Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2013, 03:23 AM   #1
Robulous78

Default CAMPING GEAR Recommendations

Hey Fellas,

Been thinking about doing some more-serious camping this year. I already have a nice pack but I am looking for recommendations for lesser gear, i.e. Water filter systems, cooking systems, phone charger systems, Sleeping accessories, tents ect...

Please be detailed with your responses, only post gear you have personally used. If there was something you specifically liked or disliked, tell us about it...

Links to the item would be nice as well...

Thanks for your help,

Rob
Old 09-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: CAMPING GEAR Recommendations

Rob,

Reccomendations will largely depend upon the type of camping you're planning on doing. If you are planning on being able to drive to within a few yards of where you'll be camping it will make a huge difference in the size and weight of the gear you buy. If you're backpacking you'll need to take into consideration the weight and packability of the items you purchase.

Personally I like to do both depending on the circumstances. So I have two very different sets of gear. Since you did mention that you have a good pack already, I'll assume that means you're planning on having to tote all this stuff with you so I'll base my rec's on that.

Anyone who has ever watched an episode of Survivorman knows there's a few essentials that Les seeks out before anything else. Now, that's not to say that you're going out on a survival trip, but the Eagle Scout in me knows to be prepared, because a fun weekend trip can turn into a survival situation in a matter of seconds.

1) Reliable Knife - Victorinox Hiker is my personal choice. It's compact, doesn't weigh a ton like a bulky Leatherman or other multi-tool and it has enough versatility to get just about any job done if you have a little ingenuity. Personally, that tiny little saw blade that seems too small to be useful has actually saved my and my cousins life before.

2) Clean Water - Katadyn Hiker Microfilter. This water filter will pump gallons of clean pure water in a matter of minutes. It eliminates all the really dangerous stuff and more (Giardia, etc.) it also has an easily replaceable filter and weighs less than 1lb. Pro tip: Carry a handful of coffee filters and a rubber band to put around the intake hose if you're filtering extremely muddy water to prolong the life of your filter.

3) Fire - Carry with you at least 3 different ignition systems. Lighter, waterproof matches and a magnesium striker. You never know when you're going to get out into the wilderness and find that you didn't tighten up the cap on your gas can and now you've got nothing to cook with. Cavemen have been starting fires for millenia, with a little practice and the right tinder, you can start a raging fire with little more than a piece of steel wool and a flint with striker.

4) Shelter - Personally I've used a lot of different types of tents. There's a lot of different ones to choose from so my reccomendation would be to find one that has features you think you'll use (ie. External vestabule for storing gear, gear hammocks inside for essential items like flashlights, radios, etc, and a manufacturer's warranty of at least 2 years.) Eureka makes good tents at reasonable prices. I personally have used Bivy's made by Slumberjack for extreme lightweight single person camping. But my favorite is my North Face Rock 22 (which I think has been discontinued). The North Face makes very good stuff. But you'll also pay a premium for these tents.

5) Sleeping Bags - Again, there's a lot to choose from here. I'm fairly tall at 6'3" and find many of the mummy bags to be just too damn short and uncomfortable. If that's not an issue for you then don't worry about it and buy a regular sized bag. If it is, look for in an extra long or with a cantilevered foot. It makes a world of difference. I have a Slumberjack that's a 0 degree bag and a Coleman Xtreme that is a 32 degree bag. You'll need to know what to expect when choosing a sleep system. If you're planning on backpacking in South Florida in the middle of summer, do not spend the money on a 0 degree bag. If you're planning on camping in the Yukon in the dead of winter, look for something with a rating of at least 10 degree below the expected low temperatures.

6) Sleeping Pad - A Must-Have item for any camper or backpacker. Sleeping on the hard Earth may seem rugged and manly if you've seen too many westerns like I have, but trust me. It sucks. You get cold. There's always a root sticking you right in the kidney and no matter what you do, you're going to have a horrible night and wake up tired. Therma-rest makes awesome products ranging from large sizes to minimalist backpacking types. Pick one that's self-inflating.

7) Stove - For backpacking, I prefer white gas. I use the MSR Whisperlite. Now, white gas can get messy and carrying around a bottle of ligquid fuel can pose its own risks, but I like the versatility of it and the fact that on full blast this thing will bowl water in like 4 minutes or less. I also had used a Peak 1 Liquid Propane system for a while. It's nice, but in cold weather it loses some of it's heat and carrying a bulky 1lb LP bottle in your pack isn't the most space saving method.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47307

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40217

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80076

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___55812

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___90058

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28572
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Finally, something I know a little about...

I try to buy one new camping essential every year, as I can afford better stuff now than before.

Tent: I have been thrilled with Alps Mountaineering. I have a 3 person tent, which sleeps 2 comfortably, and 2 roomy exterior vestibules for the gear. I also pack a couple tarps to lay down inside the vestibule area to keep my gear dry. I really wanted something lightweight, aluminum poles (never had good luc k with fiberglass), a FULL rain fly, etc.

Link:

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/al...-tents/extreme

Sleeping Pad: Nemo Tuo. It's a dual layer, so you inflate the bottom layer fully to protect from the harsh stuff on the ground. Then there's an upper layer that is adjustable. You can inflate it a little for a soft feel, or fully for more firmness. Combined with a cot, it's VERY comfortable. Even without the cot, it's amazing.

Link: http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Tuo+Luxury

Sleeping Bag:

Honestly, I've only used Coleman. I don't camp in the winter, so I don't need a super heavy sleeping bag.

Flashlight: Fenix TK11.

Headlamp: LEDLenser H7.

I just got an Ultra Survival Elite bracelet from Broken Art Custom Murals and Design (on facebook). It's a nice safeguard that I can wear out in the sticks.

It has this stuff weaved up in the paracord:

"Each bracelet will have 12-18 feet of cord
1 striker (ferro) bar
1 P38 can opener
1 sewing needle
1 exacto razor blade
20 feet of "dual duty" cotton thread
30 feet of braided spider wire line
2 no. 10 fish hooks
3 split shot weights.
That's 13 total pieces plus a highly reflective chrome buckle"
Old 09-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

I love this thread so far...
Old 09-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

First Name: Ray
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about

I can't be of too much help but I'll give some suggestions on some of my favorite gear.

Tent - Marmot Equinox. Not sure if they still make the same model, but I've had 2 over the last 10 years and they have been great tents. They have definitely taken some abuse and kept me dry.

Sleeping bag - I bought a cheap Slumberjack 45 deg down bag several years ago and it has been great. Not very expensive, but definitely does the trick. Works well for warm weather camping since it is so light and I've been in it down to 15 degrees and was still toasty. I used a fleece liner on the 15 degree nights, but I slept in my skivvies and was toasty warm. Not bad for a $50 45 deg bag.

Sleeping pads - Thermarest and that is all. A must have imo.

Boots and shoes - My favorites are Vasque for trail running and also for medium duty hikers. My all time favorite light/medium hikers are Nike ACG Tallac, but they are no longer made. When they quit making them years ago I bought about a half dozen pairs and still snatch some when they come up on Ebay. Love those boots.

Those are about all the suggestions I have. I usually camp out of a canoe or car. Haven't been backpacking too much.
4WheelVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

Ninja's list is pretty much spot on with what I would suggest. I would add that I would pack along some potable aqua iodine tabs as a back-up in case of filter failure. Love this thread and it has been far too long since I've spent time in the mountains. Oh yeah, for fishing tackle I would suggest going for cheap and simple. It is easy to break fishing gear while hiking and a reel that you can take apart and put back together in 5 minutes is gold.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Best suggestion ever!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
Best suggestion ever!
Yep. A mobile Man Cave

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Last trip I went on that required/desired fishing equipment, I found a collapsible rod that slid down inside itself to less that 18 inches. A great item for backpacking, and it wasn't expensive, and actually held up excellent. I can't add much to Jeremy's List. Cooking gear will depend on what you plan to eat, and how many you will be cooking for. If there are several people along, and it's hiking, split the load. One carries the stove and fuel, one carries the cook gear and one carries the food. The variations are endless, but similar characteristics to consider. Regardless of size (individual cookset verses base camping set and in-between), you will want a kit that "nests" in each other. The main differences are size of the pots and the material. Aluminum is lighter, but I've never had good luck with it, just heats too uneven on anything but water. Stainless steel is what I've always used, but boy can it be a pain to clean if you burn on anything. Titanium is a great choice for weight and quality, but expensive. I don't recommend non-stick, as I've never seen it hold up over any length of time, and cook stoves tend to produce really hot flames. I have two different SS MSR sets, one for individual (or two people in a pinch), and one that will cook for 3-4 while backpacking. Campmor is a good source for these. On any of the kits, I'd recommend a diffuser plate that goes between the flame and the bottom of the pot. It really cuts down on scorching food, and keeping the flames from the bottom of your pots/pans keeps soot cleanup to a minimum. A good tip for soot removal..... Before you start to cook, take little liquid dish soap and rub on the bottom and lower sides of the pan/pot. The soot sticks to the soap, not the pan, and you simply wash the soap off with the soot during cleanup. Carry a pair of good leather gloves. For fire work and cooking, cause those handles are ALWAYS hot!

I've tried the filter bottles where you fill them with stream water, and then squeeze the water out thru a straw to drink. It's a slow process, especially when you are thirsty. And poor choice for getting water to cook with. Most water you use to cook with is safe after about 5 minutes of a good boil. But a good water filter is hard to beat!!! If you go with a white-gas stove, most new stoves are multi-fuel, and you can use white gas and even unleaded gas. Fuels that are under pressure, or can be put under pressure will heat the fastest and most efficient. White gas (IMO) is the best and fastest, and works regardless of the outside temperature, because you provide the pressure by pumping. Propane is next (for me), but it and Butane (or a mix) will lose pressure and take longer the colder the outside temperature. However, be aware that the Boy Scouts no longer allow liquid gas appliances (stoves or lighting), so some of my suggestions would not be good if the gear is to be used in the future for a potential scout. Regardless of the stove you chose, make sure it has a stable and sturdy base. I've seen many meals ruined when a stove turns over because the feet are poorly designed or too close. Stability becomes an issue once you get a cookpot full of stew or soup sitting on the stove. That's a reason I like liquid fuel stoves. The have that fuel tank below for extra weight and stability. Most Liquid-fuel stoves do come with a liability, in that the controls are usually harder to get to once the pot is on top, and the heat is going due to valve control placement. Gloves! Or, consider a stove with a fuel tank that is connected by a fuel line. The pump and control valve is away from the heat source (doesn't burn you and safer). And most of these are easily disconnected, allowing for re-fueling away from the cook/flame area, without waiting for a stove to cool down. These stoves also tend to sit lower, which gives a lower center of gravity for your cooking, and less spill chances. Just DO NOT get a stove with a remote fuel tank that uses a PVC/hard rubber hose. In even moderately cool weather, these hoses are stiff, and it's usually a PITA to position the hose where the hose isn't flopping the stove all over the place because the stiffness of the hose.

The suggestion for a tarp for the tent is a good on. Small poly-vinyl tarps are usually only a couple of dollars at Harbor Freight, light weight, and have a hundred uses. Pack them on the bottom of your backpack, so when you sit your pack on wet ground, the tarps are on the ground, NOT your sleeping bag or clothes or tent!!

Carry extra rope. Paracord is an excellent choice. Wind some duct tape around a stub of a wood pencil. You can put a couple yards on one, and it will take up only a small area. Carry a small thing of dental floss. It can be used for 100 things, and is light and small.

Ray's suggestion of a fleece/micro-fiber bag liner is a good one. This gives you many options, including using ONLY the liner if the weather turns warmer, or adding the liner inside the bag if temps turn suddenly colder (we've been camping before where it was 70-75 in the day, but by the night, it was snowing, and temps fell into the high teens). Liner can be a life saver.

If you are hiking, carry moleskin for hot spots/blisters. Carry a small bottle with rubbing alcohol. Stop if you feel hotspots. Wipe feet with alcohol. It self dries quickly, and will make your feet cooler and feel refreshed. Then put on that dry pair of extra socks you are carrying. Make sure the socks are "wicking" socks. If you are hiking, and going decent distances, go with modern fiber pants, NOT blue jeans. Denim sucks up moisture, takes forever to dry, and weighs a ton (especially when wet). Wicking garments like Under Armor is a great choice.

If you will be roughing it, and fire cooking, consider a camp/hiking axe like the Zippo 4-1 camping axe with a neat saw design. I shy away from machetes for the most part, unless you plan on jungle hiking. They are lighter, but flex too much for anything but small sticks and leafy plants.

I've always preferred Thermorest brand pads/air mattresses. They come in all sizes and lofts. I use their longest and highest loft (think its two inched thick, 6 1/2 feet long) when base camping. I've used a 2/3 length for backpacking in mild weather. Remember, the pad is as much for separating you from the effects of cold ground as it is for providing comfort). Don't forget a pillow. It will save you a neck crick the following days! I have used them from microfil (flattens out to minimal loft, not worth much, IMO) to memory foam (great comfort, but heavy). Usually go with an inflatable one that has a pillow case large enough to add some of my clothes to as a softener.

Not many links I can give, but Campmor has been a go-to source for me. Bass Pro Shops and the like are also good choices. If you are backpacking for any distance, pack up your stuff. Then take it all out and cut it down by 1/3 to 1/2 the weight if possible. The rule of thumb is no more than 25% of your body weight. If you are in really good shape, and the trails are minimal elevation changes, then the 25% rule might work. It didn't for me on the Appalachian Trail! Nor did it for the two 18 year olds with me (son Jeremy and his best friend - also an Eagle Scout). I ended up cutting my hike short, catching a ride back to the truck, and taking about half the gear from their backpacks with me. They took ALL the food. And still came up short.

Heavy trails need extra food. Dehydrated is the only way to go, but you need to make sure the trails have adequate sources of water. And a meal that says its for two people.... ISN'T. If the trail is tough, re-plan your food needs by at least 50% more.

Just like a two-man tent ISN'T! Two people, either go with individual bivy or a three-man design. With vestibule for gear storage if possible.

If you are base camping, then most of the above goes out the window! The bigger, the better on the tent. Heavy cast-iron dutch ovens and charcoal for most of the cooking, and big tarps for overhead in the cooking/eating area. And Cots to put under the biggest Thermorest pads you can get!! And ice chests of fresh foods.

Either way, make space for a travel humi with at least 5 sticks per person that smokes. A nice cigar around a campfire is hard to beat, on the trail, or beside the truck overlooking the lake!!!

Last edited by SvilleKid; 09-09-2013 at 08:15 PM.
SvilleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Cliff, I had figured some of these went without saying (carrying extra para cord for example). All excellent tips, just seems I forget more than I know about camping haha.

That's always a lot of fun though. Trying to be the most prepared. Seems every trip, there's a moment where you go, "you know what would be perfect right now?" And whatever item that may be gets packed on the next trip. At least, that's how I've learned.

I've been out in the middle of the woods my whole life haha. Some stuff just happens to be second nature now haha. I always have some extra aluminum poles (about 18" in length, with male end one side, female the other, for an adjustable system for keeping goods dry with the extra tarps. Also carry a grommet kit to add them as needed to tarps.

That darn grommet kit has proved itself time and time again. That coupled with the extra poles to make a quick shelter.

I really like the tape idea around a pencil. Never thought of that. I normally just rest a roll of TP in the middle of the roll of duct tape to save space. Great advice on the tent sizing issue as well. I've found that I need to buy one DOUBLE the recommended rating, especially if I want to keep any gear in there.

I may go take a look at the thermarests. I suggest you take a look at the nemo tuo as well, to see how they compare.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
Robulous78

Love the way this thread is taking off guys... Keep em coming...

I am thinking of a longer hiking trip, the kind where weight is a factor, that being said, as a former fat guy (FFG) I have an overwhelming need to know my equipment will survive me, I don't want to buy any stupid hammocks that break, Seats that colapse, sh!t shovels that bend... etc. I want my small selection of items to be quality...

That being said, I am thinking about a few extras such as an iphone charging system for music and calls if needed as well as access to local information etc. If anyone else has ides for extremely useful extras that would be cool as well...

third caveat, I am not a rich man by anyone's definition, so as nice as some of the uber expensive gear is, if it is ridiculously expensive, I won't buy it...

So with all that, Carry on fellas...
Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
markem
Bunion

Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

If you want serious, you can check out the blog of my friend Lisa, who has done the Appalachian Trail (twice), the Continental Divide and the Pacific Crest Trail.

Go here for details: http://www.trailjournals.com/Peru/

The really cool part is that she did all this after getting her PhD in Biology (plant DNA sequencing) which was her second career after being a very successful animation designer/artist.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
Robulous78

I am actually thinking of starting a few weekend trips out on the AT... Thanks Mark!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #15
markem
Bunion

Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
I am actually thinking of starting a few weekend trips out on the AT... Thanks Mark!
check out her gear page for the iPhone recharger
Old 09-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Call me old fashioned but... leave the iphone at home or in the car. If you absolutely just have to take it with... theres a wonderful battery preservation option called the off button. Just my humble opinion.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

^what Jeremy said.

I don't travel into the woods to stay connected to technology. I do it for the opposite effect.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #18
Robulous78

I know I know, but I like tunes when I walk...

Not to mention, if I did find myself out on a longer hike, being able to use the a map app would be pretty useful...
Old 09-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #19
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Nowadays, they make maps out if paper too.

And I sure like to turn off all other noises when I'm out there. It ends up just being God and I. And while I am a spiritual person, religion doesn't smack me in the face until I'm out there in the wilderness. It's actually really powerful stuff.

I'm definitely not one to "preach" about that stuff. But there's no denying something universally present while out there.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #20
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

So Rob,

When i hike, im always thinking of things with more than one use. If youre planning on hiking part or all of the AT, you may want a gps along for the ride. And if you like music while you walk, why then also take an iphone? This Magellan Triton 1500 Hiking GPS appears to do both. You can get topo maps by connecting to a PC, record audio files, expand the memory and add songs or books on tape through an sd card slot, hell, it even has an LED flashlight for emergencies. The best part about it? It runs on 2 AA batteries which require no charging time and can be found almost anywhere.

Just an idea.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000V4S6Y2http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000V4S6Y2