Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 01-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Crockpot Barbacoa

I made this for dinner today, let me tell you it turned out awesome. It's a recipe from author/blogger Hank Shaw. I didn't have any venison as he calls for in his recipe, so I used a 3lb pork shoulder roast.

Serves 4 to 6.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 3 hours, more or less

2 to 3 pounds venison, from the shoulder or legs
2 to 4 canned chipotles in adobo
1 red onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon kosher salt
½ cup lime juice
½ cup cider vinegar
1 quart beef or venison stock
1/4 cup lard or vegetable oil (if using venison or another very lean meat, not necessary for pork or beef)
Smoked salt (optional)
Cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream, avocados and hot sauce for garnish

Put everything in a slow cooker or Dutch oven and cook, covered, until the meat falls off the bone, which will be between 2 hours (for many domestic meats and young deer) and 6 hours if you have a very old animal. If you use a slow cooker, set it to “high.” If you use a regular pot, put it into the oven set to 300°F.
Pull all the meat from the bones and shred with forks or your fingers. Stir in the lard and as much smoked salt as you want. You want the lard or oil to coat the shreds of meat. Pour over some of the juices from the pot and put the meat in a pan for the table. Serve with tacos, in a burrito or on a bun.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Crockpot Barbacoa

Sounds tasty
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Veatorious
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
Veatorious will become famous soon enough

Good post Bob. I will try this recipe with some of my venison.
Veatorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Definitely give it a try Ryan. Mine took about 6 hours on high, but then the roast was still frozen. Shredded the meat, put it back in the crock, and left on warm until dinner a few hours later.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

That sounds really tasty, thanks for sharing. I've got about three pounds of Boston Butt sitting in the freezer that might get used for this.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

I have 2 deer in the freezer and was running out of recipes. I cant wait to try this one. Thanks
Old 02-24-2014, 02:01 AM   #7
JamesDO
Just in from the Storm

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
JamesDO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I made this for dinner today, let me tell you it turned out awesome. It's a recipe from author/blogger Hank Shaw. I didn't have any venison as he calls for in his recipe, so I used a 3lb pork shoulder roast.
Sounds great, personally I think I would like it better with the pork than with the venison.
JamesDO is offline   Reply With Quote