Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about
Default Illusione Cigars Number 23 (Culebra)

On Saturday February 27th, my buddy Red (redbeerd9er on Twitter) and I celebrated his birthday with an all-day herf at our local B&M, House of Cigar. We had just finished smoking a fantastic newly-released cigar (I have something special coming up for that review, so more on that soon) when Red dove into the walk-in humidor and surfaced with this: the Illusione Cigars Number 23 (Culebra). He said that it was his birthday and he wanted to share one of these. Who am I to turn down someone's birthday wish? So we untied it and lit it up.

Specifics

Vitola: (Culebra)
Length: 7
Ring Gauge: 36
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Price: $21 (for all three cigars)
Smoking Location: House of Cigar, Columbus, Ohio
Beverage: Coke

Pre-Light

Culebras are always crazy-looking cigars. I'm not sure how they bend them that way and when you smoke them, I'm not sure how they burn straight, but they do. The Illusione no. 23 had a very nice dark chocolate wrapper that had some pretty big veins. The un-lit aroma from the cigar was sweet and had a slight barnyard smell to it. After clipping the head and taking a few cold draws, I could tell that this no. 23 was very tight. It didn't have much flavor on the cold draw and the resistance was very troublesome.

First Third

This first third of my Illusione no. 23 tasted great. The problem was the draw. This cigar was so tight that pulling any smoke through it took four or five puffs. Red noted that it was like trying to drink a McDonald's milk shake. When I did get smoke through it, I was tasting a really nice leather flavor, mixed with some very mild white pepper notes. The smoke had a thick creamy texture to it that coated your palate for a long time between draws. The body was a solid medium.

Second Third

I had hoped that the draw would free up after burning the cigar past the first bend in the Culebra shape. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. This stick was plugged. Again, when I did get smoke through it, I got a great smooth leather taste mixed with a stronger white pepper flavor and some mild cocoa notes. The body had picked up a bit and pushed more into the full range.

Final Third and Final Thoughts

I didn't get far into the final third of my Illusione 23. The draw was so tight that I had to put the stick down. I was constantly relighting, trying to get it to smoke and get those great flavors back. During this process, the cigar just got too hot. The only thing I tasted was an unpleasant, over-powering spice.

Would I buy it again?
I have really liked everything I have smoked from Illusione until this cigar. With that said, I would buy this cigar again (I didn't buy this one) and hope for one that was not plugged. The flavors were really good when I did get smoke and right on par with all of the other Illusione sticks. I think it warrants another shot sometime soon. The best part about this stick today was sharing it with a friend on his birthday. For that reason alone, I really wish it would have performed better.

Would I buy a box?
Culebras are more of a novelty cigar so I'm not sure I'd buy a box of them. However, with only 3 in a box, I might get one and share them at another special occasion.

For more pictures please visit http://crookedburn.blogspot.com/

thanks,
Dan
Old 02-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Illusione Cigars Number 23 (Culebra)

Nice review. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
jaydub13
aka Little Pickle

First Name: Jason
Trading: (5)
Partagas
jaydub13 is on a distinguished road

Well done! Thorough review, thanks for the help!
jaydub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
okieRob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: I'm not telling
Trading: (6)
okieRob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreeve View Post
had a slight barnyard smell to it.
Maybe it is just me but this hit me as kind of funny

Seriously though, great review. I'll have to try one of these if I can find one. I'm a pretty big illusion fan.
okieRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the review!

I hope to buy one of these for my birthday on Friday to smoke with a couple of buddies...

It's the only Culebra my B&M carries.
issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Thanks for sharing. I had the same experience with this smoke... flavor wise, I thought it was your typical Illusione. The burn/draw sucked, I think I had to relight it about 5 times. I pitched mine a little more than half way into it. I wanted to like this cigar, I really did, but it just did not cut it for me.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
srduggins
Feeling at Home

First Name: steve
Trading: (37)
LGC
srduggins will become famous soon enoughsrduggins will become famous soon enough

The draw on the two I had was perfect and this has been my favorite of the regular Illusione line. I might even like it better than the eccj.
srduggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review! I've always wondered about them.
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
papichulo
Diablo Canoso

papichulo will become famous soon enough

I am a big Illusione MK fan; not to mention I love the whole line. I have had my sights out for this cigar(s) for a while. Maybe one day I will be blessed. Thanks for sharing.