Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough
Default Erie/Grove City PA B&Ms?

Heading down in a few weeks and need somewhere to do some shopping. Anyone in the area with a recomendation? Looking for the usual Tats, Illusiones and some newer stuff I have yet to try. See there are a three Smoker Friendly shops in Erie. One better than the others? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
thingsNstuffs

Default Re: Erie/Grove City PA B&Ms?

Ya know.... I wish I had a good rec. for ya bud.

I haven't been to the Smoker Friendly's. But I'd be happy to drive around to them this weekend and give you a heads up.

We have 2 kinda slightly maybe moderately a little decent B & M's. Neither one is a free standing structure. So you can't smoke in them. I can direct you to them but I personally don't go to them anymore. Unless you're up for a long storytime I'll just say that they're dens of douchebaggery.

Also, if your looking at Grove City, the one in the Grove City Outlet Mall called Heritage Wine and Tobacco. They stopped doing the "tobacco" part a little over a year ago. But they kept the name just to screw with my limited brain matter. Sad cuz they used to sell Padrons cheap.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

There used to a small one on Peach Street accross from the Mall entrance but I haven't been there in 5 years or so. I also remember one being in the mall itself but it didn't have much inventory.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

It's a way out of your way, but there's a smoke shop in slippery rock that's awesome. It's close to grove city outlets.
I can't for the life of me think of the name, and I've been there a few times. Geez, I'm brain damaged.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, brace yourself for this, it's Slippery Rock Cigars.
Great shop, great owner, I love going there.
Google Maps says it's only 15-20 minutes SE of the Outlets.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

http://slipperyrockcigars.com/

Sorry for the Dupe
Old 05-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
thingsNstuffs

Yup Bunker, those were the two shops I was talking about. They're both still there and both still underwhelming. And the owners... grrrrrr.

Looks like that place in Slippery Rock is the best bet. Should only be like an hour if you haul balls from Erie. I checked the site you folk linked and it looks really nice.

I'm planning on tripping to Johnstown this summer. I'll need to make a stop there along the way. Let me know what you think if you head down GWN.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

joe at slippery rock is good people. I know him well
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
GWN
Snow City

Bolivar

Thanks guys. Been digging around a bit and between my first post and now and Slippery Rock appears to be the best bet.
I also came across the one across from the mall on Peach Street, though reviews seemed mixed.
Appreciate all the advice and I'll post up what I find when we return.
As a failsafe, I still have Smokin' Joes near the Queenston/Lewiston border than I can hit on the way home. Decent B&M if you're in that part of New York.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #10
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Hey if your coming down the 90 through New York The Cigar Parlor on the Cattaraugus Reservation is great. Its about 5 mins from the Thruway and of course tax free. Usually have a great Fuente selection including Opus and Anejo at retail or under.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #11
GWN
Snow City

Bolivar

Thanks Scott. We'll likely take the 90 down so that's a great option too.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
GWN
Snow City

Bolivar

Thinking I'll probably try the Cigar Express on West 8th St. in the hope I can find some Tats as well as the shop across from the mall on Peach Street just 'cause we'll be right there anyway. Slippery Rock is also on the must-see list and we'll hopefully hit the shop on the reserve on the way home. Let you all know what I find.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Enjoy your trip, Jeff!!!
Old 05-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

tell joe at slipperyrock that kevin from cranberry says hi. also, don't be confused when you turn into an apartment complex to get to SRC...just keep driving down the parking lot.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
GWN
Snow City

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
tell joe at slipperyrock that kevin from cranberry says hi. also, don't be confused when you turn into an apartment complex to get to SRC...just keep driving down the parking lot.
Will do, Kevin. And thanks for the advice!
Old 05-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #16
GWN
Snow City

Bolivar

Just got home an hour ago. Did OK with my wishlist. Hit four different shops. Will post up reviews once we get settled. In the meantime, here's the damage:

Old 05-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #17
GWN
Snow City

Bolivar

And a couple that didn't make it back
Old 05-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #18
GWN
Snow City

Bolivar

Trip report:

Hit a bunch of shops and wanted to pass along my findings for anyone else who finds themselves in the area.

First stop was Leaf Lover in North East PA, just north of Erie on the advice of Rob Heming from Blowin Smoke Podcast.
Great shop with a cozy lounge and friendly staff. Decent selection of GL Peace pipe tobacco too.
Several dozen facings in the walk-in, but stock was a little low with several empty boxes. Good supply of standards like Fuente, Padron and Oliva, though.
Picked up a LFD Air Bender and CAO La Traviata.

Next up was Heritage Tobacco & Wine Cellar ‪inside Millcreek Mall. A good wall of cigars with a lot of range and variety. ‬This was the only place I could find that stocked Tatuajes, grabbing the last two Havana IV Artistas he had. He had a good supply of Opus X and Anjeos, including a full box of the 2010 Fuente Holiday edition, which I'm kicking myself now for not grabbing. The guy who appeared to run the shop was talkative and friendly, but the other two clerks were clueless and not helpful.

Stop #3 was Cigar Shop, across from the mall on Peach Street. Small shop run by a very friendly woman who knows her stuff. Prices slightly higher than elsewhere, but not by much. Small but well-stocked walk-in and lots of accessories. Grabbed a Guillermo Leon, La Aurora 107, Benchmade and NM Art Deco.

Saved the best for last.
The day we were headed home. drove deeper into Erie and hit the Smoker Friendly $ Cigar Express on 2663 W 8th St. Deceiving from the outside as you can't see much (found that out the night before when the shop was closed) But walk in, hang an left and you'll see a large, well-stocked walk-in filled with goodies. Biggest and best selection, by far, of the trip. Guy who runs the place was friendly and you'll find pretty much everything that's out there (except for Tats). Grabbed an EP Carillo, some more La Traviatas, Cain Daytonas an Illusione F9 and a box of Tobacos Baez Coronas. This shop will be my first stop next time we head down.

Never made it to Slippery Rock Cigars but will next time.
Of note, I can confirm no cigars whatsoever at Grove City Outlets anymore. The former Heritage Tobacco and Wine shop is now just a wine store and what looked like a walk-in is now used for storage.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #19
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Damn. Sounds like you had a nice trip. Glad to see you found some good pick ups along the way.