Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2008, 07:08 AM   #41
D O G

Default Re: Dog Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
Katie and I are looking to get a Choc Lab puppy in the near future. The question is: Is there anything that I can rub on the legs of our TV stand,coffee table, and table and chair legs to keep the dog from chewing on it? Or are there any other tips to keep them from chewing on the furniture?

Thanks

Puppies chew. You need to train the dog on what it can a can not chew. Get the puppies some chew toys. Get yourself a squirt gun/bottle. When the puppy chews someting it is not allowed to chew, squirt the dog with water. Then remove the dog to another area with a chew toy. BE CONSISTENT. The dod will quickly learn what it can chew and what it can't. Buy a female puppy. They are easier to train.

Two types of dogs. Those with owners who trained them consistently. Those with owners who did not train them or did not train them consistently.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #42
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

Just got home....pics will come later. His full name is

Dante of Autumn Leaf

Last edited by smitdavi; 10-18-2008 at 11:25 AM.
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #43
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Here's some pics:

Old 10-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #44
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Congrats you two!

Good lookin pup ya got there!

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #45
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

He's pretty cute. My lab had huge paws as a puppy and we always thought he's be big. He was 140LBS at one point! Have fun!
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #46
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Well so far were about .500 on making it outside to use the bathroom...not bad for the first day in a new home
Old 10-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #47
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgraybill View Post
When you catch them biting or chewing, bite down on their ear until they yelp.
It really works, just dont do this with adult pit bulls!
Youre kidding, right?
Old 10-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #48
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Any tips on potty training the pup? When he does the dirty in the house I call him over, say "NO" then take him outside. When he goes outside I praise him, bring him in and give him a treat. Is this the right way? Any help is greatly appreciated lol
Old 10-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #49
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
Any tips on potty training the pup? When he does the dirty in the house I call him over, say "NO" then take him outside. When he goes outside I praise him, bring him in and give him a treat. Is this the right way? Any help is greatly appreciated lol
Yes, and awwwwwww!
Old 10-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #50
Footbag
I Need My Space

Partagas

Quote:

Continue to do just that, but make sure you show him exactly why you're saying no. If you have to, point his face at it. Then bring him swiftly outside. Also try to identify the signals he gives off when he has to go. When you see the signals, that's when to bring him out.
If you catch him in the act, yell, and make a big deal about it and then bring him outside immediately.
Before long, he'll make the association and know where it's OK to go.

Do you have a fenced in area where he can go, or do you walk him on a leash?
Old 10-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #51
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
Continue to do just that, but make sure you show him exactly why you're saying no. If you have to, point his face at it. Then bring him swiftly outside. Also try to identify the signals he gives off when he has to go. When you see the signals, that's when to bring him out.
If you catch him in the act, yell, and make a big deal about it and then bring him outside immediately.
Before long, he'll make the association and know where it's OK to go.

Do you have a fenced in area where he can go, or do you walk him on a leash?
Walk him on a leash...both times it was when we were in the kitchen, he takes off around the corner and then pisses right in front of the TV. I usually grab him, point my finger and his head at the spot then take him outside, but by then he's already finished. So I just bring him back in and he watches me clean up the mess lol
Old 10-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #52
Footbag
I Need My Space

Partagas

Quote:
Walk him on a leash...both times it was when we were in the kitchen, he takes off around the corner and then pisses right in front of the TV. I usually grab him, point my finger and his head at the spot then take him outside, but by then he's already finished. So I just bring him back in and he watches me clean up the mess lol
For your sake, it's almost a good thing if he picks a spot. When you seem him eying it up, that's the cue. The quicker you are the better. He need's to think you know everything bad he does.

If you can get him to associate going out with the leash, you may be able to have him walk over and pick it up [the leash] when he has to go. Don't underestimate how smart lab's are.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:25 PM   #53
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Quote:
For your sake, it's almost a good thing if he picks a spot. When you seem him eying it up, that's the cue. The quicker you are the better. He need's to think you know everything bad he does.

If you can get him to associate going out with the leash, you may be able to have him walk over and pick it up [the leash] when he has to go. Don't underestimate how smart lab's are.
Atleast I'm on the right path...that's a good start. If I can get him to pee outside and sleep through the night relatively soon I will be a HAPPY HAPPY man lol
Old 10-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #54
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

David, crate training is also a godsend with pups, especially labs.
You want to play with them and cuddle them constantly, but some time in the crate will do more good for the dog than many things. Crate at night, not too much room for him to move around. Dogs won't soil their crate, 99% of the time.
First thing in the morning, out the door. Serious good dogs and praise, maybe cookies if that is your style.
Play with pup a little bit...
Back in the crate. You want him in the crate when the urge starts to overtake him. 45 minutes later, or whatever interval he seems to dig, out of the crate and out the door.
Repeat as necessary.
It works for me, and not only do labs seem to "get" crate training, but they (hopefully) start treating the crate or travel kennel as a sanctuary, or Asylum, if you will. That is a good thing.
replicant_argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:32 PM   #55
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbaseg View Post
My black lab pup loved the nylabones (sp). The puppy ones they can really go after and they are safe to digest (in moderation).

I think supervision and distraction are the keys.
A very hearty second or whatever to the Nylabones.
tough as hell, last a long time, dogs LOVE them. Both my shorthair and my lab chew them all the time, and we have 4 or 5 around the house. The shorthair rarely chews anything, the exception being if we are gone and leave some crate foam around. She will confetti-ize it in moments. The lab never chews on anything but her nylabones or dog toys.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #56
Pulse
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Pulse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...try to identify the signals he gives off when he has to go. When you see the signals, that's when to bring him out.
Before long, he'll make the association and know where it's OK to go...
I agree with this part of Footbags guidance mostly (no "need" to yell at the dog though to effectively train him on this). Learn to identify the signals (they do give them) and get him outside as quickly as possible. Yelling at the dog isn't necessary, just get them outside. The dog is smart enough to figure it out soon enough with repetition and praise for going outside...

As a part 2 to this you may want to consider training him to "give" you the signals you need in order to let him out when he has to go (bell training or door relational positioning are some examples)

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
David, crate training is also a godsend with pups, especially labs.
You want to play with them and cuddle them constantly, but some time in the crate will do more good for the dog than many things. Crate at night, not too much room for him to move around. Dogs won't soil their crate, 99% of the time.
First thing in the morning, out the door. Serious good dogs and praise, maybe cookies if that is your style.
Play with pup a little bit...
Back in the crate. You want him in the crate when the urge starts to overtake him. 45 minutes later, or whatever interval he seems to dig, out of the crate and out the door.
Repeat as necessary.
It works for me, and not only do labs seem to "get" crate training, but they (hopefully) start treating the crate or travel kennel as a sanctuary, or Asylum, if you will. That is a good thing.

This is great advice. Crate training will save you and the dog a LOAD of confusion and frustration. The key to crate training (as put in bold) is to limit the puppy/dog to the amount of space you give him in his crate. As said above they will not soil the place they sleep in so make sure he only has enough room to turn around and lay down in, that's it. Put a piece of cardboard or other solid material in the crate to fill up the space you want him to not use while training him. As he grows you can adjust it if necessary but again, the dog WILL learn quickly if guided consistently.
Pulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:53 PM   #57
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

He's getting good about going out now at the end of day 1. He's gone out about 4x in a row, and I'm startin to pick up on his signals, and he's starting to go to the door when he needs to go. Not bad for only day 1. Would you guys crate him even when your home? When were home he usually follows us around the house. What would you guys suggest?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:55 PM   #58
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Also would you guys pick his food up after a certain time even though there is food in the bowl still?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:56 PM   #59
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

yep.. nothing cuter and more irresistable than a lab pup, but try to crate him intermittently throughout the day so he is used to it, and will learn to be comfortable in it no matter the circumstance. Sounds like you are doing a great job so far!
Old 10-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #60
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Also would you guys pick his food up after a certain time even though there is food in the bowl still?
Self feeding vs. scheduled feedings are a personal choice, for you and the dog, when he gets older, some do very well, some don't, and get huuuuuge, in the wrong way.
With a puppy, I would schedule 3 or 4 feedings in a day, and pick it up when he slows eating. Like magic, he will need to go out within 10 or 15 minutes at the tops to take care of business.