or has enough money that he doesn't care about the price and/or is willing to pay whatever price to get whatever it is that he wants.

I mean, I worked in retail for a long time. People would come everyday and say "I can get these for almost half as much online." The answer was always, "Then sir, I believe you may be in the wrong place." No offense meant to those who are constantly on the hunt for the best prices, but you must recognize that you're not the only clients a store may have. I also had guys come in nearly everyday and say "I want a box of the most expensive cigar you've got." Or, "I want a box of whatever you recommend is good, don't care about the pricing as long as you say it's good." And would gladly pay it without blinking an eye.

While it's nice to fantasize about the customer always being right, that's in regards to customer service. Not pricing. Sorry to say, but when it comes to keeping the doors open and making a profit, that's a decision that the manager/owner must weigh. The truth of the matter is you have no idea what their overhead/clientele demographic/COG's/ROI/Market Position/etc/etc are and therefore telling someone how to price their cigars is comparable to telling them how to run their business. Which, quite frankly, is impolite at best, unless you have some special relationship with the manager/owner which would allow such a discussion to take place in earnest.

This is not to say that you (the consumer) have no recourse against pricing that doesn't suit you. You can simply not purchase and walk away and say "You know, I don't think the pricing is right in here for me, but thank you anyway." That's not accusatory or inflamatory, and you might be suprised how quickly some sales associates would jump to say "well, that's something we could remedy." You're also much more likely to get a deal from someone if you're not coming to them with a complaint about their pricing. And trying to grind a deal out of someone is probably going to be met with flat out "Can't do that. Or, My manager isn't here to approve a deal like that right now."

The thing is, you must know by now (Because it's not like this has happened overnight), the internet and catalog business will forever demolish Brick and Mortar pricing unless something drastic happens.

If you don't want to purchase from a B&M... Just don't. There's someone else who will.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #47
splattttttt

I live just a stone's throw from New Hampshire, where there is NO sales tax, except for dining. This new B&M that opened just a few weeks ago is looking to compete against a large veteran and will sell to me for what I pay on line as long as I make up the difference that I pay for shipping. That was what I actually proposed and they are good with it.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #48
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I want to set the record straight and make a formal apology.....I just received the sticks on Saturday, I smoked 1 Octoberfest and put the others in my herfador without really eyeballing them.

This morning I pulled out the La Duena and noticed the price tag on the cello.....$8.95 I can live with this, because that's what I have found them on line for. so I APOLOGIZE to that B&M and the sticks that were $15-$30 must have been the PG's.

I still do not know how much the Octoberfests were since they didn't have cello.

Last edited by irratebass; 09-03-2012 at 08:11 AM.
irratebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #49
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

You could have just called the B&M and asked their prices. That would save a lot of time and aggravation for all... Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #50
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

Being that I live in BFE, I have only gotten to go to one real B&M, I thought his prices were reasonable and I gladly left with a few cigars I had not tried before. When I get a chance to get back to Carson City I plan on making a stop in to the little cigar bar we found by accident.

I feel that many B&M's gouge just because they can sell to the impulse buyer who wants a cigar that night with his buddies, but dose not own his own humidore. Just an observation from someone who lives way outside the city!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #51
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

Also this was a cigar bar. Only one In the City so no competition.
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #52
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

You're all lucky compared to our B&M... I don't dare support them. They mark everything up 2-3x the cost of the sticks. And it's not taxes. From what I have heard the prices years back were great. But the owner decided his main clientele were the people that didn't really care what the cost of a stick was and would pay for the sticks no matter what, so they hiked up the prices to wherever they could keep selling sticks.

It's all good business, but bad for the average joe like myself.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #53
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
I feel like you guys may be forgetting that for every price hound out there, there's some guy who knows no better or has enough money that he doesn't care about the price and/or is willing to pay whatever price to get whatever it is that he wants.

I mean, I worked in retail for a long time. People would come everyday and say "I can get these for almost half as much online." The answer was always, "Then sir, I believe you may be in the wrong place." No offense meant to those who are constantly on the hunt for the best prices, but you must recognize that you're not the only clients a store may have. I also had guys come in nearly everyday and say "I want a box of the most expensive cigar you've got." Or, "I want a box of whatever you recommend is good, don't care about the pricing as long as you say it's good." And would gladly pay it without blinking an eye.

While it's nice to fantasize about the customer always being right, that's in regards to customer service. Not pricing. Sorry to say, but when it comes to keeping the doors open and making a profit, that's a decision that the manager/owner must weigh. The truth of the matter is you have no idea what their overhead/clientele demographic/COG's/ROI/Market Position/etc/etc are and therefore telling someone how to price their cigars is comparable to telling them how to run their business. Which, quite frankly, is impolite at best, unless you have some special relationship with the manager/owner which would allow such a discussion to take place in earnest.

This is not to say that you (the consumer) have no recourse against pricing that doesn't suit you. You can simply not purchase and walk away and say "You know, I don't think the pricing is right in here for me, but thank you anyway." That's not accusatory or inflamatory, and you might be suprised how quickly some sales associates would jump to say "well, that's something we could remedy." You're also much more likely to get a deal from someone if you're not coming to them with a complaint about their pricing. And trying to grind a deal out of someone is probably going to be met with flat out "Can't do that. Or, My manager isn't here to approve a deal like that right now."

The thing is, you must know by now (Because it's not like this has happened overnight), the internet and catalog business will forever demolish Brick and Mortar pricing unless something drastic happens.

If you don't want to purchase from a B&M... Just don't. There's someone else who will.

Many people forget that B&Ms have significantly higher operating costs, plus a higher rate for cigars than online vendors(factory direct pricing, as well as bulk deals). Not to mention taxes. It comes off as just flat out rude and pompous to straight up say to someone "Well I can get this much cheaper online!" to a worker in a B&M, who, more often than not, has no control over the pricing.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #54
Geerawkz

First off irratebass good to see you here I think we are instagram buddies and always great to see a familiar face.

I follow area51's strategy for the most part, I love supporting my local shop when I can despite the fierce competitive prices tat can be found online and from that damned site cbid haha. Although with the current economy and cosntant support I've given to my local shop, he sometimes more often then not will match a lower price I've found to keep most of his loyal customers happy and continually buying from him. Great way to keep his repeat customers coming in!