Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #2441
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Photography Thread

I used to shoot IR in the 4x5. It was a lot of fun, and being able to manipulate it in the darkroom was an additional bonus.

I have an older version of CS and I has a couple of scripts for IR effects.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #2442
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Old 04-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #2443
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #2444
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 04-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #2445
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 04-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #2446
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 04-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #2447
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
Yeah I remember IR film. That made for some very interesting photos. Too bad that can't be done with digital, or can it?
Yes, it can. I made them with my Pentax K2000.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #2448
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I am so glad you were there to document the dolphin attack.

In a related story, I insulted my first photo print benefactor today, lol. Told him HDR sucks.
I am such a gimp.
It only sucks when it's overused, and most people do, it seems; but I've also seen people crank-up the color saturation too much, too. Any effect or technique that a viewer can spot is overdone.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #2449
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
It only sucks when it's overused, and most people do, it seems; but I've also seen people crank-up the color saturation too much, too. Any effect or technique that a viewer can spot is overdone.

Instagram?

I use Photoshop Elements to touch up photos, usually to tweak the contrast some, or adjust lighting. I'm finding that the photos that I take with the D90 as opposed to the D100 require very little, if any, fixing. That, and the autofocus and metering are much more accurate with the D90. My complaint with the D100 was with the colors being off, regardless of whether I used sRGB or AdobeRGB. Plus the white balance seemed a bit whacked. To the D100's credit though it is a first generation digital SLR, when the manufacturers were still working out the bugs of the new technology
Old 04-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #2450
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

OK, technical question to everyone. Is there a preference that any of you have to sensors that a digital camera uses? CCD versus CMOS?
Old 04-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #2451
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
OK, technical question to everyone. Is there a preference that any of you have to sensors that a digital camera uses? CCD versus CMOS?
Old 04-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #2452
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

From what I can remember CMOS is better in aps-c size sensors
Old 04-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #2453
shade
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mark
Trading: (5)
shade will become famous soon enough

Cohiba label
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cohiba-label.jpg (80.5 KB, 175 views)
shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #2454
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

i dig it
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #2455
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shade View Post
Cohiba label
Old 04-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #2456
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I like CCDs best, but I have been using CCDs since the very first video camera I touched 25 yrs ago.
I don't think anyone can tell anymore if there is an advantage to either one, it could just
be that modern digital cameras are taking better photos, and modern cameras are using
CMOS, so therefore CMOS is better. And it could be, but I can't say. RIGHT at the time
of the switch, CCDs were better, but I think CMOS were cheaper, but by the time the
newer generations were in full control, you'd be hard pressed to say CMOS sucks....look at
the pictures.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #2457
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

The D90 saved my a55 this weekend. I got there way too early, which was good for the night shot I wanted,
but I left Memphis early cause there was no likelihood that I would take a 2-3 hour nap, or that I could sleep,
or that it would work. And if I stayed and waited to the proper leaving time, I would be wasting my alertness
reservoir. So I just drove on down. My night shots workrd out fine, but then I had two hours of dark to wait out
until I could shoot the quarter again. Instead I just started shooting. The D90 shots with a plain 18-55
were generally great, but my D200 shots with a MUCH TOO SLOW lens were terrible. By the time the sun came
up good and was cooperating well, I was freaking bushed. And carrying the heavy D200 actually started to wear
on me. Never thought I would say that. I LOVE the D90. This is NOT ONE of the good shots, but it was cool.
This was before I went ahead and upped the shutter speed. The light was coming on. That's a fire truck by the way.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #2458
OLS
Suck It

This shot represents all that is stupid in me. Is it a great shot? You damn right it is.
But its everything that came AFTER this shot that makes it part of just a stupid, stupid
weekend of shooting.

I should have come back with 1500 shots and easily 200 real winners.
But fully half of my haul is virtually useless. If I was building up a stockpile of pics that
were little memories, the pics would serve. But I was not shooting for me, I was shooting
for fun and profit. Half my shots being grainy and noisy was NOT part of the plan.
But I left Memphis too early, got to New Orleans too early, and didn't have enough light for
2/3 of the time I was there shooting. And even then, had I screwed the right lens on the D200,
I could have achieved my goal. Instead I wrong-headedly chose the 10-20 wide angle, which is
just SOOOoo SLoooow. I KNOW BETTER! And yet I did it anyway because I love the field of view
the wide angle gives me and that clouded my judgement. But at least I have ONE RULE I stick by.
Always walk around with TWO CAMERAS. I had a 18-55 kit lens on the D90, but the quality of the
camera saved my a55. And apparently the 18-55 is not a bad lens at all.

You can read all about it in my blog entry for this shot. at the link below.

Still, its a A55-KICKING shot I think. Those High-Pressure Sodium lights combined with that fog
make that bridge look like its on FIRE.

Last edited by OLS; 04-29-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #2459
OLS
Suck It

I guess you don't call that fog....that's a low cloud ceiling.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #2460
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Still a badass picture brad. Makes my bridge pic look amateur