Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation
Default Alec Bradley Harvest Selection 1997 Habano Review

Please bear with me as this is only the third cigar I've reviewed.
Here's what I got...

Alec Bradley Harvest Selection 1997 Habano

Size: Toro (6.0 x 50)

Storage Conditions: Two weeks. 70F @ 65rH in cellophane in desktop humi.

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano

Filler: Dominican Piloto Cubano from 1997, Mexican ligero from 1997, and Nicaraguan Criollo from 1998.

Construction - Beautiful wrapper. Some mild veins. Nothing major. Smooth silk wrapper. Head cap in great shape. *Wrapper could be mistaken for leather. Very smooth.

Setting: work. Smoke shanty. Nite shift. After dinner. Ate a slice of Chicken Parm pizza.

Activity: Interaction in the Asylum

Excellent amount of white smoke after toast of foot. Initial puff reminded me of a Monte 2 crossed with the sweetness of a backarat. Not harsh.

Draw: a little tight but certainly very smokeable.

Toast: 7:35pm 07-25-10

[IMG][/IMG]

First Third: Starting a bit strong. I think it will calm down. Working the double puff method and every puff is a mouthful of flavor. Hint of a nutty flavor crossed with something my palette is unfamiliar with. Nose-hale brought back some sweetness while exhaling partially thru the nose brought a tingle and a bit of a rush to the top brim. *Something floral is creeping up in strength. This stick has calmed down considerably since the initial puffs. Adding to the mix, and bear with me on this, but melting plastic. Very enjoyable but that's the only thing I can think of to describe the taste. Stick has become medium and very easy to pull a full drag from. Ash drop around the inch mark. Burn line has been really good but is now showing signs of possible touch ups.

Second Third: There's a bit of sweetness across my lips and the cigar is very enjoyable. Reminds me of a sunset sky overlooking the water. Stillwater. Quiet and peaceful. Medium of strenghth with tons of flavor. Floral to take the lead followed by hints of cedar wood. I'm pacing my puffs about every minute or so. I've picked up a little fruity citrusy flavor slightly in the exhale. The taste is very pleasant. I get a bit of a sting, almost like acid reflux in my sternum but in a very pleasing way. This review is all f'd up, isn't it? *The burn line seems to be self correcting and the ash has darkened. The smoke has really died down during this third, re-enabling the double puff method. The stick has an incredible smoothness to it. Much like a Rocky Patel 92 torpedo. The stick has gone out for no reason. Relight number 1. First draw after relight very strong and all the flavor is back. Nose-inhale was probably a mistake. Mellowed out nicely again. Bringing on a bit of coffee but very subtle.

Third Third: This cigar has become a little stronger and if I had to describe the flavor maybe earthy. It has lost it's sweetness and floralness but remains very enjoyable. The burn line is still wacky but needs no attention. Ash is about 3/4 and looks like it may be ready to fall soon. Picking up a bit more spice than earlier and nose-haling has become more complex. Getting earthier with a twist of meatiness. The color of flavor has reintroduced itself nicely toward the end. An unexpected surprise. The ash has grown to well over an inch. So much for falling off soon! *The second ash has dropped. I'd say a good 1 1/2 to 2 inches before hitting the ground. The sweetness has crossed with a mellow spice overall keeping the finish interesting. The burn line has gone downhill but it's near the end and undistracting. A minor touch up was made and brought out the flavor a little more. The kind of smoke you enjoy resting in your mouth awhile before exhaling. *The last couple puffs have been extremely pleasant. A real joy at the finish. I'm afraid it's time has come. An appropriate demise.

Finish: 9:10pm

Burn Time: 1:35

Afterthoughts: *Very enjoyable medium body cigar. *After finding out the price I am even more thrilled about this stick. A very good cheap go to cigar for mornings or afternoons. Would be a good cigar late at nite as well.

Recommend: Yes

Box Worthy: Yes

Nub Worthy: Yes, will be added to the Burnt Fingertips Thread

Better with age: Not so much. A month to 6 months would be fine I think. This isn't the kind of slap in your face flavor profile that would be better with 5-10 years. I think it's good the way it is.

Price:
Single: $3.50
Box: $65 for a Box of 20

The Chingas Rating: 17-21

My rating system makes no sense so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Chingas; 07-25-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Chingas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Alec Bradley Harvest Selection 1997 Habano Review

Thanks for the review! I did a blind box split of the non-habano version, and I really liked them!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

Partagas

These didn't fit in the first post...

Any feedback on the review, likes, dislikes, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:40 AM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review...thanks for sharing!!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:03 AM   #5
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Great Review! What Lighter Is That? It Looks Sweet!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
Big_Ern
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ernie
Trading: (1)
Trinidad
Big_Ern is on a distinguished road

great review! I am going to put this on my list of cigars to try
Old 07-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #7
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Great Review! What Lighter Is That? It Looks Sweet!
Sorry, I wish I knew the actual model but it's a Firebird I got from a B&M a while back.

Thank you all for your comments.