Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2022, 10:51 AM   #21
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Starlink?

As soon as the mobile option came out a friend explained that if you don't pay it, and you're outside your service range, then they deprioritize your or allow you to change your address. So, at least my understanding is that since I pay the extra $25/month I still get full speed even though I'm outside my area.

I didn't read that from some official source, that was just word of mouth.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:17 PM   #22
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
As soon as the mobile option came out a friend explained that if you don't pay it, and you're outside your service range, then they deprioritize your or allow you to change your address. So, at least my understanding is that since I pay the extra $25/month I still get full speed even though I'm outside my area.

I didn't read that from some official source, that was just word of mouth.
I thought about switching when they give the option, but I am gonna work on setting mine up as a fail over or load balance when I'm home. Just gotta figure all the logistics of doing it.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:08 PM   #23
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I was really excited to set up mine that way. My Cradlepoint CBA850 has two ports, one of which you can define as a WAN port (based on the VLAN config) and I bought the ethernet adapter for my StarLink router to connect to it. Then my USB LTE modem would be the failover device, which can also be setup for load-balancing. That was the plan but VZW is killing my dream. LOL

The LTE modem I have is called a Telit LM960A18. It's capable of 1200Mbs down and 150Mbs up. It has 4 antenna ports and dual SIM slots, so I could add a SIM (or two) from another carrier if I wanted to go that route still. The CBA850 can strategically use the SIMs too based on monthly data useage/etc.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:52 PM   #24
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
I was really excited to set up mine that way. My Cradlepoint CBA850 has two ports, one of which you can define as a WAN port (based on the VLAN config) and I bought the ethernet adapter for my StarLink router to connect to it. Then my USB LTE modem would be the failover device, which can also be setup for load-balancing. That was the plan but VZW is killing my dream. LOL

The LTE modem I have is called a Telit LM960A18. It's capable of 1200Mbs down and 150Mbs up. It has 4 antenna ports and dual SIM slots, so I could add a SIM (or two) from another carrier if I wanted to go that route still. The CBA850 can strategically use the SIMs too based on monthly data useage/etc.
I would be connecting starlink as failover with a Ubiquiti Unifi Home Network. Watched a video on Crosstalk Solutions and it looks like it would be fairly simple. The problem is I would have to run it quite a ways from the house to get a clear view of the north sky, it's not a have to, more of a want to to learn to tinker. I am no network guy but I know just enough to get by.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:00 AM   #25
Will herf for food

VR

So I swapped my Cradlepoint modem/router SIM card into an unlocked Galaxy S8 just to keep Verizon from terminating my line while waiting on the FCC and they terminated my line anyway. I just got it turned back on after fighting with them for 3 days.

I am probably going to sell my LTE gear if I can now that Verizon won't let me use it. I am going to let my in-laws keep the S8 on hotspot mode for home internet for the time being. It's range and speed won't be amplified by the modem/router's 4 antennas but they'll still be able to use it with no data caps or throttling. They have no internet in their camper now so it would be something.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:18 AM   #26
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
So I swapped my Cradlepoint modem/router SIM card into an unlocked Galaxy S8 just to keep Verizon from terminating my line while waiting on the FCC and they terminated my line anyway. I just got it turned back on after fighting with them for 3 days.

I am probably going to sell my LTE gear if I can now that Verizon won't let me use it. I am going to let my in-laws keep the S8 on hotspot mode for home internet for the time being. It's range and speed won't be amplified by the modem/router's 4 antennas but they'll still be able to use it with no data caps or throttling. They have no internet in their camper now so it would be something.
I know a lot of RVers were using iPad and phone sims in those cellular modems with good service. Recently started reading they were clamping down on it and evidently the info was right.

We used the Starlink for the first time on the road Tuesday through Sunday last week. We had to setup with trees right behind the Travel Trailer, but Thankfully there was a 100 foot road and grass space directly to the front which was also north. Got it set up and it said that there was obstructions but we were still able to use our phones and stream TV the whole time. Once in a while YouTube TV would pause for a couple seconds but all in all I would say it's worth it for sure.