Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Ashton Aged Maduro

Size: 6×50, Toro (#40)

Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf

Binder: Dominican

Filler: Dominican

Strength: Mild/Medium

Price: Box of 25, $185.99

Grade: 8.9

Handcrafted by the Arturo Fuente family at the Chateau de la Fuente, the Ashton Aged Maduro uses Dominican tobacco and a Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper. Some time ago, when the Aged Maduro was released, it was one of the more hard to find Maduros around, but they seem to be readily available now.

Ashton Cigars came about in 1985, when Robert Levin sought out the expertise of the Fuente Family. Together, they have created one of the most highly sought after premium cigars. The Ashton line has grown over the years but they have still maintained a very small variety, focusing on a few done well, rather than a plethora done decently.

The Maduro is available in 9 sizes and is sold in boxes of 25, and before being released is aged in Sherry finished French oak barrels. The available sizes are 5×50 (#10), 4.375×44 (#15), 5.5×44 (#20), 6.75×44 (#30), 6×50 (#40), 7×48 (#50), 6×52 (Pyramid), 6×56 (#56), and 7.5×52 (#60). You view an illustrated size chart here.

Some time ago we reviewed the Ashton Classic, which you can view here. And so, here we go.

Pre-light, 1.7:
The Toro is very firm with a nice weight and there are no dips or soft spots anywhere. The dark wrapper is slightly oily though the texture is actually rough, which creates an ironic appearance. The triple cap is very sloppy, though it popped off perfectly on the cut, and the foot is well packed (though the binder extends beyond it). The Maduro wrapper does have some dark spotting and the veins are minimal – overall the appearance is rustic.

Burn, 1.9:
The burn on the #40 is excellent – the smoke is thick and aromatic, the burn is slow and precise, and the ash is a very clean white that stacks and holds very well. In between puffs there is no need to be concerned over a re-light. This is exactly what you would expect from a premium, Fuente made cigar.

Flavor, 2.7:
Up front, the Aged Maduro gives a big creamy burst of chocolate that is very smooth without the slightest bit of harshness. This smoke is very gentle with hints of spice that reminds me most of cinnamon – definitely not pepper. Along the outer edges of the flavor profile are some muted nutty notes, but overall this is a one-dimensional smoke. On the plus side, the profile that the #40 locks into is very pleasing and engaging.

Overall, 2.6:
When I do a personal evaluation of a cigar, I always compare the flavor and the price, and this helps me determine whether I’d buy more. Based on this easy formula, I’d pass on the Ashton Aged Maduro if given other options – at $8 a single, the flavor profile is just not enough to lure me in. Though the construction is nearly flawless, you can find the Fuente 858 Maduro for nearly half the price, and find a flavor profile that is just as entertaining (and of course from the same family).

(Total: 8.9)
Old 08-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ashton Aged Maduro

Another fine review Matthew and I gotta agree while it is a good stick, there are so many more cheaper maduros out there with the same flavor profile.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Another fine review Matthew and I gotta agree while it is a good stick, there are so many more cheaper maduros out there with the same flavor profile.
Coming from King Maduro himself! Yeah, $8 is too strong on this one, for me at least.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael View Post
Coming from King Maduro himself! Yeah, $8 is too strong on this one, for me at least.
I'll pay $ 8.00 for a stick if it's worth it...but this stick, to me, is just too mild and one dimensional for me.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
3SmokesaRound
CCCC

First Name: Bill
Trading: (48)
RA
3SmokesaRound will become famous soon enough3SmokesaRound will become famous soon enough

Agree that the $8 tag is a little steep, but I do enjoy them on the course in the morning. At $5 or less definitely worth it IMHO.
3SmokesaRound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

I have not had one of these in a while. I agree with all of you here that $8 is way too steep for this smoke. Construction is always spot on however, the flavor is mild and shallow to me for the most part. Early in the day on the right day though this smoke is great.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I'll pay $ 8.00 for a stick if it's worth it...but this stick, to me, is just too mild and one dimensional for me.
Had One The Other Day & I Agree; Average Stick At Best!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote