Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 03-14-2022, 04:04 AM   #1
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough
Default Smoking a pork shoulder

I've been up since 4am smoking a pork shoulder. Everyone always groans about how early i have to start these things but what's funny is by 4pm nobody seems to be groaning while eating my masterpiece. I've still got a ways to go but so far things are looking good!

Gonna let it hit 189-190 and let it simmer from there for as long as possible getting all that great smoke
Old 03-14-2022, 07:17 AM   #2
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Smoking a pork shoulder

Pellet smoker man...make it easy. I used an offset for 15+ years and a BGE for 10+. Sold it all and bought a RecTeq. Have not looked back. I can put meat on at midnight and roll it for 12-18 hours...
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:26 AM   #3
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

I have a masterbuilt electric smoker. It's a fancy shelf one with the app and all the bells and whistles. It's literally fire and forget. I use wood chips although i am flirting with an offset pellet smoker in the future. God bless you!
Old 03-14-2022, 07:38 AM   #4
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Pellet smoker man...make it easy. I used an offset for 15+ years and a BGE for 10+. Sold it all and bought a RecTeq. Have not looked back. I can put meat on at midnight and roll it for 12-18 hours...
Agree! I still have my Lang 84 for big cooks, but love my Recteq for everyday cooks.
Old 03-14-2022, 08:12 AM   #5
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Old 03-14-2022, 08:24 AM   #6
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post

This is at 178. The hardest part is being patient until it hits 190 and then just letting it ride after that getting all that good smoke. God bless you!
Old 03-14-2022, 10:19 AM   #7
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

8 hours in and 4 more to go. Already hit 190 so now i've turn the temp down to let it just get as much smoke as possible until 4pm. Should be pretty tasty. I'm so happy for electric smokers. Gone are the days of charcoal and wood and 19 hours of waiting. God bless you all
!
Old 03-14-2022, 10:28 AM   #8
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Looking good!
Old 03-14-2022, 10:40 AM   #9
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure the ham sandwich I'm getting ready to make will be comparable. Looking great!
Old 03-14-2022, 11:18 AM   #10
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

My UDS is a charcoal smoker. Every time I open it I fill it with oxygen and the temps flare. It has trained me to trust my instruments and leave it alone. It usually does well to hold temp and I NEVER have to add charcoal or more chunks of apple-wood, even on long smokes. So, I don't have an excuse LOL. I use my remote thermometer to keep an eye on grill temp and meat temp. It has alarms for low/high grill temp, and meat temp. So usually, I smoke meat overnight. I start it in the evening and pull it when the alarm tells me to. Brisket is different of course as it has to be fork tested for tenderness once at temp. This is just making it more difficult.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:44 PM   #11
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

AND it's done! God bless you all!
Old 03-14-2022, 02:23 PM   #12
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Old 03-14-2022, 02:42 PM   #13
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Pork smoking??

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 02:49 PM   #14
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Looks great Jason.
Old 03-14-2022, 03:13 PM   #15
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Nice. You spoke about "everybody"... who is joining you for this feast?

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 03-15-2022, 06:04 AM   #16
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

It looks great! I usually let mine smoke at 160 degrees for an hour and then raise it 225 degrees. I keep it on the Traeger until it hits about 203 degrees.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:10 AM   #17
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Looks great Jason. Nice bark!
Old 03-15-2022, 07:29 AM   #18
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Was It Any Good, Jason?
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:30 AM   #19
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Was It Any Good, Jason?
I think it was the best pork shoulder i've ever done. I used apple juice for the steam and i spritzed it with apple juice every hour or so so it was nice, juicy, and sweet and then you mix that with the vinegar Carolina sauce i make and you have something special. I wish i could've shared it with you all. God bless you!
Old 03-15-2022, 10:55 AM   #20
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceolee View Post
I think it was the best pork shoulder i've ever done. I used apple juice for the steam and i spritzed it with apple juice every hour or so so it was nice, juicy, and sweet and then you mix that with the vinegar Carolina sauce i make and you have something special. I wish i could've shared it with you all. God bless you!
Me, Too!. God Bless You, Brother!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote