Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-24-2008, 06:59 AM   #21
Boobar
Rubber Room Wall Bouncer

First Name: Bob
Trading: (37)
Boobar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Corona Gordas - Tribute/Reviews/Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHagen View Post
It came in the cello with the red peel-away band to open the plastic. Is the Predilectos similiar??
The La Flor De Cano Predilectos is wrapped in cello similar to any other premium cigar that you would get. Cigar slides out the bottom and the band on mine is wrapped around the cigar itself. I got a 5-pack from CI for $16.00
Old 12-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #22
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobar View Post
The La Flor De Cano Predilectos is wrapped in cello similar to any other premium cigar that you would get. Cigar slides out the bottom and the band on mine is wrapped around the cigar itself. I got a 5-pack from CI for $16.00

I apologize, I was referring to the Cuban LFdC....
Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #23
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

Just wanted to chime in with another review of the Illusione CG:4 don't want to threadjack but I didn't feel the need to start a whole new thread either. Love the Corona Gorda size and am enjoying this thread.

Beautiful cigar. Picked it up at the St. Croix cigar in Hudson Wi. Nice shop with good folks unfortunately I didn't have time to hang out and herf.

The first couple of puffs were so spicy it almost felt acidic on the lips. This cigar started very strong and bitter. After about .5 inch it mellowed considerably and had some nice earthy flavors. Generally it was a well constructed and tasty cigar. I did a couple little touch ups but they weren't really necessary.

The main issue I had was this cigar had a very narrow window where you could get all of the flavors. You couldn't just sip it because it really didn't draw much smoke unless it was pretty hot on the other hand it got to hot very easily which wiped out all of the nice flavors. I also had to purge it more than once an inch to keep it from getting sharp and bitter. It would turn very quickly but after purging would be right back to those nice flavors.

It was just finicky for lack of a better term. I really enjoyed it and understand what people like about the cg:4 it just required a lot of attention.

Cheers
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:42 AM   #24
troutbreath
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
troutbreath is on a distinguished road

Cool thread! I look forward to following this as you continue!
troutbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #25
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvarsity View Post
Just wanted to chime in with another review of the Illusione CG:4 don't want to threadjack but I didn't feel the need to start a whole new thread either. Love the Corona Gorda size and am enjoying this thread.

Please CHIME IN!! This would be great to have an interactive thread with everyones input!

Beautiful cigar. Agreed!! Nice Colorodo wrapper.

You couldn't just sip it because it really didn't draw much smoke unless it was pretty hot on the other hand it got to hot very easily which wiped out all of the nice flavors.

I have had this EXACT experience before with MANY of the Illusione line. While many are excellent, there seems to be some inconsistencies in many regards.

Thanks for the great input and review! The more feedback the better!
Old 12-31-2008, 02:46 AM   #26
alfbacca
Still Watching My Back

Partagas
alfbacca is on a distinguished road

It's because of this thread that I found myself clicking continue on an order that included Ashton VSG Corona Gordas and DPG Exquisitos yesterday morning. Corona Gordas have been my go-to size for the past month, especially those Cabaiguan Guapos 46. Thanks for putting this all together and can't wait for the next review.
alfbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:24 AM   #27
gvarsity
still crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHagen View Post
TI have had this EXACT experience before with MANY of the Illusione line. While many are excellent, there seems to be some inconsistencies in many regards.
I'm not sure if it's inconsistencies or just how the blend is put together. It might have been a tad wet but generally showed good construction. I've only had one so I can't tell if it was representative of the line or not. I will happily try these again when I get the chance. I have been following another thread about buying way more cigars than I can smoke. I'm lucky to get one or two a week and I think I added 70+ to my hoard in December. Fifty of those being in the corona gorda size thank you. Whats next on your list to review?
Old 01-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #28
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbacca View Post
It's because of this thread that I found myself clicking continue on an order that included Ashton VSG Corona Gordas and DPG Exquisitos yesterday morning. Corona Gordas have been my go-to size for the past month, especially those Cabaiguan Guapos 46. Thanks for putting this all together and can't wait for the next review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvarsity View Post
I'm not sure if it's inconsistencies or just how the blend is put together. It might have been a tad wet but generally showed good construction. I've only had one so I can't tell if it was representative of the line or not. I will happily try these again when I get the chance. Agreed. They can be too wet. I have been following another thread about buying way more cigars than I can smoke. I'm lucky to get one or two a week and I think I added 70+ to my hoard in December. Fifty of those being in the corona gorda size thank you. Whats next on your list to review?
WOW! I am really glad this thread is pushing some BOTL's down the slope!!!

I have a few cigars already smoked with pics. Just not reviewed here yet. I will try to post soon. I also have been affected by the weather to try an enjoy a smoke (and take pics) for the review. Most of my winter smoking is at a B&M. Being that I only have 1 of most of these smokes, and don't have the $ to stock up (esp. in the winter, when I go to the B&M for 1 smoke at a time), I try and really get an accurate portrayal of what they are about.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #29
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

La Riqueza #3

Origin: Nicaragua
Length: 5 5/8
Ring Gauge: 46
Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf
Filler: Nicaragua

1) The Riches or The Wealth in Spanish.
2) An Old World Medium Bodied Cuban Style Cigar created by Pete Johnson

Wrapper: Naturally Dark USA Connecticut Broadleaf
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

Another Don Pepin Garcia (& Pete Johnson (Tatuaje)) creation.

Blended in the style of the Full Flavored Medium Bodied Cuban Cigars.
Cigars are rolled in Nicaragua with traditionally cuban box press in dress boxes.

La Riqueza is an old cuban brand name from the 1920's that was made in the Quintero factory in Cuba. The artwork replicates the original with a few updates, of course.

Rolled at Tabacalera Cubana in Esteli Nicaragua. The Riqueza wrapper is the product of the Oliva Tobacco Company. Triple cap.

Dress boxes of 25.

Name:  la riquieza jpeg.JPG2.JPG3.JPG
Views: 374
Size:  86.6 KB

First one notices the unique dark, tight wrapper with it's oily, toothy sheen and it's intense box press which almost flattens the cigar. This I believe it to give the feeling of being lighter, without heft in the hand (or mouth), and possibly made with less tobacco, so as to maintain the girth of a 46 ring gauge even after being pressed.

(click the images)
Name:  la riquieza jpeg.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG
Views: 401
Size:  90.2 KB

The draw was tight (as on many La Riqueza) on this "slight" stick, yet it burned very evenly throughout, imparting a good amount of smoke, yet due to it's seemingly light girth was not a comfortable "feel" in the hand (almost cigarette-like).

Name:  la riquieza jpeg.JPG2.JPG
Views: 381
Size:  80.7 KB

The flavors are very nice on this stick, the dark conneticut broadleaf imparting much of the flavor to this stick especially in a pressed 46 ring gauge, possibly leaving little room for filler. Though not very complex, the developing flavours were consistant and enjoyable.

Name:  la riquieza jpeg.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  87.8 KB

There was a semi-sweet leathery-ness and pleasant charred taste after the initial spice (and a noted dryness) died down that built as the stick progressed through the smoking. It began a wet earthiness, that wasn't so complex.

Name:  la riquieza jpeg.JPG
Views: 364
Size:  93.0 KB

It got stronger, yet hotter, as one reached the nub. The stick seem to end in any development as I reached the nub, nothing new, and I tasted everything it had to offer.
It had nice aromas throughout that I wished I could taste, but were somehow overpowered.

Overall: out of 10
Flavor 7
Burn/Draw 9
Appearance 9
Construct 7
Value 8 (most CG's aren't cheap because they come from premium brands, and are smaller smokes, so this is relative)
Smoking Experience 7
Total Avg. 7.83

Personal note: I have enjoyed many of the sizes of the La Riqueza, yet have been generally under-whelmed by the line, especially for the price/demand. The Robusto/Hermosa #4 size being the most enjoyable so far, perhaps due to its more square than flattened rectangle shape and it's slightly bigger girth giving it some more complexity. I really enjoyed the #4 the best, it was great!!! I think that the Tatuaje and Cabaiguan Guapo lines are a much better product IMHO. Yet, the La Riqueza definitely has it's niche and is a fine smoke. Recommend to try.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #30
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

La Riqueza #3 nub

Name:  la riquieza jpeg.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG
Views: 338
Size:  80.4 KB

Next reviews are probably a Tat Black, Punch Royal Seleccion #11 (2007), Esencia Corona Gorda...
Old 01-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #31
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Very cool thread, smoked a lot of those sticks without even realizing the size was something special..
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #32
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

The la aroma is darn tasty.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #33
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
The la aroma is darn tasty.
I haven't had the Corona Gorda yet, but the other 3 vitolas I have had are great! Great flavour for a med. bodied smoke!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #34
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

When you say most corona gordas aren't cheap, are you referring to them not being available in cheaper brands or saying that the size cost more than the same cigar in other sizes? I have always doing cg size to be on the cheaper end I the sizes, but I haven paid attention to whether or not I've seen the size in cheaper brands.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #35
gvarsity
still crazy

Nice review sounds like a good stick.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #36
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
When you say most corona gordas aren't cheap, are you referring to them not being available in cheaper brands or saying that the size cost more than the same cigar in other sizes? I have always doing cg size to be on the cheaper end I the sizes, but I haven paid attention to whether or not I've seen the size in cheaper brands.
Not being available in cheaper brands. Usually in those brands that are more traditional in their craftsmanship and vitolas - ex. DPG.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #37
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

That's what I figured. Thanks for clarifying.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #38
vudu9
Just in from the Storm

vudu9 is on a distinguished road

Great comprehensive reviews!
vudu9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #39
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudu9 View Post
Great comprehensive reviews!
Thanks for the props, Dion. Glad you enjoyed the read.
Here's your props - the Illusione line is an amazing line of cigars!! You keep making 'em, I'll keep reviewing 'em.
Welcome to CA!

I'll keep the reviews coming!
Old 02-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #40
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Esencia Corona Gorda 5 5/8x46
LTD 2008

FILLER: Nicaragua
BINDER: Nicaragua
WRAPPER: Nicaragua

Esencia is the attribute or set of attributes that make an object what it is fundamentally.

Esencia is a completely handmade medium to full bodied Nicaraguan puro cigar available in four classic Cuban sizes. Each has been crafted in an old world Havana style using a traditional blend of Criollo and Corojo leaf of only the highest quality. Production of the Esencia is limited to the availability of the very best in raw materials.

Made by the BOTL behind personal favorite cutter Palio.
(Marc being my main contact there)

When speaking to the manufacturer, he said that they were going for the pre-1995 Habano flavor-profile. (According the education I recieved - This was before they began blending their cigars more "for the masses", thereby limiting the amount of ligero and leaves of criollo and corojo in the blends, making them somewhat more palatable for the average smoker. (I personally find many cc marcas do not differ from each other in their flavor profiles) Also they had to compete with blue-mold, so had to create differing tobaccos, blend etc. to keep up with production.) So the makers of Esencia tried to harken back to the previous blend of a Habano.
Anyway, the creators of Esencia definitely created a med-full bodied smoke, without skimping on the flavor. The appearance was beautiful - classic Cuban construct - triple seam cap, nice brown colorado wrapper.

(click pics to enlarge)
Name:  esencia1.JPG
Views: 608
Size:  73.6 KB

The pre-light aromas were at first very similiar to a Padron x000, but with some sweetness. delicious.

Name:  esencia2.JPG
Views: 562
Size:  80.4 KB

The initial light was very even creating a pepper colored ash that held very nicely. There was not the initial spicy-ness of a DPG, but imediately recalled the charred-taste of a Tatuaje Black, yet this was little more mellow and developed into that great sweet graham cracker taste I really enjoy.

Name:  esencia3.JPG
Views: 565
Size:  91.6 KB

As I began to enter the second third of the cigar the flavors started to really pick up and realized while balanced, this cigar was had a nice complexity that kept me guessing. I could identify a lot of different flavors that I enjoy. Some good tobacco, slight choco/expresso... great through the nose.

Name:  esencia4.JPG
Views: 572
Size:  78.3 KB

However, when I got the half-way point it needed some touch-ups and even a relight. To be fare, I only smoked 2 of these cigars, ever. The second one burned PERFECTLY throughout, leaving a beautiful solid pepper ash that only fell off cause I wanted it to, each time revealing more flavor. Very elegant.

Name:  esencia5.JPG
Views: 558
Size:  83.0 KB

The complexity died down a little after the midway point and picked up significantly towards the nub, which I did not want to go out. It had developed a full-bodied character and had a nice long finish that stayed with me.

This cigar was phenomenal. Elegant smoke, with complex flavors and could smoke one after the other. It recalled a Tat Black (robusto) and a fuller bodied CC. I really want to try different sizes in this blend, esp. Petite Corona and would definitely consider buying a box. One of the best "new" cigars I have had. Esencia got it right!!

Overall: out of 10
Flavor 10
Burn/Draw 9
Appearance 10
Construct 9
Value 10 (most CG's aren't cheap because they come from premium brands, and are smaller smokes, so this is relative)
Smoking Experience 10
Total Avg. 9.67

(last pic on the next page)