Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default ...and the pussification continues.

I took Angela (Lisa's 9 year old daughter) to the grocery store last night. She was helping me shop and was riding on the front of the grocery cart where kids are supposed to be.
We were about to check out when the store manager informed me that she wasn't allowed to ride on the front of the cart. My response was "You're shitting me, right?"
The lady just smiled and shrugged.
This is the same store where the clerks aren't allowed to touch anything heavier than a milk jug. You have to leave that stuff in the bottom of the cart so no one gets hurt.
On the way out, Ange assumed her position riding the back of the cart while I pushed. We ran into the same lady, but she just smiled. We figured for sure we were gonna catch hell again.
Once we got outside, we both rode the cart to the car.
Ahhhh, the small victories.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: ...and the pussification continues.

sounds like she was just doing her job and said what she was required to and then let you do as you pleased

could have been worse
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

First Name: Lumpy
Trading: (3)
Cuaba
Lumpold has disabled reputation

I'd rather someones kid rode in the trolley, than ran round my ankles. Not saying yours would (she might, I dunno), but, damn me straight to hell, I've had to have arguments with parents who've wanted me to apologise to their kid after he/she ran smack bang into my stationary trolley. If you can't keep the kid under control.... in the trolley, or with a sitter.

TAMF,PPAB,ETWWWUTL,LITMPTYCL
Lumpold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
Martel

Blame the ridiculous lawsuits. Unfortunately, businesses need to cover their asses because there are plenty of people who would sue the store instantly if their child were injured in any way, regardless of who was really responsible.

I've been on the receiving end of 2 frivolous lawsuits and it is no fun and very costly.

Cheers,
G
Old 11-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
Prefy
Connoisseur of Pucks

First Name: Matt
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Prefy will become famous soon enough

I don't think Scott is made at the grocery store per say, but more at the way society has become.

I used to love going shopping with my Grandpa and have him push me around on the shopping cart, I intend to do it when I have kids
Prefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
mariogolbee

Sounds like fun, Scott. Most kids will be fine on the front of a shopping cart. Unfortunately, one or more will eventually fall. When they do, the store may be sued, and the blow from the impact of the linoleum covered concrete slab in the store to the head of a child may also give them permanent brain damage. I know I can't protect my daughter from everything, but she has just as much fun pushing the cart as she would on the front. Call me a ***** if you want, but I don't want my daughter to be drooling incoherently for the rest of her life.

Here are a few links. 24,000 plus injuries? Just something to think about. Love ya, Scott!

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5075.html

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;118/2/825

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/hidde...opping_crt.htm
Old 11-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

We have a whole generation in this country who were taught they have no responsibity attached to their actions, it is always someone else fault

That's why everyone gets a prize in kids sports, no one ever loses.

The reality is no one ever wins.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

The real problem is piss poor parenting...More often than not, this is the cause of injuries and such which make stores, companies etc. so afraid.

I let my kids also have fun Scott. I'm with ya on this one. It's a shame that a few rotten apples have to ruin it for all of us. I can watch my kids and insure their safety. Some cannot. Then they look for that free ride at the expense of others.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
Bunker
New hardware installed.

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
The real problem is piss poor parenting...More often than not, this is the cause of injuries and such which make stores, companies etc. so afraid.

I let my kids also have fun Scott. I'm with ya on this one. It's a shame that a few rotten apples have to ruin it for all of us. I can watch my kids and insure their safety. Some cannot. Then they look for that free ride at the expense of others.
And YOU will take responsibilty for them if you screw up having fun and something bad happens.

Not too many of us left that will do that.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
And YOU will take responsibilty for them if you screw up having fun and something bad happens.

Not too many of us left that will do that.
Agreed. I'm not the type of person to file some retarded lawsuit because of my ineptness as a parent. I bust my ass for everything I own, I wouldn't have it any other way...
Old 11-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #11
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

This reminds me of what my daughter's maternal grandmother used to say about her car seat. She just said, "I drive safely. We're not going to get into an accident!" Lady, it's not called an ACCIDENT for sh!ts and giggles! Accidents are just that, they are accidents. Nobody plans them. Just because you're safe with your cart, etc, doesn't mean sh!t doesn't happen. It doesn't take much height for direct impact to affect the brain. I knew a very seasoned and able carpenter who fell off a 3' ladder a few years back and died. That's a pretty short ladder. Also, I don't think he planned it.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #12
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
This reminds me of what my daughter's maternal grandmother used to say about her car seat. She just said, "I drive safely. We're not going to get into an accident!" Lady, it's not called an ACCIDENT for sh!ts and giggles! Accidents are just that, they are accidents. Nobody plans them. Just because you're safe with your cart, etc, doesn't mean sh!t doesn't happen. It doesn't take much height for direct impact to affect the brain. I knew a very seasoned and able carpenter who fell off a 3' ladder a few years back and died. That's a pretty short ladder. Also, I don't think he planned it.
I agree with you on the car seat thing. But I'm not running around the store full sprint with my kids hanging onto the cart.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I used to ride on the front of carts all the time as a kid, and look how I turned out.

Um....okay. Piss poor example.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I used to ride on the front of carts all the time as a kid, and look how I turned out.

Um....okay. Piss poor example.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #15
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I would have just told the store manager that you wanted her up there where you could observe her without getting too close since she has a highly infections and drug resistant form of TB, you know, kind of like the TB Airplane guy a year or so ago, the one whose FIL is a TB scientist at the CDC. "Angelea, be a dear and cough for the store mager now..."
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #16
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Hmmm, I skateboarded without a helmet and pads, rode my bike with an extra set of forks banged onto my banana seat bike for the chopper look (again with no helmet), went swimming in lakes, quarrys, climed trees and all kinds of "dangerous" ****. I don't care what a parent does short of stuffing their kid in a glass bubble, stuff is gonna happen. It's called life. I seriously hope I leave life on my motorcycle with a grin and peace of mind rather than laying up in some soft bed, drooling on myself, not knowing who I am due to dememtia.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #17
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

When I was a pup that use to be my favorite!

Whom I kidding I use to have my ex push me like that as recently as this spring
Old 11-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #18
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

I guess thats better than the night my 4 yr old daughter and I had a toilet paper roll fight at fresh and easy.

In my defense, we didn't make a mess, and the store was pretty empty. Also my wife dragged me there, so it's her fault.

PS. daughter normally shops with mommy, and isn't allowed to move a foot from the cart. or touch anything. poor kid.
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #19
BC-Axeman

Pushing your own cart will be banned soon. It's for your own good. Don't worry, the licensed professional pushers will not be too expensive. You won't be able to afford a cart full of food unless you can afford to pay the pusher anyway.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #20
Bunker
New hardware installed.

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Pushing your own cart will be banned soon. It's for your own good. Don't worry, the licensed professional pushers will not be too expensive. You won't be able to afford a cart full of food unless you can afford to pay the pusher anyway.
Your assuming we can afford a full cart now. I remember filling the cart for $70-75, now that get's you 4 bags full if you're lucky.