Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-17-2022, 11:27 AM   #1
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough
Default Southern Draw Rose of Sharon - Robusto 5.5x54

https://www.southerndrawcigars.com/rose-of-sharon

So, i got this in the cigars daily sampler and i knew right away i wanted to review this cigar. I have a pet emergency today but i have time for one review so here it is!

Construction: Flawless, box pressed, closed foot, single capped, no veins to speak of

Draw: after i punched it, it's a little loose but not bad at all

lot’s of sweet tobacco, vanilla, honey, caramel, a little spice, allspice, nutmeg, very creamy, lots of smoke, nuttiness,

sweet tobacco, the honey and spice are blending together nicely giving it a spicy sweetness, lots of creaminess, nuttiness, so far it’s a very nice mild cigar. a small amount if white pepper, some tea, mellow coffee with cream, the flavors blend and progress very gently, The Nicaraguan binder and filler really balance this cigar from just being s typical DR mild sweet cigar,

Nice honey spiciness, sweet tobacco, white pepper, vanilla, allspice, nutmeg, coffee with cream, still a very creamy cigar, honey roasted peanuts, small hints of cocoa, some woodiness, tea, Had a wrapper tear towards the end but it hasn’t ruined my enjoyment,

Ash: A little flaky but nothing that would ruin the experience

Finish:it's hard to review just one cigar but this cigar is a great mild, change of pace cigar from all the other darker flavored pepper bombs out there. When that change of pace cigar hits you right it can be amazing. this wasn't purely amazing but it was a very nice change of pace and i would gladly pick up some more of these in the future. This cigar was very balanced from becoming a typical sweet DR based cigar, The Nicaraguan binder and filler balance out the cigar nicely adding some darker flavors but not overloading it either. The flavors progressed nicely but not wildly like some cigars can. I would recommend it highly as a buy a 5 pack kind of cigar which i plan to do in the future. I hope you enjoyed this review and God bless you all!

now i'm off to the Vet!
Old 01-17-2022, 06:18 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Southern Draw Rose of Sharon - Robusto 5.5x54

I have enjoyed the couple I've tried, Jason , and had a couple other good lines from them as well.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:00 AM   #3
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

I got signed up for a cigar-of-the-month club for Christmas, first shipment had one of these in it but I had never heard of it. Looking forward to trying it and comparing notes, sounds like a good morning smoke
Old 01-18-2022, 09:27 AM   #4
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Southern Draw has their cigars rolled by AJ Fernandez in Nicaragua, tho this one does have some Dominican leaf in it. Try their Kudzu, which is much stronger.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 12:19 PM   #5
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

I'm smoking Southern Draw Desert Rose right now. flavors are much the same with vanilla, nutmeg, caramel, sweet tobacco, nuttiness, white pepper and some spice. A very good but mild cigar. This isn't a punch in the face type of cigar that will blow you away with flavors but it is a nice change of pace cigar. it has a very creamy almost chewy finish to it. so, I just wanted to give you my assessment of another of these and how that experience compares to the first. Very consistent blending and flavors. God bless you all!