Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #161
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
that's the company that was refered to me, but my main question is they have two styles a tube of beads and sheet/case. Which on is better?
For your size humidor, I would use the tube. Better for convienence, as they both perform the same.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #162
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Wise words above.

To elaborate a bit on cutting a torpedo, and this is by no means the definitive word, but I like to cut mine at about a 30degree angle about 3/8" up. Test the draw and if you want it a bit more free then cut another 1/4 inch. You can also recut after smoking a bit if it starts to get tight. The reason for cutting at an angle is that you get more surface space exposed.
I was never sure how to cut these...that definitely helps.

Now does exposing more surface area affect only the draw? I'm just curious if you could also get the same affect by cutting a little higher up and straight?...or are there other consequences to a straight cut on a torpedo?
Old 02-13-2010, 07:18 AM   #163
Doza

Ok, quick question from a newbie.

I am buying my first humidor and have my eye on The Pompeii (http://www.cheaphumidors.com/HUM-100PR.html). I think I would like one with a glass top but have seen scattered comments about glass tops potentially causing problems. Could any experts please advise if this is generally true from experience?

Of course, would also love to hear the thoughts of any one that owns this particular humidor.

Thanks very much
Old 02-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #164
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doza View Post
Ok, quick question from a newbie.

I am buying my first humidor and have my eye on The Pompeii (http://www.cheaphumidors.com/HUM-100PR.html). I think I would like one with a glass top but have seen scattered comments about glass tops potentially causing problems. Could any experts please advise if this is generally true from experience?

Of course, would also love to hear the thoughts of any one that owns this particular humidor.

Thanks very much
I bought a used one of the same model from the Bay and have had no issues with it holding humidity. Glass tops just add another variable if the seal isn't good, but I've had no issues with my 2 glass-tops.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #165
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
Glass tops just add another variable if the seal isn't good,
Tim is right, many glass top humidors hold humidity just fine, but getting one without a glass top removes one more potential issue regarding a proper seal.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 02-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #166
Doza

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Tim is right, many glass top humidors hold humidity just fine, but getting one without a glass top removes one more potential issue regarding a proper seal.
Thanks Tim and Tom, much appreciated.

Have been doing a lot of reading, but just a few more questions before I make the all important first purchase, if people wouldn't mind obliging.

1. Seasoning - Do people recommend/had good experience with the Boveda seasoning packs? Or do people just go with the bowl of water trick?

2. Humidity - Was looking at going with the Puck as my first humidity controller.
a) Do people recommend the 65% or 70%. I know it can be personal taste. I've read a lot about 65% being better, and would like to go with 65% But will the 65% Puck actually normally deliver less than 65% (and 70% =<70%) due to leakage etc?
b) Have people had good experiences with the Puck? Or would more people recommend Boveda packs or Heartfelt beads for a long-term cost effective solution? I need to decide on one!

3. Am looking at maybe buying from cheaphumidors.com unless anyone knows of a better site and/or a discount code?
Old 02-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #167
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

1. I have always just seasoned with the beads and distilled water, and never had a problem. Remember, seasoning takes a little patience and may take a few days...your Rh might jump around until it is fully seasoned.

2. I prefer 65% or lower, my cigars seem to smoke better and taste better at lower humidity. If you jave a humidor with a good seal and learn how to use the beads properly, it should hold right around 65%. Be sure you have a properly calibrated digital hygrometer as well. I used Heartfelt beads before getting active humidification for a large cabinet, and was happy with the results.

3. I bought two humidors from cheaphumidors and had good experiences with both.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #168
skier171
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Matt
Trading: (1)
skier171 is on a distinguished road

Another Noob Question Here,

I have a 30ish ct humi. and Just got a 100 ct (selling the 30 to a friend, works out well to help me down the slippery slope...), but I'm thinking of going with the bigger puck?

Would you guys suggest that puck or to go with some other form of beads?

Thanks in advance.
skier171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #169
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Beads are much less maintenance. A little pricier upfront, but you're buying peace of mind. shilala or heartfelt both have them.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #170
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

I concur with Tim, I've had a few pucks that come with the humidors and I end up just replacing them with beads.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #171
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Cigarmony has puck shaped bead holders. http://www.cigarmony.com/puck-ifierpuck-10065.aspx

So does Heartfelt. http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...od=RH_Large_65

There is a volume calculator on the Heartfelt site that will tell you the amount of beads you need for your humidor.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #172
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Cigarmony has puck shaped bead holders. http://www.cigarmony.com/puck-ifierpuck-10065.aspx
Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too?
Good catch, Bob.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #173
skier171
Still Watching My Back

I had one of the puck shaped bead holder for my smaller humi, and I think im going to get the bigger size bead puck for the new humi. its made for a humi with around 10 more cubic inches than the one ive got coming.

That should be fine, right?

Thanks for the help guys, so many knowledgeable guys and so much info in here.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #174
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier171 View Post
I had one of the puck shaped bead holder for my smaller humi, and I think im going to get the bigger size bead puck for the new humi. its made for a humi with around 10 more cubic inches than the one ive got coming.

That should be fine, right?

Thanks for the help guys, so many knowledgeable guys and so much info in here.
I would say yes although I would ditch the floral foam and retrofit it with humidity beads.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #175
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

Heartfelt beads are the way to go! I was bombed with a pound of beads from another company and they are not near the quality as the Heartfelt beads. They take forever to charge and don't seem to hold a good charge. They also kept exploding on me even though I was using a spray bottle to charge them slowly.

Heartfelt beads are so easy to use and hassle free. Definitely worth the peace of mind. I will never use regular pucks again.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #176
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I am taking over the production and sale of Shilala's beads from Scott. I don't have any pucks, but these beads are prepackaged in bags of various sizes that lay in your humindor and work very well at stabilizing and maintaining the RH.

The web site is not complete, but you can take a look at what is there so far, which also includes a calculator: Shilala's Beads (www.shilalasbeads.com).

These beads have many very small, uniform pores so their ability to hold moisture is much greater than other beads. They also do not absorb particles from air (or water) so they stay clean. They will absorb free ammonia (given off by all cigars, but particularly NC's), but even the amount of ammonia is so small that it will not "taint" the beads.

The beads themselves are inert, so they contain no harmful chemicals or toxins. If cared for properly, they will last forever. Proper care: don't immerse in water (not a chemical reaction, just friction which causes extreme heat).

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #177
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I am taking over the production and sale of Shilala's beads from Scott. I don't have any pucks, but these beads are prepackaged in bags of various sizes that lay in your humindor and work very well at stabilizing and maintaining the RH.

The web site is not complete, but you can take a look at what is there so far, which also includes a calculator: Shilala's Beads (www.shilalasbeads.com).

These beads have many very small, uniform pores so their ability to hold moisture is much greater than other beads. They also do not absorb particles from air (or water) so they stay clean. They will absorb free ammonia (given off by all cigars, but particularly NC's), but even the amount of ammonia is so small that it will not "taint" the beads.

The beads themselves are inert, so they contain no harmful chemicals or toxins. If cared for properly, they will last forever. Proper care: don't immerse in water (not a chemical reaction, just friction which causes extreme heat).

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.
These sound interesting. Have you used Heartfelt beads before? If so, how would you compare the two? I would like to learn more about these.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #178
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnake View Post
These sound interesting. Have you used Heartfelt beads before? If so, how would you compare the two? I would like to learn more about these.
I started my bead journey with Heartfelt and while thier beads work great they work no where near as well as the Shilala Beads do. Those things are magical. The best part is they are almost zero maintenance.
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #179
skier171
Still Watching My Back

How often do you reload your heartfelt beads?

They have worked wonders in my smaller humi, and i just bought from cigarmony the bigger puck for the incoming humi.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #180
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier171 View Post
How often do you reload your heartfelt beads?

They have worked wonders in my smaller humi, and i just bought from cigarmony the bigger puck for the incoming humi.
Much depends on the ambient Rh and how often you open the humi. Since this is your only humidor, I would guess you will need to recharge every 3-4 weeks.
It shouldnt be much different from the puck you use now. Also, if you still have the old beads you can use both together as long as they are the same Rh. You can never have too many beads.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote