Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 12-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #41
badbriar

Default Re: Bought first Pipe today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksknnr View Post
I was just browsing the forums, and noticed the First pipe in badbriars WTS pipe thread looks awfully familiar, nice job Rob and thank you, but you could not hide for long!
Old 01-05-2015, 06:13 AM   #42
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Bought my first pipe Saturday.
Thought I'd give piping a try after years of cigars. I know they are two different animals but I'm sure it'll be an enjoyable alternative.
Bought a couple of samplers, will be delivered this week and I'm pretty excited to see what's out there!!!
Old 01-05-2015, 06:32 AM   #43
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
Thought I'd give piping a try after years of cigars. I know they are two different animals but I'm sure it'll be an enjoyable alternative.
Bought a couple of samplers, will be delivered this week and I'm pretty excited to see what's out there!!!
Come on Andy, pictures! What'd you get?
Old 01-05-2015, 06:39 AM   #44
blugill
Feeling at Home

blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

I got a Dr Grabow Briar. Nothing fancy at all.
Just a regular looking pipe to learn with.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:52 AM   #45
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
I got a Dr Grabow Briar. Nothing fancy at all.
Just a regular looking pipe to learn with.
I read someplace (probably here) that it's especially important to buy and learn on pipes you really like because you'll enjoy, and smoke them more and therefore get more practice. Also, I've learned that moisture in tobacco causes tongue burn, so once I learned to dry it out a bit, everything changed. I'm still a wicked noob but I've found the folks here can answer anything; it's accelerated the learning curve for me.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:49 AM   #46
The.Sheepdog
I Need More Pipes!

First Name: Bill
Trading: (0)
LGC AirForce (Disabled Vet)
The.Sheepdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It is a different animal indeed. I never smoke cigarettes. But cigars since I was 17 in the Air Force in the RVN war. Nothing like building 500lb bombs with a stogie burning! Fast forward a few decades and I still dont care for ciggs.

But pipes I have had since 21. (off and on) They demand that you relax. A cigar you can clench and work hard or play hard. A pipe requires you to slow down and pace yourself and enjoy the tobacco and the smoke and the pipe.

Reflect on the pretty pipe you bought. Thats the best reason to buy a $100 pipe as any I have heard. (spend more if you have it)

Aromatics seem better at building a cake in the bowl I am finding. Get several if you like it as you need to rotate some so the pipes can dry out between smokes. I have 10 and thats not enough for me.

Only a very few are nice pipes. Some are Dr Grabow ('big pipe' is a good one) and some are hand mades. (Boswell pipes) One Savinelli Alligator, one B-C (Butz-Choquin) calabash, one 1950's pipe and cobs. See I dont have near enough!

You dont either! I chew my pipes too much so I put rubber bits on the end of the stem. Some hate that.

Get a nice drink or something cold, sit in a comfy place, use a soft flame and carry a couple of pipe cleaners with you, and slowly enjoy a whole different world. A very nice world at that!
The.Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #47
badbriar

Quote:
Way to go! You will find that there is a whole world of tastes and flavors out there in pipe tobaccos. IMHO, the variety is wider than I find in cigars - this is just my ! A couple of things to note; Aromatics rarely taste like they smell. Better quality pipe tobacco is truly worth the investment - usually much better flavors. Review youtube videos several times on packing, lighting, etc. Take care in your lighting - don't char the bowl rim!!! DON'T USE A TORCH LIGHTER! Read up on tongue bite and the potential causes.
Get three pipes for your rotation and clean them regularly. Get a cheap 151 rum for cleaning - will definitely sanitize, leaves the bowl slightly sweet and removes mild to moderate ghosting. Check out Smokingpipes.com, Tobaccoratings.com and other good sites for good prices and pipe tobacco reviews. Have fun!
Old 01-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #48
blugill
Feeling at Home

I see my pipe smoking brethren are just as friendly and willing to advise as my cigar smoking brethern!
That's great to know! Another reason to love the Asylum!
Old 01-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #49
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
I see my pipe smoking brethren are just as friendly and willing to advise as my cigar smoking brethern!
The slope is just as slippery on this side. Don't forget accessories!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:21 AM   #50
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

.... And you never have too many pipes - especially after the PAD infection strikes.
(Pipe acquisition disorder)

I give you month ....

Tops.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #51
The.Sheepdog
I Need More Pipes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
.... And you never have too many pipes - especially after the PAD infection strikes.
(Pipe acquisition disorder)

I give you month ....

Tops.
OOH it has a name! I'm legit!
Old 01-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #52
ksknnr
Feeling at Home

First Name: Kevin
ksknnr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Andy, you have no idea, I started this thread, and have been getting hit ever since Great, great bunch of guys.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:56 AM   #53
The.Sheepdog
I Need More Pipes!

Kevin, You can start a thread for me anytime you want! You got the touch!