Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-29-2010, 05:02 AM   #21
tomc3084
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (26)
tomc3084 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Coolidors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyRocks View Post
I got one of these from Walmart to store my singles & 5 packs (only cost about $6). It takes up a bit of room, but helps keep everything organized in my coolidor. Buy boxes if you can, and like others have said, check with a local B&M, usually they're more than willing to give you old boxes. I like to take the tops off mine and let the air circulate.

(Humidity is a little high, but it was a pretty hot and humid day here today)
I am really digging that device you have for you singles
Old 06-29-2010, 06:11 AM   #22
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukky View Post
tryin to determine if it is worth the extra money for the Shilala beads or just stick with heartfelt. Thoughts?
Heartfelt all the way. A man needs a bead he can pour water on.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #23
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

While you are single is the best time to get the cabinet . You can budget for it easier now then in 15 years with a wife and kids soaking up your cash . You're only young once , take advantage of it !
Old 01-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #24
forms

Hi all,

I recently set-up a coolidor, and I was hoping on some advice...

In my haste to get the thing set-up, I didn't clean the inside of the wine fridge at all. Having done some reading since, I learned that the new plastic smell that coolers and fridges generally have can be pretty bad for you cigars (in terms of them soaking up the odour).
Old 01-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #25
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forms View Post
Hi all,

I recently set-up a coolidor, and I was hoping on some advice...

In my haste to get the thing set-up, I didn't clean the inside of the wine fridge at all. Having done some reading since, I learned that the new plastic smell that coolers and fridges generally have can be pretty bad for you cigars (in terms of them soaking up the odour).
Just take out your smokes and store them in ziplocks or tupperware, they will last up to a week without any need for humidification. Wipe down the inside walls with a new damp sponge and baking soda. Let it dry for a few hours with the door open, then put your smoked back.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #26
forms

(Sorry about the above, hit enter accidently before I was done...)

Hi all,

I recently set-up a coolidor, and I was hoping for some advice...

In my haste to get the thing set-up, I didn't clean the inside of the wine fridge at all. Having done some reading since, I learned that the new plastic smell that coolers and fridges generally have can be pretty bad for your cigars (in terms of them soaking up the odour).
I opened the coolidor to find that it did have a slight plastically smell. I removed all cigars (which were all in their original boxes), and wiped down the inside of the fridge with a cloth and a little distilled water - the smell still remains, though only very slightly. My cigars are now back in the coolidor.

I'm worrying about whether I should again, get the cigars out, but this time clean it down with water and a little washing up liquid. I've read that if I do this, I'll have to then re-wash it with just water to ensure that the smell from the detergent doesn't get into the cigars, and then leave the coolidor off and open for a few hours while it dries fully. Firstly, if I have to use distilled water for all of this, I'm confident that there won't be much left in the bottle , and it was quite hard to come by. I'm also anxious that my heartfelt beads may be affected. If I leave them out in my house, will they absorb impurities from the air? If so, can this be avoided by putting them in a zip-lock bag?

The cigars have only been in the coolidor for about 3 days, I smelled a few of them, and couldn't pick up a scent of the plastic on them, which I'm taking as a good sign - I'm yet to smoke any though...

Sorry if there is already a post on this topic, I have searched, but to no avail.

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #27
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

I believe you can use tap water and detergent to clean the cooler as long as you let it air dry before adding the cigars and beads.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #28
Springsman

Would maybe an older Coleman metal type cooler be better than say the newer all plastic things?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #29
forms

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Just take out your smokes and store them in ziplocks or tupperware, they will last up to a week without any need for humidification. Wipe down the inside walls with a new damp sponge and baking soda. Let it dry for a few hours with the door open, then put your smoked back.
Thanks for that. So, is detergent a bad idea then? Should I be in a hurry to get the cigars back out of the coolidor, or can I leave them over-night? Will smells be absorbed that quickly by the cigars??
Old 01-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #30
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springsman View Post
Would maybe an older Coleman metal type cooler be better than say the newer all plastic things?
Either will work fine. The metal ones do have a latching system, but most of the newer plastic coolers seal extremely well without.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #31
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Quote:
Thanks for that. So, is detergent a bad idea then? Should I be in a hurry to get the cigars back out of the coolidor, or can I leave them over-night? Will smells be absorbed that quickly by the cigars??
No rush, overnight is fine. Detergent just adds an extra step as you will need to rinse out the detergent. Be sure and use a new sponge so you dont get any smells from an old sponge. Just sprinkle the damp sponge with baking soda, dont scrub too hard just wipe it down and it should be fine.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #32
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I just used soap and water with mine. Never smelled any plastic in the first place...certainly don't smell it now.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #33
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

good tips. I'll need this info pretty soon if all goes well.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #34
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

When I set up my old cooler and vino I just wiped it down with water and soap then Dried it real good and left the door open for a day.

After a day I put 2 boxes of arm and hammer baking soda in there to absorb the smell if by for a few days.

Then removed everything threw beads in waited a day or two and put the smokes in.

Never had a issue ever.
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #35
forms

OK, I've washed down my fridge with some warm water and some bicarbonate of soda. It still seems to have a faint odour of plastic/rubber - I'm going to let it dry fully over-night, and then put a small plate with some soda on it in the fridge for a few hours. If that doesn't clear the smell, then screw it, it'll have to do!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #36
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Quote:
OK, I've washed down my fridge with some warm water and some bicarbonate of soda. It still seems to have a faint odour of plastic/rubber - I'm going to let it dry fully over-night, and then put a small plate with some soda on it in the fridge for a few hours. If that doesn't clear the smell, then screw it, it'll have to do!
Sounds like a plan! Its unlikely the faint smell will ever get into your cigars. We are all just a bit anal when it comes to our babies.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #37
Cornrow_Wallis
<insert user title>

First Name: Rob
Trading: (8)
Cornrow_Wallis is on a distinguished road

Another fan of the coolidor checking in. Much happier with my igloo than my desktops.
Quote:
if I have to use distilled water for all of this, I'm confident that there won't be much left in the bottle , and it was quite hard to come by.
Have you checked your local grocery store? If you need more it might be worth a shot.
Cornrow_Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #38
forms

I eventually managed to get a litre bottle from from a model-train company. I had tried chemists, hardware/motoring shops, petrol stations, supermarkets (grocery stores as well) with no luck. The bottle I bought ended up being about £9 with postage - would've lasted for ages if I hadn't cleaned my fridge with it, but there's still a fair bit left so it's not the end of the world. I'm not certain, but it seems that distilled water is harder to get hold of in the UK, than in the States...
Old 01-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #39
Damocles

Wow, no kidding! We can get distilled water just about anywhere here...

Guys, this is a great thread. I'm not single in an apartment, but am married with kids (read: no money!) so I'm gonna go the coolidor route!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #40
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Quote:
I eventually managed to get a litre bottle from from a model-train company. I had tried chemists, hardware/motoring shops, petrol stations, supermarkets (grocery stores as well) with no luck. The bottle I bought ended up being about £9 with postage - would've lasted for ages if I hadn't cleaned my fridge with it, but there's still a fair bit left so it's not the end of the world. I'm not certain, but it seems that distilled water is harder to get hold of in the UK, than in the States...
http://www.thedistilledwatercompany.com/