Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #3481
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Photography Thread

If you like to mess around with post-processing filters, onOne is giving away Perfect Effects 8 through Jan. 28. You can d/l standalone app as well as plugins for Lightroom, Aperture, PS, etc.
Usually sells for $99.
Had a quick look and I still prefer the Nik system but you can't beat free.
http://www.ononesoftware.com/landing/pe8offer/
P.S. this is fully licensed premium version, not demo.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #3482
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I wanted to let you guys know that I have a thread up in the Non-cigar related for-profit sales for for prints that
some or all of you might be interested in. Not all that likely since you all obviously HAVE cameras and cigars, but
you never know...

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...62#post1927762

OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #3483
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

If anyone likes to shoot photos in the dark, here is a FANTASTIC camera from Sony that was before it's time and
still holds up well all these years later. This thing has a laser matrix focusing system that allows you to focus in
total darkness without the subject seeing the focusing system in operation, and shoots nightshot in still mode.
Its a terrific camera and a damn good price....surprised to see it there for $50.

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20616324.html
Old 02-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #3484
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Still there. I'm very tempted!
Old 02-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #3485
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I wanted to let you guys know that I have a thread up in the Non-cigar related for-profit sales for for prints that
some or all of you might be interested in. Not all that likely since you all obviously HAVE cameras and cigars, but
you never know...

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...62#post1927762

Nice! And looks like a cool humi as well. Is that a cabinet humi?
Old 02-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #3486
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

DSC_5791_1 by sairtapdlanor, on Flickr
Old 02-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #3487
OLS
Suck It

No, Ron, those are cigar molds of 42 RG that i got from JR cigars, they were blowing em out for $20 each, not sure if
that was a good deal or not, but it hit my price spot so I picked up a few for the man cave I will never get. but they
make for really nice photographic sets.

Here is Bobby Rush from a blues gig I shot last night.

Bobby Rush in Memphis, TN by Brad-(OLS), on Flickr
Old 02-02-2014, 11:42 AM   #3488
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

My wife bought me a Canon T3 DSLR for Christmas this year and I've been playing around with it a bit.

Here's a shot of my nephew from Christmas shot with the T3 and 50mm prime.

Henry_hat by cricky101, on Flickr
Old 02-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #3489
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN View Post
If you like to mess around with post-processing filters, onOne is giving away Perfect Effects 8 through Jan. 28. You can d/l standalone app as well as plugins for Lightroom, Aperture, PS, etc.
Usually sells for $99.
Had a quick look and I still prefer the Nik system but you can't beat free.
http://www.ononesoftware.com/landing/pe8offer/
P.S. this is fully licensed premium version, not demo.
Heh. I guess since it's the weekend they are not paying attention, because I'm downloading it right now, free of charge
Old 02-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #3490
OLS
Suck It

I DL'ed it too, just not sure I am going to ever install it. If it serves as a modern RAW converter I might jump.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #3491
MrClean
Bald Man

Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
My wife bought me a Canon T3 DSLR for Christmas this year and I've been playing around with it a bit.

Here's a shot of my nephew from Christmas shot with the T3 and 50mm prime.
That's a nice shot Chris. I really enjoyed my T2i and one of my coworkers has the T3 also. It's a good DSLR.
MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #3492
MrClean
Bald Man

Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Processed a few pics from the first day of picture taking in London.

London Tower by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr

St Pauls Cathedral by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr

Tower Bridge by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr

MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #3493
swingerofbirches
Feeling at Home

First Name: Charlie
Cohiba
swingerofbirches will become famous soon enough

A couple of people enjoying the sunrise from Mather Point, Grand Canyon (from a big road trip we took last fall).

swingerofbirches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #3494
OLS
Suck It

That first one looks like a painting in parts of it.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #3495
swingerofbirches
Feeling at Home

First Name: Charlie
Cohiba
swingerofbirches will become famous soon enough

This is one of the photo moments from the trip that I wish I could have back. A hiker heading back up the South Kaibab trail, taking a rest before tackling the final set of switchbacks. I didn't want to disturb the guys rest but I would have liked to really get a good shot of him.

swingerofbirches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #3496
OLS
Suck It

My usual subject matter....

Sunrise at Plaza de Armas by Brad-(OLS), on Flickr
Old 02-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #3497
OLS
Suck It

Here is another cigar print I have for sale in the non-cigar-related retailers section.

Churchills - Nikon D7000 - Nikkor 135mm f/3.5 by Brad-(OLS), on Flickr
Old 02-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #3498
OLS
Suck It

Another of my "in and out, cheap DSLRs, BUT" posts.
Spotted this today...
http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20618880.html
Its a Nikon D3100, which normally I would never recommend to anyone. The body has no built-in focus motor, so you
can only use it with AF-S lenses (unless you want to hand-focus). It MOUNTS em all. The issue that has this
$250-$300 used camera on sale for $50 is that it "will not read SD cards - Card will not lock in slot." Hogwash.
We have all used modern SD card-using cameras, where you push the card down, and there is a locking, spring-
loaded system that keeps the card in the camera, and ejects it when you need to take out the card. But sometimes
the mechanism sproings and the card will not lock in. It will not READ the card, because the card cannot be pushed
down far enough, because the spring does not have a locking position anymore, its just like a little trampoline, and it keeps
the contacts achingly close to the camera contacts, but won't touch.

HOWEVER, if you roll up a piece of duct tape sticky side out and sit it on top of the SD card, you can close the door,
and the pressure of the door down on the card keeps it in contact with the contacts in the camera. And the ingenious
Nikon SD card doors feature a double-action mechanism that first presses DOWN on the card, then slides in grooves into
a closed AND locked position, so the duct tape does not force the door open and ruin the quick fix I use. The light springiness
of the tube of duct tape gives you cushion that protects the card from being crushed by the door. More or less tape may
be required to make everything Happy. BUT MAKE NO MISTAKE, this camera is probably perfectly fine.

Trouble is, an X condition camera (for parts only) is not sold with a battery and charger, I guess they take those and
sell them used separately. SO you would need to buy this and THIS to have it work as a total package.
So for 88 bucks, you have a entry level Nikon DSLR that shoots 1080 p video and a 14 megapixel sensor
and a large LCD screen. I was going to buy it, but I have a rule about bodies....NEVER buy a Nikon body that does
not have a focus motor built in... because I only have two lenses that work with these cameras, and they are not
available very cheaply, even used. I like a Nikon body I can use with any 1986 and above lens. I was even going to
buy it to SELL, but it is not a good idea to try and SELL a work-around camera to someone who is not as practical as
I am. But for a person who buys it for themselves or a loved one, it seems perfectly nice, since you do not need to
make a profit to make it worth your while. And believe me, my fix is GONNA WORK.

But IF my theory, which has worked already with TWO D50s that had this issue, (both work fine today) then you can
ALWAYS SEND IT BACK FOR A FULL REFUND WITHIN 30 DAYS, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Cause Adorama is the $HI+.

$88....Not bad for a 2010 DSLR. Entry level or not. Well, of course you would need a lens to mount. AF-S works best.

Last edited by OLS; 02-07-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #3499
OLS
Suck It

GONE....somebody is at LEAST as smart as me, lol.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #3500
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
My usual subject matter....

Sunrise at Plaza de Armas by Brad-(OLS), on Flickr
Brad, how did you get those smooth tonalities in the sky? I didn't see the digital artifact usually found in smooth gradations. Oh yeah, it's gorgeous, too!