Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 08-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #21
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Barclays Premier League 2013/14 Banter

I became a fan of Chelsea when I stumbled across a game of there's a few years ago. Can't remember who they were playing. The style of play at the time reminded me very much of the Redwings style of play in hockey. Lots of passes to setup the odd man situation for a quality scoring chance. Been a fan ever since.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #22
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

First Name: Ray
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about

When I knew absolutely nothing about soccer many years ago I watched a game on TV that was very interesting. It was a red team and a blue team and that's about all I knew lol. I did recognize the red team as Man U because everyone has heard of them. The blue team was winning so I decided that was my team from then on, even if they were not very good lol. That blue team happened to be Chelsea and I've followed them ever since.
4WheelVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #23
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

A childhood friend of mine was a huge Liverpool fan because his father was from there. I always HATED "soccer" thought it was a girly sport, huge baseball fan and kinda followed American "football"! Then about 6 years ago another friend who is also a Liverpool fan had me over to watch a game (vs Gunners) at his house and the rest was history. 45 minutes non stop play, 20 minute break then another 45 minutes of fast tempo play, no commercials, no time outs, no 2 minute warnings. Now I can't watch American sports. One day I will take my family to Anfield (their stadium) to watch Liverpool. To all who dont follow the EPL YoTube the KOP singing You'll Never Walk Alone and you will understand the passion of being a LFC fan!
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #24
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
A childhood friend of mine was a huge Liverpool fan because his father was from there. I always HATED "soccer" thought it was a girly sport, huge baseball fan and kinda followed American "football"! Then about 6 years ago another friend who is also a Liverpool fan had me over to watch a game (vs Gunners) at his house and the rest was history. 45 minutes non stop play, 20 minute break then another 45 minutes of fast tempo play, no commercials, no time outs, no 2 minute warnings. Now I can't watch American sports. One day I will take my family to Anfield (their stadium) to watch Liverpool. To all who dont follow the EPL YoTube the KOP singing You'll Never Walk Alone and you will understand the passion of being a LFC fan!
American sports have nowhere near the passion that football has worldwide.

When I started following English football, Liverpool had the history, tradition, and quality of top club. That and the link to the roots of rock and roll have made me a fan - even though recent years have been heartbreaking.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #25
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Peter just remember- Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown.Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart, and you'll never walk alone,
Old 08-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #26
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Peter just remember- Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown.Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart, and you'll never walk alone,
Old 08-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #27
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

Montecristo

Quote:
......45 minutes non stop play, 20 minute break then another 45 minutes of fast tempo play, no commercials, no time outs, no 2 minute warnings. Now I can't watch American sports.....
This is my take as well. It's just not the same. I still enjoy hockey and occasionally college hoops, but english/european football is where it's at for me. I'm also a big Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka fan and just got to see them play and score in person when they came to St. Louis over the weekend. Awesome times.
I don't know what you LFC folks did to Torres before he came to Chelsea, but he definitely needs his mojo back. I loved watching Torres play for LFC and I still think he's a fantastic talent. Chelsea just isn't a match for him maybe.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #28
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WheelVFR View Post
This is my take as well. It's just not the same. I still enjoy hockey and occasionally college hoops, but english/european football is where it's at for me. I'm also a big Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka fan and just got to see them play and score in person when they came to St. Louis over the weekend. Awesome times.
I don't know what you LFC folks did to Torres before he came to Chelsea, but he definitely needs his mojo back. I loved watching Torres play for LFC and I still think he's a fantastic talent. Chelsea just isn't a match for him maybe.
He lost his mojo at LFC. Which is why they let home go.
Great talent. But as in any sport, a great talent is nothing if it doesn't mesh with the team.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #29
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

Montecristo

Any LFC peeps watch the Being Liverpool series? I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the club for sure, but I thought it was an awesome series. It gave some great insight into the "inner sanctum" of the club and also gave a glimpse into the lives of some of the players. If you haven't seen it, I think they still show it on Fox Soccer or Fox Soccer HD.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #30
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Great talent. But as in any sport, a great talent is nothing if it doesn't mesh with the team.
Right you are. Should be interesting to see what Mourinho does with him and see if any changes can bring that brilliance back. Chelsea definitely needs a talent like he showed at Liverpool once upon a time.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #31
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

I've watched bits and pieces of it but didn't actually sit down and watch it! Agree with Peter about Torres, and the funny thing was when they signed Carroll and Suarez I was way more pumped about having Andy! Remember following him the year before and thinking man this dude is a talent, especially him getting a hat trick against LFC and the commentator saying Andy Carroll can do no wrong this year. So- yes a player must mesh with the club!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #32
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

/endthread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #33
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
ColdCuts will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Barclays Premier League 2013/14 Banter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Curious to hear how everyone became a fan of their respective clubs....
What a great great question! I'd love to hear everyone's story as well.

I came to support Manchester United in about as natural a way as any American can come to support a Premiership club. I played soccer from childhood through high school so I always had an appreciation for the sport. But my ties to Manchester United began quite by happenstance. In around 2000, Manchester United worked out a marketing deal with the Yankees Entertainment and Sports (YES) Network, which then began airing United's weekly Premier League matches on tape-delay. One Saturday I stumbled upon a broadcast. I didn't know who or what I was looking at, but I was instantly attracted to their attacking style and their winning ways. I tuned in again the following weekend, and so began my ritual of watching MU week in and week out. Before long, I knew the players and something of the club's character. I didn't yet know their well-decorated history, but I knew they were a joy to watch. Naturally, I began to develop an emotional stake in their results. You watch the same club week after week, it happens.

I guess you could say I caught the futbol bug. I wanted to experience matches in person. So when I could, I began attending Major League Soccer matches at Giants Stadium. The NY/NJ MetroStars had a young upstart goalkeeper, a New Jersey native named Tim Howard. Of course, he's famous now and enjoying great success at Everton, but back then he was just a local guy at an average club in a small-money league who was beginning to garner some attention. He began receiving regular call-ups to the U.S. Men's National Team. And he continued to excel. Jump forward to 2003, and hometown hero Tim Howard signed with the mighty Manchester United. MLS's Tim Howard, "Timmy," a local guy I'd met and chatted with, had signed with the famed Red Devils. This was awesome! Awesome for all concerned parties. And it further strengthened my allegiance to United.

As if that weren't enough to make me forever United, Manchester United then announced, as a tuneup ahead of the approaching Premier League season, that they would do a summer tour of the United States, playing a handful of top European clubs, in a handful of major American cities, Giants Stadium being one of them. So, I was present, and with great seats, to see Manchester United play Juventus on July 31, 2003 when Tim Howard made his debut for the club. It was a packed house: 79,005. The atmosphere in the stadium was something I'll always remember. It was absolutely buzzing. Like a massive beehive. The match was buzzing too. Exhibition match or not, both clubs came to play. United won that contest in grand fashion, 4-1 with beautiful and varied goals from four United legends: Giggs, Scholes, Van Nistelrooy, and Solskjaer.

The following summer, MU returned to Giants Stadium for another pre-season warmup after signing yet another young American, defender Jonathan Spector. Again, I was there. This time, United lost a very entertaining match to A.C. Milan in penalties. By this point, my commitment to United was unshakable. How could it not be after all of that magic just kind of fell in my lap? A couple years later I would find myself standing among fellow Manchester United supporters in the away end at Stamford Bridge, but that's a story for another time. I haven't yet made it to Old Trafford. Not yet.

I'm sure that was more than anyone wanted to know. But you asked, and I was happy to tell it.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #34
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Great story Dave. Glad to see there's more and more support for futbol on this side of the pond. Looking forward to this weeks opening matches. I'll be watching while working on a server migration.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #35
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Great story Dave. Glad to see there's more and more support for futbol on this side of the pond. Looking forward to this weeks opening matches. I'll be watching while working on a server migration.
Thanks, Bob. I only wish I could've told that story over a cigar. One of these days, I'm gonna find a place to enjoy a cigar with the match. Even if it means somehow hauling my own flatscreen outside. Wouldn't that be the ultimate, a great cigar while watching the match? *sigh*

I'll be watching also. You can bet on that.

P.S. That was a thing of beauty from Rob. Post #32 in case anybody missed it.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:09 AM   #36
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

They don't have TV's at your lcoal cigar bar? Mine didn't have FSC but I would always watch the ESPN2 games there
Old 08-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #37
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann
Lightbulb Re: Barclays Premier League 2013/14 Banter

Quote:
They don't have TV's at your lcoal cigar bar?
No TVs at the cigar bars I know of in the city. And, sadly, no cigar bars at all here in Brooklyn.

There must be a place or two in Manhattan to catch a match and a smoke and I just don't know about it, right? Anybody know? If so, please clue me in. If not, that's an untapped market...

You thinkin' what I'm thinkin', Gabe? Perhaps it's time you and I opened a 'soccer & cigars bar' in Brooklyn. Could you imagine? Dream job, no? Think there's any money in it? I guess all we'd need are a business plan, a business license, some investors, a nice space, and great inventory. What else?

I'm only half joking. It does sound like the job to end all jobs.*

*At risk of straying off topic.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #38
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

We'd need girls in lingerie as cocktail waitresses/servers and excellent music, I'm down brother, Im only 2 hours away from NYC. If you come up with the investors I'm in! But for real tho if ur ever in Philly or or next time I'm in NYC I will hit you up, I'm in Hoboken all the time I have family there! Hmmm maybe Reds v Red Devils? Post game go to Davidoff NYC or my local B&M for leather sofas and the game?

Back to this thread tho 1 day and a wake up!!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #39
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Quote:
We'd need girls in lingerie as cocktail waitresses/servers and excellent music.
Now THAT'S my kind of business plan! We'll have to name the shop, "Heaven."

You know, you seem like a really likable guy, Gabe. I mean, apart from the Liverpool thing.

YES! Super pumped for Saturday! I don't imagine Stoke will give your boys much trouble. And mine damn well collect all three from Swansea.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #40
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCuts View Post
You know, you seem like a really likable guy, Gabe. I mean, apart from the Liverpool thing.
Watch it there, Bub!

A humble request to all who post here. Many times I DVR the matches to watch later in the weekend. Please be discreet when discussing the recent matches. After 24-48 hours, it's all good.