Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 11-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #21
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Just stumbled upon Five Guys

Listen, if you guys want to compare burgers... it's OBVIOUS... that the best burgers come from my own grill and from my own kitchen... HOWEVER... for $6.49+tax (The price for a 5G Bacon CB at my nearest location) I feel like it is a darn good deal for what it is. And it's not JUST the burger that you get. Most people just stop by long enough to place an order, pay, pick up and take out... but if you ever get the chance to stop in and watch the process that they use to create burgers at such a rapid pace (Same with In-and-Out)... and to see your fries being made right in front of you... I mean literally... it was a whole potato less than 30 seconds before it was french fries... It's the EXPERIENCE that I enjoy...

Ok so it's clear that I love a good burger joint... and trust me, I'm a self-proclaimed aficionado... But there is something about both Five Guys and In-and-Out (Especially in-and-out) that reminds me of how it must have been in the olden days. Like... I could almost close my eyes and imagine a jukebox playing Chuck Berry music with a parking lot full of 1950's Chevy Bel-Air's.

These two places are the essence of the burger joint... and I say screw Ruby Tuesday's and Chili's and those wannabe "Something for everyone" type restaurants... I like a place that does one thing... and does it well... and has no problem about saying it...

Just look at the menu... You can get a burger... or a cheeseburger... or a bacon cheeseburger... and just for good measure 5 guys throw in a decent hot dog... which I'm sure not many here will refute the goodness that can be found betwixt those buns (Yeah, I said it... what?).
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #22
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

It's good but I'm totally worthless at work after eating one. There should be a warning "Don't eat 5 guys and drive home" as you are asking to fall asleep at the wheel
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #23
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Love me some 5 Guys. The small burger and small fries is way more than enough!!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #24
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

My favorite part about 5 guys is the attitude of the employees. It's a breath of fresh air, at least here in center city. The company must take good care of them and it shows in the way they treat the customers.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #25
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks these are way overpriced and not worth the hype??
i have found that they are hit and miss.

Charlottesville 5 guys = hamburger awesomeness.

Hampton 5 guys = overpriced mediocre burger

i could go on as i have been quite a few 5 guys
Old 11-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #26
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Buddy of mine updated his facebook status a few weeks ago something like "I had Five Guys for lunch today"...took on a whole new meaning after awhile.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:38 AM   #27
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks these are way overpriced and not worth the hype??
Nope, I hate those small patty grease burgers. I've been there once...there was a lot of hype and I was pretty hungry. Didn't do it for me. The fries are fresh cut...meh...they just take a whole potato and throw in through a press. Then deep fry them it takes like 3 minutes and 30 seconds for fresh cut fries. I worked at a VERY VERY similar burger joint a few years back, never could eat the food.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #28
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

I think it's great. I stopped by a couple weeks ago and grabbed a burger and fries. I don't remember what I paid, but it didn't strike me as out of line for what I got. The large fry was HUGE and the burger was pretty sizeable as well. They just opened a second location closer to my house than the one I stopped at - it could be dangerous. It is the best fast food burger I've ever had by far, though I've never had the pleasure of In-N-Out burger, despite my love of the Big Lebowski.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #29
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsetGO View Post

Of course, this is the one I ate at!!
Old 11-02-2010, 06:44 AM   #30
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

We were into the local on about a year ago, and then suddenly the management changed. The buns we no longer fresh and they started to ration the napkins (can you eat those fries without a couple of dozen napkins? I can't). We haven't been there since.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #31
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsetGO View Post

I agree, up in MD could barely get my mouth around the double cheeseburger, down here they smash the burgers down with a press like Steak and Shake
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #32
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

once a week lunch stop for us.

About a PC round trip journey.... with a bit of wandering.

Best part of going there is watching "rookies" that let their 4 kids each order a large fry.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #33
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Love going to Five Guys. Usually the sack is so full of fries you have to dump it out on a plate just to get the burger. It's Awesome!!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #34
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I like the peanuts.
If I order a cheeseburger, large fries and a drink, it's more than enough for two people.
In comparison, Burger King would cost more to feed two people, and everything there is gross aside from the Whopper (which is also arguable, but I love them sunsab1tchez).
I don't think five guys burgers are any kind of culinary masterpiece. I do think that if a couple orders smart and shares, it's a good value with food that's above average for fast food. And it's fun.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #35
docdoty
Cigars & Guns...what else

First Name: Justin
RA AirForce
docdoty is on a distinguished road

5 guys is good, we just got one in lubbock about 6 months ago
Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #36
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

We just got a 5 Guys built a couple miles from our house. Never had it but will have to give it a shot after all this talk
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #37
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

As a connoisseur of fine, fast-food dining, I can't think of a better place to enjoy ones time of consumption.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #38
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Some of the best, if not the best, burgers I have ever tasted...but be careful, they are addictive.
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #39
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

We just had Five Guys after my son's knee surgery on Friday. It's not on my allowed to eat list since I'm trying to lose weight, but it was a wonderful change of pace. Those fries are awesome!

MCS
Old 11-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #40
tx_tuff

They haven't been here two long, maybe a year/ year and half. I love them, food is just fresh!! And thats what it is all about! Somebody said something about Wendy's earlier, OMG I hate their burgers! One of the best things I like is the fresh Jalapenos, no other fast food place has them! No In and Out here, there is a Smash Burger 15 to 20 miles from me but I haven't eaten there yet, need to try it out.

Five Guys for me and the wife, 1 double cheese burger, one burger, small fry with tax is $12.59 and we both leave fat fat full. That is not a bad deal for fresh food. I didn't add the drinks because they are over priced everywhere!!!!