Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Katmancross

Default Kristoff Maduro Robusto

Name:  kristoff maduro first choice.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  97.8 KB

I picked the Kristoff Maduro to review. The stick is Dominican Olor and Cuban seed Nicaraguan. The wrapper is an oily Brazilian Maduro.
Name:  kristoff unlit.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  107.8 KB
Ever have one of those days where everything goes wrong? That's today. I wanted to take photos of the ash and I kept knocking it off into my lap. Trust me, the ash hangs on like a monkey to his coconut.
The stick has a beautiful pig tail and a shaggy foot...although on this one, it looks like a shaggy leg.

I used a chain saw to remove it.
The prelight has just the smallest of hints of coffee.
I felt I was destroying art when I clipped the pig tail off. I buried it in the back yard next to my cat, Liza. She made it to 19.
I said a Jewish prayer but stopped when I realized I was praying over something with the word “pig” in it. So I genuflected and came inside. It's a balmy day in Wisconsin. Only 29 degrees. Like Summer.
Upon light up, I immediately tasted some wood and black licorice. The ads for this stick say it has some spice to it but I only got the faintest of faintest spice.
It's a dead center medium body....right to the end. It never ramps up into near full body.
Makes it easy to smoke it until it's a tattoo on my thumb.
Name:  kristoff katie.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  96.5 KB

If I had a camera instead of a phone camera, you could see that it has a very oily sheen to it. It glistens in the light.
The construction is good and it's a firm stick without any soft spots. It draws perfectly and the burn is perfect. It also burns slowly. Since I was smoking a Robusto, 5.5 x 54, that was a good thing. Took between 45 minutes and an hour to finish it.

The black licorice stays throughout the cigar. The complexity doesn't kick in until half way through. And then the flavors start pouring out of it.
I get a sweet caramel. Some coffee. I also get this black cherry flavor that was totally unexpected. The last half is extremely well balanced.

Lots and lots of smoke emit from the foot. I created a fog for a while.
What little spice that was there in the beginning, fades completely.
But it is replaced with a very nutty taste. Can't identify the nut, but I'm sure someone can.
The last 2” is wonderful. This is what a great cigar should taste like. It never makes me light headed so I can smoke it right to the nub without putting it down. I'm having trouble keeping it in in the ash tray's groove because it's so small.
I purposely held off on smoking the Ligero Maduro until I smoked this one. I highly anticipate putting the cigar down a couple of times with that one.
I don't score cigars because it's highly subjective. But if forced to do it, I'd give it a 90.
Name:  krisotff nub.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  124.0 KB
Old 01-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation
Default Re: Kristoff Maduro Robusto

Great read and review.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Bageland2000
On another adventure

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (2)
RyJ Army (Active)
Bageland2000 is on a distinguished road

I really liked the natural wrapper Kristoff I had. Great Review, things will go better for you next time...
Old 01-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Kristoff Maduro Robusto One of my Favorite cigars. Great review brother.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Katmancross

Thank you, gentlemen!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Nice review. When you smoke the next Kristoff, try biting the pigtail off. I was taught to do it this way and it usually results in a perfect draw.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
Katmancross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Nice review. When you smoke the next Kristoff, try biting the pigtail off. I was taught to do it this way and it usually results in a perfect draw.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you just bite it off right at its root? Does this keep the end from opening up further?
Old 01-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Nice review, Phil. Serious enough for those that only want the facts and just the right amount of humor to keep others smiling. Perfect combo.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
Katmancross

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
Nice review, Phil. Serious enough for those that only want the facts and just the right amount of humor to keep others smiling. Perfect combo.
Thanks, Tim. I want to have your baby.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmancross View Post
Do you just bite it off right at its root? Does this keep the end from opening up further?
Yeah, right at the base. They usually "pop" almost like biting into a grape. It leaves a gap about the size of a punch cut, and I've never had one unravel on me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #11
Katmancross

Quote:
Yeah, right at the base. They usually "pop" almost like biting into a grape. It leaves a gap about the size of a punch cut, and I've never had one unravel on me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cool. I will try that on my next one tomorrow.
Thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmancross View Post
Thanks, Tim. I want to have your baby.
I'll check with her. She's 35 tomorrow.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
Katmancross

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
I'll check with her. She's 35 tomorrow.
That's the funniest g*d d**n thing I've heard all day. You had me laughing out loud, hard.
You're a bad Daddy. Bad Daddy. No treats for you.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
Katmancross

I am dreading tonight. I have sleep apnea and wear a CPAP mask and machine. Have had one for almost 5 years. No biggie. I sleep better now and I don't snore.
But the horrifying night in the evil doctor's lair is miserable. I have to be there by 8pm and they throw you out at 6:30am.
But then I get a brand new machine...they go for around $2K
This photo shows how they hook you up for beddie bye time.
Thank you Medicaid.

Name:  394px-Wired_up_for_a_sleep_study_02A.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  53.9 KB
Old 01-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #15
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Great Review, Phillip!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #16
Katmancross

Name:  old people.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  13.2 KB

I want to be serious for a moment. Even though I've made a living in commercial construction, I've always written. I got the bug when I discovered the Marx Brothers and Woody Allen in college. I aspired to write like that.

I've been a cigar lover for more years than I care to admit and this new jaunt in life is exilirating.
F****s-S***e took a chance on me. It was their idea to have me write the way I did. They were very supportive. I would do anything for them. I'm sad that they think I'm a traitor for making a big deal that I have clients now.
A traitor who was paid a 5 pack and a perk now and again.
I told them I would do whatever they wanted and write for them for 2 cigars. But the damage was done. Of course, they couldn't get over the fact that the other clients were very generous, which F wasn't.
I maintained a very good friend out of this, so it was worth it.
If they want me back...in a heart beat.

But here's the deal. I posted those reviews and got skewered inside and out for them. Some of it got personal. Probably my fault. I was so excited that I couldn't keep it to myself.

But because of the support and criticism here, I am growing. Without each and every one of you, I would still be paddling a canoe with one paddle.

I owe any success that comes my way to you guys.
And Peter (pnoon) has been a terrific guy...sending me private messages that were meaningful and supportive. He kept me grounded. I will name my next child...in my next life, after him. I hope pnoon doesn't get him beat up in school.

You are a great bunch of guys. You got heart.And you are helping me find my way. I love you, man!

I will continue to work hard. I will listen to you. And I will never eat poop from the litter box again.

Thanks and warmest regards,

The Kat
Old 01-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #17
timj219
Feeling at Home

Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device

I always bite these off. Using a cutter just seems wrong.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #18
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj219 View Post

I always bite these off. Using a cutter just seems wrong.
Yeah. It doesn't work for all sticks with pigtails (I get a better draw cutting El Mejor Emeralds, for example) but it just works with the Kristoffs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #19
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Great review of a yummy stick!!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #20
Bageland2000
On another adventure

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (2)
RyJ Army (Active)
Bageland2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Jeff, my next cigar will surely be a Kristoff, I'm really curious about this
Phillip, my Dad has sleep apnea as well so I sorta know what your going through...he hated going to the sleep clinic. Let us know how it goes!