Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 12-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
goomer

Default Tucson Marathon

Ran the Tucson Marathon today. My first marathon so I set a PR! Unfortunately, I didn't train up properly due to an ankle injury so I'm pretty sore right now.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
Resipsa

Default Re: Tucson Marathon

Congrats! A very fine accomplishment!

Oh. And not as sore as you're going to be, LOL. BUT a good sore.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Congrats. Mind if I ask what your time was?
Old 12-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Congrats Brother!! Awesome accomplishment
Old 12-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Congratulations! Drink some water
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
goomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Congrats. Mind if I ask what your time was?
Not at all. I ran it in 4:36:33 according to the computer at the end. I'm guessing official results will be out in the next few days. It's about what I was shooting for. I'll improve upon it next time.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Damn that's awesome. Again congrats.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
goomer

Thanks for the congrats everyone. It was a great experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Congrats! A very fine accomplishment!

Oh. And not as sore as you're going to be, LOL. BUT a good sore.
You weren't kiddin' brother. I almost couldn't get out of bed! But it is a sore that comes from accomplishment. Now the question is: do I sign up for the Rock N' Roll half in PHX next month?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
Resipsa

Going down stairs is going to be rough, LOL

It takes about a month to REALLY recover from a marathon.

That said, the training is already done, and a half after a full marathon is a walk in the park, if you're mentally recovered, do it!
Old 12-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

How long does/did it take you guys to train for a marathon? I"m just getting into running this year, having gone from no running in years to doing a 5k and running 15-20miles a week. I"m planning on doing a 10k come spring. Yesterday I pushed myself to a personal best in distance at just over 5 miles. I don't know if full marathon is in the forseeable future, but I could see doing a half marathon at some point (maybe next fall?).
Old 12-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
goomer

Quote:
How long does/did it take you guys to train for a marathon? I"m just getting into running this year, having gone from no running in years to doing a 5k and running 15-20miles a week. I"m planning on doing a 10k come spring. Yesterday I pushed myself to a personal best in distance at just over 5 miles. I don't know if full marathon is in the forseeable future, but I could see doing a half marathon at some point (maybe next fall?).
My training was really sub par. I had a couple of injuries from playing football while training. In fact I looked through my log and the longest run I'd done was 6.25 miles back in August. I was using a 16 week plan before getting injured. (I was repeating weeks in the beginning since I had more than 16 weeks until the marathon.) My wife ran the 1/2 and didn't train up for it at all. She ran it in just over 3 hours. Not a great time but she finished it which was her goal. In the end I think it all depends on how well you want to do and how much you want to hurt the next day. (We're both hurting quite a bit today.)Maybe someone else who trained up properly and has done more than one can chime in with a more educated opinion.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
It took me about 4 months to be ready but I could have done it sooner since I was on active duty and running 5 to7 miles per day. Just took the discipline to change my diet a bit and link in some longer runs.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
It took me about 4 months to be ready but I could have done it sooner since I was on active duty and running 5 to7 miles per day. Just took the discipline to change my diet a bit and link in some longer runs.
+1

4 months is standard going from nothing at all to a full marathon.

The hardest part of a marathon tends to be the training, injuries while training for your first marathon are very common.

If you want to do one increase your mileage slowly and listen to your body.

General wisdom is you can increase your long run safely by one mile per week.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Thanks for the advice guys. I"m slowly just increasing my long run, was able to get in just over 5 miles earlier this week. Still amazes me to go that far when up until 5 months ago I'd never gone over 1 mile, and hadn't run in decades.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
goomer

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. I"m slowly just increasing my long run, was able to get in just over 5 miles earlier this week. Still amazes me to go that far when up until 5 months ago I'd never gone over 1 mile, and hadn't run in decades.
You're doing great! It won't be long and you'll be running 1/2's, marathons and then ultras.