Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
nyisles

Default Joya De Nicaragua Cabinetta Another View...

Well known for their powerhouse Antaño® line, the Cabinetta Serie is an unexpected departure from their classic full-bodied style of blends. This new blend is a marriage of a creamy, milder filler recipe of tobaccos complemented by the spicy taste sensation of its unique double-wrapped, Habano-Seed leaf head.

If you use Twitter you can follow Drew Estate via @DrewEstateCigar

Cigar: Joya De Nicaragua Cabinetta Serie
Size: 6 x 52 (Toro)
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Shade & Nicaraguan Criollo
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Strength: Medium

Appearance and Construction (17/20): When these cigars are sitting in the humidor you almost have to do a double take because of the difference in colors from the head and foot of the cigar. At first you think there is a sleeve of some sorts but once you realize there is not you think, “wow this is a pretty cool looking stogie”. The shade grown wrapper has a nice appearance to it with some visible oils and is blemish free. The Criollo wrapper reveals a faint tooth and the almost flat cap is perfectly placed. There are so no soft spots here. The band has a slightly unfinished look, and almost looks like a prototype instead of a finished product.

Flavor & Notes (27/30): The prelight process is something I feel is necessary to allow one to open up the taste buds. I do this with every cigar, so in turn my reviews have a familiar feel. The foot of the cigar offers notes of spice and smoked wood.The draw has a subtle sweetness to it. Once the cigar is lit I am surprised by how creamy this cigar is. The notes are amazing from the get go. The primary note is cinnamon along with some nice wood notes. The second third of the cigar becomes a power struggle between the wood and cinnamon while some leather sneaks into the background. The final third has a nice change once you hit the criollo wrapper. There is some coffee notes on the finish.

Smoking Characteristics (23/25): Looking at the cigar I was worried it would fall apart on me at wrapper change or even split. That has not happened on any of my samples. This burned pretty even from start to finish. The ash was a little weak and I wound up with a pile of ash under where I was sitting. The draw was ideal and I never needed to relight.

Overall (23/25): This was an interesting smoke and it kept my interest from start to finish and it is definitely a conversation piece. I was never a fan of cigars like Acid but I was able to understand why people smoked them and how it helped our community grow. I personally am happy to see Drew Estate have so many sticks coming out that are so enjoyable. I highly recommend this cigar.

Rating: 90
Price: $6.05 MSRP before local taxes.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

First Name: larry
Trading: (0)
Partagas
thebiglebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Joya De Nicaragua Cabinetta Another View...

thanks for the review. but i'm curious - did drew estate have anything to do with manufacturing/blending this series? i thought they just handled the distribution for JdN?
thebiglebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
nyisles

I think the tobacco comes from their farm. But don't hold me to that.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski View Post
thanks for the review. but i'm curious - did drew estate have anything to do with manufacturing/blending this series? i thought they just handled the distribution for JdN?
This is correct. I was at a JdN/Drew Estates event a month ago and Drew Estates handles the distribution, etc. of JdN. One of the Drew Estates Reps laid out the whole story at the end of the night. It was a good event and I'm impressed with the way Drew Estates handled it.