Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Tyler

Default RH Question

I am new here and will head to the introduction section after this post. I had a question though...er multiple questions.

I recently purchased a digital round Xikar hygrometer from my local B&M. I did the salt test in a mason jar with a half shot glass full of salt and dampened it with water. I let it sit for roughly 10 hours (I was a little late on getting to it) and it read 79% 66F. My question is does the temperature make a difference? I had been directed to a website which had the different RH levels for different temperatures for it to equal the same conditions as 70% 70F. Link is here. It states that at 66F a RH of 80% would be equivalent to 70% 70F. Here is where I am confused as hell and maybe I am over thinking. Does the digital hygrometer take into account the temperature to determine the RH or is each independent? Furthermore, would the that make my Hygrometer +3% or because of the temperature is it less than that? I know the RH is supposed to be 75% in the salt test but if the water was over saturated would that make a difference as well?

I apologize for all of the questions but I recently found cbid and kind of just bought 175 cigars (and counting ) and I want to make sure that my hygrometer is accurate.

I also am thinking of doing a cooler-dor as my current humidor says it holds 200 cigars but the cigars I ordered are mostly 50+ ring gauge. I bought some KL to use instead of the beads and I know there is some debate over these. This is also another reason I want to know that my hygrometer is accurate is so that I can use the KL and be able to adjust to get the correct humidity.

Anyways, sorry to have a really long first post and I hope I didn't ask too many questions.

Maybe I am just over thinking.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Cattani

Default Re: RH Question

I don't have a freaking clue to the answer for your question, but wanted to say that is is a damn good question! I'll be checking back to this thread often.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

If it says 200, bet on 140-150 if that. 50+ ring gauge...probably less, 120-130? Not sure what KL is, but beads are great.

I wouldn't even worry about the hygrometer I just know my beads never fail. I only have a hygro so I know when to recharge my beads. It drops 5-ish points I recharge the beads.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
Nathan King

Welcome to the Cigar Asylum!

You're overthinking things. Keep humidity between 62 and 70 regardless of temperature. It sounds like your hygrometer is simply +4. Your salt test was fine as long as you didn't have so much water that it was separated from the salt.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
Link is here. It states that at 66F a RH of 80% would be equivalent to 70% 70F.
The temperature can have a small effect on RH, but 70% is 70%. If your hygrometer is properly calibrated and reads "70%", then the RH is 70% regardless of the temperature.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
If it says 200, bet on 140-150 if that. 50+ ring gauge...probably less, 120-130? Not sure what KL is, but beads are great.

I wouldn't even worry about the hygrometer I just know my beads never fail. I only have a hygro so I know when to recharge my beads. It drops 5-ish points I recharge the beads.
Sorry I forgot to spell it out instead of abbreviating. When I said KL I mean the Exquisicat fragrance free crystal kitty litter that is the same stuff as most of the beads I hear. It was $8 for 4lbs versus $10 a pound for the beads at the local B&Ms and places that I can find. I thought I would give it a shot though as I have heard of guys having great success with it.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Sorry I forgot to spell it out instead of abbreviating. When I said KL I mean the Exquisicat fragrance free crystal kitty litter that is the same stuff as most of the beads I hear. It was $8 for 4lbs versus $10 a pound for the beads at the local B&Ms and places that I can find. I thought I would give it a shot though as I have heard of guys having great success with it.
Some claim to have success with KL. I cannot argue or dispute their success. But KL is not the same as the beads sold for cigar humidification. Personally, I would not risk my cigar investment using KL.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Some claim to have success with KL. I cannot argue or dispute their success. But KL is not the same as the beads sold for cigar humidification. Personally, I would not risk my cigar investment using KL.
Crap. I better change fluffy's litterbox media. No wonder she always has that funny look of "I'm going to murder you in your sleep for using cigar beads in here" after she goes pee.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I'm with Pnoon, there's also the fact that I don't want anything that I smoke or ingest near kitty litter. That and If I leave open my coolidor perhaps my cats could get the wrong impression. You do or are going to spend hundreds if not thousands on your cigars why would you skimp on the care for them? I'd spend the extra $20-$60 (depending on your humidor size) to ensure my cigars were properly maintained.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Crap. I better change fluffy's litterbox media. No wonder she always has that funny look of "I'm going to murder you in your sleep for using cigar beads in here" after she goes pee.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Yes....and yes. Why skimp on beads (less than $100 for a cabinet) when protecting potentially thousands of dollars worth of cigars?

EDIT: Bill beat me to it.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #12
Tyler

Here is a picture of the thing of KL. Mine is a little different on the front but same stuff. Fragrance free. The cat is not amused though.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Old 01-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

Old 01-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #15
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

On a serious note, I'm storing thousands of dollars worth of cigars, I'm not going to put that kind of investment at risk by trying to save a few bucks by purchasing something designed to soak up cat urine rather than something that is designed to regulate a set humidity and has been used to great success at that for decades (by museums for artifact preservation).

----
Edit - Looks like Tom beat me to it.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #16
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

BTW - I did experiment with KL at one point in a smaller storage area with some low cost cigars (stuff that you get for like $9 a bundle of 25 on cbid) just for my own curiosity. Very irregular, lots of humidity spikes and dips. It seemed that it did buffer the humidity, but it didn't regulate it. There is a significant difference between the two.

That was my experience with it.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #17
Tyler

I will try the KL and if it starts acting funny I will order some beads. I just am pretty poor right now and put in a lot of bids and did not think I would win at such low prices but low and behold I did. Now I am stuck with all of these cigars . I suppose I can always stick the crap cigars in with the KL and then use my old beads (that have been keeping the tupperdors regulated) in with the Gurkha's, Nub's, and Cain Nubs. I chose weekly shipping to save money so they won't ship until after this coming Wednesday. I still have a while to figure things out. By the way would a old mini fridge work as a fridge-idor?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #18
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

I'm thinking we would need more information on your minifridge. Throw up a picture. Was it used for food? Or just beverages?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #19
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
By the way would a old mini fridge work as a fridge-idor?
If you planning on plugging it in and running it - maybe. Depends on the design.
Just filling it with cigars and leaving it unplugged? - Sure. Just an insulated, nearly airtight box at that point.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #20
Tyler

It was used for anything and everything but has not been used in 6 months. I thought it was in the garage but it might have been thrown out or back at my house at school. I guess I should just buy a cooler for a cooler-dor and then buy some beads.