Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 01-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #41
druturn

Default Re: Heritage Dr. Pepper and Throwback Mtn. Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
We have Dr. Pepper in Europe too, and a better recipe then in the US, with real sugar.
Those are some big claims Don! I not only live in the city that Dr. Pepper is bottled in, but also have made my pilgrimage to the Mecca of Dr. Pepper in Dublin(Texas that is)!

Last edited by druturn; 01-07-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #42
Guitarman-S.T-
"ESP+ENGL&amp ;qu ot;-Brutal

First Name: S.T
Trading: (11)
SCdlH
Guitarman-S.T- will become famous soon enough

I enjoyed the Mtn.Dew, Pepsi was good as well, just different because of how jacked up our taste buds are because of HFCS haha.

Used to be a HUGE Dr.Pepp guy, Lately I don't care for it, Extremely sweet... So My search is still on for the throw back, Maybe I'll have to cellar a few 12 packs
Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #43
n3uka
Feeling at Home

Trading: (30)
Cohiba
n3uka has disabled reputation

Picked up a 12er of the dr pepper at Target today.
hope it lives up to expectations.
n3uka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #44
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2vr6 View Post
None of the heritage stuff is available here in Canada, love the Blu Sky Soda lines though (no HCF's and real flavoring): http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__Ni_6snbU4...lueskycola.gif
Real sugar is a start, but I have no time for a cola without kola nut flavor. Once you check out a real cola, you'll recognize the big brands for what they are.

Padron is to Macanudo as real cola is to Coke and Pepsi.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:47 AM   #45
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Real sugar is a start, but I have no time for a cola without kola nut flavor. Once you check out a real cola, you'll recognize the big brands for what they are.

Padron is to Macanudo as real cola is to Coke and Pepsi.
Please advise as to where one can obtain cola with real kola nut flavor. I've always wanted to try some. Also, Macanudo may not be your preference but it is a real, hand made cigar. Wouldn't it be more like Padron to Swisher Sweet, etc.?

Tried Target today with no luck. I'll check out Nob Hill manana. That's where I finally found Pepsi Throwback before.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:32 AM   #46
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by druturn View Post
Those are some big claims Don! I not only live in the city that Dr. Pepper is bottled in, but also have made my pilgrimage to the Mecca of Dr. Pepper in Dublin(Texas that is)!
It's not a big claim after you tasted the European recipe of Dr Pepper. You'll find out soon enough.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #47
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
Please advise as to where one can obtain cola with real kola nut flavor. I've always wanted to try some.
Well, like the post I quoted, I recommend Blue Sky. You can find it in many "health" food sections and at co-ops. If you live near a Whole Foods, you can find my personal fave, 365 Cola. It's their house brand. It's delicious, all natural, real sugar and lots of kola nut and it's freakin' cheap, too.

Quote:
Also, Macanudo may not be your preference but it is a real, hand made cigar. Wouldn't it be more like Padron to Swisher Sweet, etc.?
At the end of the day, a good cola's still a can of sweet fizzy-water, too. Your analogy is fine, but I stand by mine. Padron and Macanudo have similar texture, size and burn characteristics. From most aesthetic angles, they're pretty much the same- but one has 10 times the flavor of the other.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #48
krevo
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Travis
Trading: (3)
krevo is on a distinguished road

"Dublin" Dr. Pepper has been around forever in Texas.
krevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #49
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

I'm not a Dr. Pepper fan (stone me ) but the Throwback Mt. Dew does take me back to my teen years in the 70's. We didn't have a lot of soda (watered down Kool-aid and milk--whole milk, there was no other kind!--were the beverages of choice in my house, besides my dad's Old Milwaukee cans.) So when I could ride my bike out to the 7-11 a few neighborhoods over, I'd grab a Mt. Dew and a comic book (which I wasn't supposed to have, either.) I was livin' on the edge.

So, yea, I really enjoy the Throwback Mt. Dew. It tastes like that, to me.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #50
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I tried the Mnt Dew today...didn't notice a difference at all.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #51
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Just swung by Target and discovered that all Pepsi, Mt. Dew & Dr. Pepper 12-packs (cans) are on sale for $3 each + CRV through tomorrow. This includes throwback Dew, Heritage Dr. Pepper and Throwback Pepsi. Apparently there is also a $1 off a 12-pack of Pepsi products coupon on Target's website, which you can print multiple times. I don't know if the coupon works for Dr. Pepper, but it should work for Mtn. Dew as "Pepsi Co" is clearly indicated as the manufacturer on the Throwback Mtn. Dew.

I have no idea if this $3 for 12-pack sale is national or by region, in this case Northern CA.

-----

Mario - I grabbed a 12-pack of Heritage Dr. Pepper for you.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #52
n3uka
Feeling at Home

Trading: (30)
Cohiba
n3uka has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

I have no idea if this $3 for 12-pack sale is national or by region, in this case Northern CA.
Same price in MD
n3uka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #53
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Both the Throwback Mountain Dew and Pepsi are good. Can't say they are significantly better, taste a little cleaner and different but I do enjoy both of them. I had been seeing them both in cans for a few months, but just got the 20 oz. in the last month or so. I am not a big cola fan but the Pepsi is far better than Coke and comparable to Mexi-Coke.
I miss the Mountain Dew (and sodas in general) that come in glass bottles. Soft drinks that are in plastic bottles taste quite different from drinks that are in glass bottles. The throwback Mt. Dews that are sold in my area come in glass bottles, so I'm not sure that the formula is different, but that the lastic flavor is not infused in the Throwback drinks b/c they are served in glass bottles. The glass container may be the difference in the cleaner taste. I miss the glass bottle days (they haven't been seen around here on a regular basis since the early '90s).

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #54
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Padron and Macanudo have similar texture, size and burn characteristics. From most aesthetic angles, they're pretty much the same- but one has 10 times the flavor of the other.
I've never compared the two in such a way butit makes sense. Also, thanks for the tip. There are several Whole Foods near by. 365 is their brand if I'm not mistaken and this is just one more excuse to get myself in there for a bit of good shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Mario - I grabbed a 12-pack of Heritage Dr. Pepper for you.
Thanks Adam! I'll be seeing you on Sunday right?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #55
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
I've never compared the two in such a way butit makes sense. Also, thanks for the tip. There are several Whole Foods near by. 365 is their brand if I'm not mistaken and this is just one more excuse to get myself in there for a bit of good shopping.
Be warned:
Whole Foods in the bay area = Outrageously Overpriced

Quote:
Thanks Adam! I'll be seeing you on Sunday right?
Maybe, if not then either the barn herf or I'll call you when I'm next headed into San Jose.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #56
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

In case anyone else is looking for the throwback stuff, I spotted Pepsi, MT. Dew, and Dr. Pepper at Pack n Save.
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #57
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
I miss the Mountain Dew (and sodas in general) that come in glass bottles. Soft drinks that are in plastic bottles taste quite different from drinks that are in glass bottles. The throwback Mt. Dews that are sold in my area come in glass bottles, so I'm not sure that the formula is different, but that the lastic flavor is not infused in the Throwback drinks b/c they are served in glass bottles. The glass container may be the difference in the cleaner taste. I miss the glass bottle days (they haven't been seen around here on a regular basis since the early '90s).
I say that all the time Andy. The Pepsi's in the 16 ounce bottles were lots different than they are today. Nehi orange and grape aint what they used to be when the bottles were glass neither.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #58
Knip23
Keep It Simple

First Name: Destrey
Trading: (10)
HUpmann Army (Active)
Knip23 is on a distinguished road

Jack makes better BBQ sauce
Knip23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #59
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Love the throwback Pepsi. Had the Mountain Dew yesterday and it was meh.

My 17 yo Mt Dew expert said it lacked the "kick".
Old 01-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #60
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Tried the Dr. Pepper- it was ok, but seemed very flat. Got a bottle of Mt. Dew and Pepsi that I have not yet tried. I also have to agree that sodas in glass bottles are better tasting than plastic or aluminum.