Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 02-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road
Default Johnny Walker Blue King Geo V

This is listed at $600 a bottle at Bevmo. My curiosity is not only sparked it's on fire. Has any one sampled this, I'm trying to figure out what makes a bottle of scotch worth 600 bucks. I will never be able to afford it but would like to hear from some one who has tried it if any of you have sampled it.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Heatmiser
Still Watching Your Rack

Trading: (1)
Heatmiser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Johnny Walker Blue King Geo V

I just saw this bottle today at Hi Times in Costa Mesa, CA. My first thought was that their standard Blue isn't worth the money they charge for it so i doubt this is anything close to being worth it. Of course, this is just my $.02
Old 02-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
This is listed at $600 a bottle at Bevmo. My curiosity is not only sparked it's on fire. Has any one sampled this, I'm trying to figure out what makes a bottle of scotch worth 600 bucks. I will never be able to afford it but would like to hear from some one who has tried it if any of you have sampled it.
I have never heard of this release, let alone seen a bottle of it. If anyone could post a picture, I am sure, it would be appreciated by all. $600 is a lot's and lot's of money for a bottle of anything, especially a scotch. My first thought, is of my opinions of the JW Blue, which are not very high. Yes, it's a truly great scotch, but it is no way worth the price, somewhere in the $160 to $180 range. There are a host of blends and single malts out there in the $60 to $90 range that are much better, at least IMHO. That alone makes me very suspicious as to the quality of a $600 bottling!
Old 02-17-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

I've only had one glass. Had it at a golf course in Biloxi, Mississippi, of all places (place called Fallen Oaks--great golf course if you're ever in the area). Anyway, it was very good. Not worth the price tag, in my opinion, but very good.

Edit: Ok, maybe "very good" wasn't doing it justice. It was excellent. But for crazy expensive stuff, I'd rather have Macallan 25.

Last edited by croatan; 02-17-2009 at 10:56 PM.
croatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
kayaker

This is from Wikipedia:

Blue Label King George V Edition - 2007 To recreate the Johnnie Walker blending style from King George V era. Oak casks dating back to the last century were used to age the whisky, sourced from distilleries operating during the reign of King George V. Special packaging in crystal decanter accompanied by an individually numbered certificate of authenticity.($550)

I agree with most sentiments that JW Blue is good, but not worth that much $$.

Here's a quote I just found about blends:
"By the time you get up into the blends that don't taste like paint thinner, you're probably paying more than you would for a decent single malt."

Old 02-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road

I can't imagine a bottle of any liquor being worth 500-600 bucks, that's why I was flabbergasted when I saw that price tag.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
n3uka
Feeling at Home

Trading: (30)
Cohiba
n3uka has disabled reputation

Just a wee bit out of my price range.
About $540 over it
n3uka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Jay Hemingway
I know because of KRS1

Trading: (7)
LFdC
Jay Hemingway will become famous soon enough

IMO the JW blue label is an amazing blended whiskey!!!

i was really into scotch at one time and have tried many different brands. most blended whiskeys i would mix with cola and drink like a cocktail. any single malts i would drink(sip) straight up, or with a touch of spring water. johnny blue is the only blended whiskey in my opinion worth sippin straight. it is incredibly smooth and blended perfectly, a great scotch!

now this JW blue king george V is probably some excellent scotch. it is VERY expensive, even for me. there is always a bottle of blue label and gold label at my house, the king george V will have to come around when i hit the big ball! lol

i would love to try some!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cigars and sabrett 539.jpg (101.4 KB, 394 views)
Jay Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #9
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Hemingway View Post

i was really into scotch at one time and have tried many different brands. most blended whiskeys i would mix with cola and drink like a cocktail. any single malts i would drink(sip) straight up, or with a touch of spring water. johnny blue is the only blended whiskey in my opinion worth sippin straight. it is incredibly smooth and blended perfectly, a great scotch!

now this JW blue king george V is probably some excellent scotch. it is VERY expensive, even for me. there is always a bottle of blue label and gold label at my house, the king george V will have to come around when i hit the big ball! lol

Dunhills, Festivals, Davidoff's and JW Blue? Damn Playa!
Old 02-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Hemingway View Post

How are you my friend?

I am happy to hear your impressions of JW Blue. It is obviously a Palate thing, and I rate mine as only slightly above average. For me, and most people I know, JW Blue is extremely smooth. In fact, it's so smooth that any real flavor nuances are greatly diluted by it's smoothness. For me, and again, I'll say, most people I know, it is far too expensive for what it offers my Palate.

I say this, because my impression of the Louis XIII Remy Martin, is exactly the same. I believe it sells in the area of $1200 in a plain bottling and around $1600 in a crystal decanter. I was fortunate enough to have been invited to a very exclusive meeting, about 20 years ago, and was served two healthy sniffers of it, during the course of an evening. Louis XIII Remy Martin, is said to be a blend of over 1000 different cognacs, and as a result it it extremely complex. For me, it was not. I recall it as being very Flora on the nose and extremely smooth on the palate, with a one dimensional flavor profile, of cinnamon, and a very light spiciness. I've had cognacs in the $80 to $125 range that simply blow Louis XIII Remy Martin away!!! Of course, that only me!
Old 02-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I can't imagine a bottle of any liquor being worth 500-600 bucks, that's why I was flabbergasted when I saw that price tag.
come to Amsterdam, my fav liquorstore has a bottle of cognac worth 8900 euro!!
Old 02-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
spooble
Palmetto State Herf Crew

First Name: Chad
Trading: (58)
ERdM
spooble will become famous soon enough

They had the King George Blue in the liquor store on the cruise ship I just got off of. $445 I believe. They also had Louis XIII at the bar for $77 a shot. (Cheapest I've ever seen it).

Alas, my wife didn't allow me to partake of either.
spooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
Ace$nyper

I need this, I'm a big fan of the blue label.

I don't know for 600 you could probably do a lot more, with a single malt.

But I'd be willing to try it if the opportunity came up.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #14
kayaker

I've had the Blue Label a few times and always enjoyed it, but for the money there are a lots of single malts that I would rather get.

I'd certainly like to try the KGV, but I'm not shelling out for a bottle, nor even a dram at a lounge. My current most paid for a bottle is ~$230 and I'm not looking to beat that any time soon.

I'm not knocking anyone's choice, but I know I like malt whisky more than grain whisky.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
Jay Hemingway
I know because of KRS1

Trading: (7)
LFdC
Jay Hemingway will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooble View Post
They had the King George Blue in the liquor store on the cruise ship I just got off of. $445 I believe. They also had Louis XIII at the bar for $77 a shot. (Cheapest I've ever seen it).

Alas, my wife didn't allow me to partake of either.
the loui is $100 a shot at the bar near me..
Jay Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #16
Teeznutz
Habanos Addict

First Name: Troy
Cohiba
Teeznutz is on a distinguished road

I've seen it as low as $350 shipped......Still pricey IMO.......
Teeznutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #17
Teeznutz
Habanos Addict

First Name: Troy
Cohiba
Teeznutz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeznutz View Post
I've seen it as low as $350 shipped......Still pricey IMO.......
http://www.hudsonwinemarket.com/skuA564135.html
Teeznutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #18
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
I've only had one glass. Had it at a golf course in Biloxi, Mississippi, of all places (place called Fallen Oaks--great golf course if you're ever in the area). Anyway, it was very good. Not worth the price tag, in my opinion, but very good.

Edit: Ok, maybe "very good" wasn't doing it justice. It was excellent. But for crazy expensive stuff, I'd rather have Macallan 25.

That is exactly what I thought when I tried it. I have a wealthy friend that has an incredible scotch collection, and he let me try some. It was far better then the regular Blue Label, but I would rather have some Macallan 25 for the price.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote