Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #21
Cigary

Default Re: Lotus Vertigo is a rip off even at 20 bucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowgoat View Post
Thats a shame!

What makes a torch lighter better then another? I can't see buying a $200 lighter that's the same as a $20 lighter with the same guts that will brake in a few days.
Are all the mechanisms and guts the same?

I've had $60 lighters that looked like they had the same thing inside them as a $20 lighter which is why I will not buy a lighter for over 20 anymore.
How right you are,,,I have broken down the lines of Colibri, Prometheus and others and the mechanisms are pretty much the same so all you are paying for is the pretty outside. If I had a lump of coal that spit fire everytime I cranked it for cheap,,,I'd get it.

Quote:
LOL
Yeah, Cigary is helping me out with the Ronsons. So Hit him with some RG will ya's! He needs a smoke ring.
Lol,,,smoke rings are good,,,cigars are better.

Quote:
They are sending a new one to me. Hopefully it'll work longer then 6 hours this time.

Does Lotus have a website? I could only find the car website.
If u are getting a new one do u still need the Ronsons? I went by WallyWorld and they sold every friggin one they had but I still have my other ones,,,will send you a few if you still need em,,,,,
Old 03-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #22
yellowgoat

Thats ok, I talked with my cousin today and ask her to look at the wall mart in Woodstock Ill where she lives, They had six and I told her to grab em' all up. I get them tomorrow.

Thanks very much for your help and looking for me!
If anything I can do for you on my side of the earth, Let me know!

Cheers!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #23
yellowgoat

I see no reason on buying or owning a expensive lighter. This $3 lighter out performs anything that I have used.

I feel stupid for buying a $100 that broke so I ended up getting that repaired and selling it for 40 and all the $20's and $50's lost buying over priced crappers when I could have been buying a few nice smokes is mind boggling.

LOL
Cheers!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #24
yellowgoat

Someone posted they wanted the Lotus! Who, What, Where'd ya go?

I know I'm not drunk yet!! I read it and had to do e mail stuff and it was gone! I swear! I'm not seeing things...
Old 03-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #25
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Someone posted they wanted the Lotus! Who, What, Where'd ya go?

I know I'm not drunk yet!! I read it and had to do e mail stuff and it was gone! I swear! I'm not seeing things...
Sorry Jeff..that was me...I was gonna trade ya a ronson for the Lotus but I didn't see that you already have ronsons coming to ya..
Old 03-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #26
yellowgoat

Well, I don't need anymore ronson's.

The problem with the Lotus is that the ignition doesn't work very well at all. It will light after 20 or more clicks. If you can fix it or just want it it's yours.
send me you addy and I'll send it to when I go to the post office for the Pipe Tobacco Of the Month Club thing.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #27
imthegoal
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Brian
Trading: (4)
LGC Army (Active)
imthegoal will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the Lotus. I have a Lotus 2500 and it is the best lighter I have ever had. Whenever I bring it to herfs everyone ends up using it instead of theirs. That includes Dupont's, Xikars, ronsons and countless others.
imthegoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #28
Cigary

Quote:
Thats ok, I talked with my cousin today and ask her to look at the wall mart in Woodstock Ill where she lives, They had six and I told her to grab em' all up. I get them tomorrow.

Thanks very much for your help and looking for me!
If anything I can do for you on my side of the earth, Let me know!

Cheers!
Good to know you got a connection there,,,you won't be sorry, Jeff. I still am using the very first one I bought 6 months ago,,fires every time. I don't even purge it most times and I just refill and it takes a few strokes and I'm good again. It's like this lighter refuses to screw up,,,and I counted last night I still have 9 of them left. At this rate I'll never need a lighter again. If is screws up or I lose it,,no biggie because I have lost some very expensive lighters in my career and almost cried or tore the car and house up looking for it.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #29
yellowgoat

I'm liking it! I've been using it all day and it hasn't failed once! sparks every single time.
She got me six of them and she will grab any that she finds from now on.

Woodstock is now outta stock!
Old 03-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #30
Cigary

Quote:
I'm liking it! I've been using it all day and it hasn't failed once! sparks every single time.
She got me six of them and she will grab any that she finds from now on.

Woodstock is now outta stock!
I know what you mean, now when I go to WallyMart I check anyway to see if they have any and I fight myself to keep buying more because they are so damn cheap. They have the feel of an expensive lighter,,,they fire up like a $100 lighter,,,it's a single flame like I like because I'm not going to weld something with this. I have 2 and 3 flame lighters and they go thru butane like crazy. With a single flame you aren't going to torch the cigar like a flame thrower,,just toast it and smoke it. I'm thinking an even dozen is enough,,,,so only 3 more to buy. Yeah right, I will buy 10 if they have them next time!!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #31
pmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
Xikars have a lifetime warranty. You really can't go wrong. I don't know why someone would say it's not an upgrade. Maybe because they don't cost more?

Lotus lighters are not really very expensive. But in terms of quality Xicar isn't in the same league. I have my choice of lighters to sell but the ONLY one I carry right now and I carry the whole line...is lotus.

I mean c'mon guys...Colibri offered lifetime warranties...before they cut them down to 2 years....before they went under.

Warranties don't make a lighter any good. If you don't like a soft flame...which I personally love...lotus is a good way to go and every bit as good IMO as prometheus for a fraction of the price.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #32
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
What a suck ass lighter!!
Sorry
to change the possible vendor situation on the replacement, but have you
tried the Ronson Jet-lite? Available at finer Walmarts and Rite-Aids every-
where? 3 bucks and they work and work and work and work. I like to say,
and this is copyrighted by the way, It's like a Bic and a Zippo had a baby.
And that baby was raised by a jet-type lighter.

--------------------------

DERH! read the other posts OLS!
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:07 AM   #33
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The problem with the Lotus is that the ignition doesn't work very well at all.
It will light after 20 or more clicks.
You know, what people don't think about is that you are
losing butane every time you click the trigger and get no light. 20 times is a hell of a lot of gas wasted.
And to qualify the Ronson reccomendation, out of the 10 I own, three are in working rotation at present
and one I had broke after a week. But this is certainly an abberation. And at 3 bucks I did not notice.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #34
jrwingate6

Lotus sucks hardcore. I would never buy one of their lighters.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #35
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwingate6 View Post
Bro, based on your Palio post, I dont think your opinion counts a whole lot. How can you comment on a product's quality unless you have owned one?
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #36
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwingate6 View Post
Kind of like those cheap looking Palio's you own/bought/wanted to buy/are going to buy/whatever. Perhaps you should just put your agenda on the table
Old 03-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #37
Totemic
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Totemic is on a distinguished road

My wife has the Lotus L11 (a pipe lighter) and I have the Lotus L36. Both seem to be working just fine. Although the butane tank on the L36 seems a bit small since I've had to refill it quite often.

Beyond that, the usual maintenance steps (purge it, every few refills) and so far so good.

I did use a Colibre for a while before it gave up the ghost. I'm no longer able to refill it. Everytime I try, the butane goes squirting all over the place--almost as if the refill port is completely plugged.

I also had a Xikar lighter which worked pretty well. I gave that to my sister.
Totemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #38
pmp

I just noticed that the original post is talking about the lotus vertigo. That is their very low end lighter. I get those in cartons of 12 or something like that. Not that those are bad lighters but they are very cheap and you can't really compare them to the numbered lotus series. Honestly I'm not sure that really qualifies one to say that all lotus lighters are crap.(Which I realize is not what you are saying but others have suggested)

Their high end lighters(30-70 dollar range) are very well made and well worth the money.

Last edited by pmp; 03-17-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:30 AM   #39
Stonewall

Sorry to hear about your Lotus I have to say I love mine it is a Lotus L1 100 Series Torch it is a little higher end lotus. I purchased it at CI for $40.00 it says it is $99.99 MSRP I don't know, but it was worth the $40 I payed for it. The only problem I had with it was it was set way to high and way to much fuel would come out when trying to light it, and I only could light it when the darn thing was almost empty. I took off the adjuster knob and turned down the amount of fuel that was expelled when lighting and have no problems since. I can fill the thing up all the way and it will light every time. Another thing I love about the lighter is it lights on the side and not strait up and down, it just seems easier to light my sticks that way. If you are looking for another light a little more high end I can not say enough good things about this Lotus. Just adjust the fuel knob when you get it and it will work like a champ!!
Josh
Old 03-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #40
Barteur
Golf is life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (18)
Cohiba
Barteur will become famous soon enough

Quote:
LOL Yeah, I had a lotus before but it took a year and a car running over it to break down.

I been looking at the Xikar Plunge or a Nibo Space 6 Triple Jet. Anyone had any luck with them? I seem to have nothing but bad luck with torch lighters. I had Blazer that looked like the Xikar Executive, and it lasted a week before it started spiting all it's fuel out at me.
Zippo is the best.
I have a Nibo and no problem till now, fuel don`t last too long, thats my down point, good luck
Frenchie