Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 04-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Draw Tools Question

How do you guys recommend using draw tools? One punch all the way through the cigar? A little at a time and test the draw after each punch? Something other? Thanks!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of
Default Re: Draw Tools Question

Don't know what is the "right" way necessarily...

However, while holding the cigar gently, but firmly, I put the Henry's down the center of the clipped head. I slowly work it down the length of the cigar until I feel it "free up" a bit - getting past whatever plug may have been causing the resistance.

Used that technique twice this weekend and saved a nice cc and a quality nc. Hope it helps...
Old 04-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

I've found that a lot of the time the "plug" is in the band area so I start slow and and go a little bit at a time. It helps to wiggle it a little. (thats what she said)
AD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
pmp

When I get a cigar that doesn't draw I usually just toss it. It sucks because I'm had many good cubans ruined because of tough draws. But realistically after trying different tricks for years with varying degrees of success I find that I just enjoy the experience so much less when I have to work toward getting it to smoke.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
I've found that a lot of the time the "plug" is in the band area so I start slow and and go a little bit at a time. It helps to wiggle it a little. (thats what she said)

"First date" stories.....
Old 04-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Inevitably you will poke through the side a few times. But with practice you will get better at lining things up and getting it straight the first time. Lanceros are always a challenge.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
Don't know what is the "right" way necessarily...

However, while holding the cigar gently, but firmly, I put the Henry's down the center of the clipped head. I slowly work it down the length of the cigar until I feel it "free up" a bit - getting past whatever plug may have been causing the resistance.

Used that technique twice this weekend and saved a nice cc and a quality nc. Hope it helps...

If the cigar is long enough to be gripped, I find that holding it in a fist will provide you better accuracy and prevent you from poking through the side because youre cautious not to poke your hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmp View Post
When I get a cigar that doesn't draw I usually just toss it. It sucks because I'm had many good cubans ruined because of tough draws. But realistically after trying different tricks for years with varying degrees of success I find that I just enjoy the experience so much less when I have to work toward getting it to smoke.
I used to pitch them too, but the other night I was so frustrated I went and took a metal coat hanger, clipped with a pair of pliers just above one of the bends, and then at an angle in the middle of the straight portion... voilà, instant draw tool. Clipping at an angle gives you a sharp point, and will cut through the plug, instead of pushing through it... then give it a little twist just to give you that much more space.

You might need to do it more than once.

Anyway, it saved the stick I was smoking.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #8
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

I poke the cigar in the middle of the head,then push Groogs draw tool little by little rotating the cigar with out holding the tool and making sure that the draw tool is going in straight.
theonlybear4CORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:10 AM   #9
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Eyeglasses screwdriver. Used 3 times this year, all within 2 inches of the head. Like the man said,
push gently until it suddenly breaks through and gets easier to push.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #10
pmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post

If the cigar is long enough to be gripped, I find that holding it in a fist will provide you better accuracy and prevent you from poking through the side because youre cautious not to poke your hand.

I used to pitch them too, but the other night I was so frustrated I went and took a metal coat hanger, clipped with a pair of pliers just above one of the bends, and then at an angle in the middle of the straight portion... voilà, instant draw tool. Clipping at an angle gives you a sharp point, and will cut through the plug, instead of pushing through it... then give it a little twist just to give you that much more space.

You might need to do it more than once.

Anyway, it saved the stick I was smoking.
I have no problem saving the stick but its never quite the same.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
ca21455
Working on Reality

First Name: John
Trading: (7)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ca21455 is on a distinguished road

I prefer to use the holistic approach. Agree the plug is usually found around the band area. Sometimes it helps to gently roll the cigar between your fingers while applying pressure. This has a tendency to loosen up the leaves and allow better flow. That works a good deal of the time. If not then a good piercing as previously described will do the trick.
ca21455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
GoatLocker
Dr of Quantum Inebrionics

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Cohiba Navy (Active)
GoatLocker has disabled reputation

Trying to poke all the way through is risky unless you are smoking short fat cigars, but then, they don't typically have many draw issues... I'm not a big believer in draw tools, but I would only poke as far as needed, from the end closest to the problem.

There really isn't any single solution for a cigar that won't give up the goods. Some are just rolled too tight, and can be helped to some degree by dry boxing.

Some are plugged, where there is a localized obstruction somewhere in the cigar. If you can poke through this plug, you might get a cigar to draw, but it's usually for a short time.

Frequently, the problem is a tight or twisted spot where the roller holds the leaves as he/she bunches the tobacco. This is usually pretty close to the location of the band. Again, if you can poke through this, it can fix a cigar, but it's usually a short lived fix. I have had better success using a 1/8" drill bit than my draw poker, as it actually removes tobacco, so the draw doesn't close back up after a few minutes.

All that said, like pmp, I usually pitch a stick that gives me any trouble.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
tunes
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (3)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
tunes is on a distinguished road

Poke n’ Hope – a motto I live by! I use an 8” piece coat hanger with a bend on one end and the other cut at an angle. Slow and easy with a twist/wiggle here and there. It seems to work most times but the smoke isn’t the best, too much air with the draw and it’s usually a short lived fix.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #14
boom
Central Cali Cigar Crew

First Name: Troy
Trading: (107)
HdM
boom will become famous soon enoughboom will become famous soon enough

You could use one of these...... Let me know if you need one....

boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:27 AM   #15
dentonparrots

I've used very thin drill bits instead with great success. I've found that poking/ piercing them with thin rods etc can cause them to split as they're literally being pushed outwards. The drill spinning around inside (twisting it with my fingers) removes the actual tobacco instead of just pressing it aside. I do have to tap it to remove the dust though, but overall I find it better than piercing them.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:23 AM   #16
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

I too have had much better success with a drill bit than a "draw tool" poker type.

Hey boom, can you mount a drill bit in one of those handles??
Old 05-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #17
Homebrewer
Love'm Tatuaje

Trading: (9)
Homebrewer is on a distinguished road

I've saved a few cigars with the draw tool. Yesterday though, I pushed into a Tatuaje and heard a little pop. It cracked the wrapper down the side. I still smoked the cigar and it turned out fine but you've got to be careful with how far you go.

I would say try an inch at a time and test the draw.
Homebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #18
dentonparrots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewer View Post
I pushed into a Tatuaje and heard a little pop. It cracked the wrapper down the side.
That's where a drill bit would have worked because you'd have been removing them tobacco as opposed to pushing it to the side and putting pressure on the wrapper. Try it, it definitely works
Old 05-06-2009, 09:26 PM   #19
boom
Central Cali Cigar Crew

First Name: Troy
Trading: (107)
HdM
boom will become famous soon enoughboom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
I too have had much better success with a drill bit than a "draw tool" poker type.

Hey boom, can you mount a drill bit in one of those handles??

Yes a drill bet can be used, but In my opinion you are all over thinking this , you only need to open up a small air hole. Being it may be a temp fix to save a stick. If you start to tear the inside up too much your defeating the purpose and clogging it up even more. Leaves are rolled parallel to the shape of the stick for a reason, to allow air to flow, start getting things perpendicular and clogs will result, or even "pop" goes the wrapper. I'll try and get pictures up later of the tip, it is shaped similar to a flat head screwdriver but has about a 45 degree angle across the cutting surface. It has teh action of cutting and pushing through. I know some prefer a reaming method, but it can cause more harm the good.
boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #20
DougBushBC

I just use bamboo skewers and they work great!