Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 10-04-2014, 12:38 AM   #41
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tongue Bite..Va\Per recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Pipe cleaners are your friend. Use them liberally. Use them between lights.
SOP after a bowl has died. Run a pipe cleaner through the shank into the bowl, and same for the stem. Simply keeps it cleaned up as you go along...
Old 10-04-2014, 12:57 AM   #42
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
SOP after a bowl has died. Run a pipe cleaner through the shank into the bowl, and same for the stem. Simply keeps it cleaned up as you go along...
You don't mean separating the stem from the shank, do you?
Old 10-04-2014, 01:12 AM   #43
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
You don't mean separating the stem from the shank, do you?
What are you still doing up anyways?

Yes. After a bowl, I twist the stem from the shank. Run a pc into the shank and to the bottom of the bowl. Turn it around and do it again. Then do the same process to the stem. This simply clean out the "brown gunk" and helps maintain a somewhat clean draft hole. You use up two pipe cleaners
Old 10-04-2014, 02:55 AM   #44
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
What are you still doing up anyways?

Yes. After a bowl, I twist the stem from the shank. Run a pc into the shank and to the bottom of the bowl. Turn it around and do it again. Then do the same process to the stem. This simply clean out the "brown gunk" and helps maintain a somewhat clean draft hole. You use up two pipe cleaners
I'm up because I work night shift. I asked 'cause it sounded like you meant while you were smoking. As soon as it cools down I'm doing a cleaning; I was a Bubblehead, after all and I'm kinda nutz.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #45
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Pipe cleaners are your friend. Use them liberally. Use them between lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
I keep forgetting to do this.

Is this still necessary on a Peterson system? How about a filtered pipe? Savinelli will be my next pipe.
I am not a fan of Peterson pipe, their "system" pipes seem to be nothing more than a pooling system for tongue bite, at least for me. And, they are the worst pipes to try and break in, the crap the use to coat the inside of the pipe seems to do more to make a pipe smoke hot and the natural cooling nature of the porous briar is severely inhibited. (Of course, many people love them)

As for the Savinelli, you will receive filters and an inserts for if you do not use the filters. You may try the filters if you so desire, that is you prerogative. Personally, the filter in any pipe are a nuisance and inhibit air flow, thus causing friction in the flow and sometimes enhancing tongue bite.

They also get in the way of the liberal use of a pipe cleaner while smoking.

Oh, and never take a pipe apart when it is warm.

Another thing, if a pipe cleaner does not pass while a pipe is unlit, it will probably cause bite. When I look at new pipes, I run a pipe cleaner through it while put together, it should pass through to the bottom of the bowl with minimal effort (as the tip of cleaner might be bent, you may have to turn it a bit to get it to pass through). Reputable shops will understand and have no problem with my doing so. I once found a Don Carlos that still had the drill filings in the stem - it was a royal pain. I have even sent pipes back I ordered online as they arrived and a pipe cleaner would not pass through in any way.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Todd
Old 10-04-2014, 07:25 AM   #46
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
I am not a fan of Peterson pipe, their "system" pipes seem to be nothing more than a pooling system for tongue bite, at least for me. And, they are the worst pipes to try and break in, the crap the use to coat the inside of the pipe seems to do more to make a pipe smoke hot and the natural cooling nature of the porous briar is severely inhibited. (Of course, many people love them)

As for the Savinelli, you will receive filters and an inserts for if you do not use the filters. You may try the filters if you so desire, that is you prerogative. Personally, the filter in any pipe are a nuisance and inhibit air flow, thus causing friction in the flow and sometimes enhancing tongue bite.

They also get in the way of the liberal use of a pipe cleaner while smoking.

Oh, and never take a pipe apart when it is warm.

Another thing, if a pipe cleaner does not pass while a pipe is unlit, it will probably cause bite. When I look at new pipes, I run a pipe cleaner through it while put together, it should pass through to the bottom of the bowl with minimal effort (as the tip of cleaner might be bent, you may have to turn it a bit to get it to pass through). Reputable shops will understand and have no problem with my doing so. I once found a Don Carlos that still had the drill filings in the stem - it was a royal pain. I have even sent pipes back I ordered online as they arrived and a pipe cleaner would not pass through in any way.

Todd
This is pure gold! Thanks Rev.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #47
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Thanks, guys. I'm starting to regret the Peterson. I won't be spending any more money on their products. Their service sucks. This experience had led me to comissions a handmade billiard from a local up and coming artist, Jerry Crawford. Spendy, but hoping it will be worth the cost.

As a side note, I thought the military mount could be disassembled while the pipe is warm.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #48
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: James
Trading: (2)
WaRevo is on a distinguished road

Sorry started to write this about 3 hours ago. had it all done besides the photos. Since then I had smoked a Padron 1926 while drinking a Beer and manning the the BBQ Very nice steaks and ribs.

I don't have a Peterson Pipe. However in every pipe that I have that is bent and has a Peterson type holding area, While smoking, the pipe cleaner can only go down to the holding area. I haven't seen one yet that you could pass a Pipe cleaner from bit to the bowl. In fact it would take away from being able to clean the extra fluids from the holding area. In fact one reason I miss my Ajustamatic Dr. Grabow Regal is because it had a screw in Stinger. Where my not as old Dr. Grabow Savoy has a stinger but isn't screw in and can't be removed while smoking and if I smoke to wet of tobacco in the pipe it seems to always fill the holding area to the height of the air way and starts to send the bite my way.. So I only smoke Hearth & Home tobacco or Orlik Golden Sliced in that pipe. None of the system (type) pipes I have, Includes 8 Dr. Grabows, 3 Savinellis 1 Roma (Made by Savinelli) 2 French Bruyere pipes and a Made in Italy Oom Paul type pipe all have a extra holding area, some better then others. I can smoke them all with Aromatics or Va/Per with out an issue. Starting this writing the fist time, I have since re wrote what i was writing and even was going to start a different thread and came back here, Taking 3 pictures to address a couple of things. First picture is the best I can do to show a holding are like a Peterson in my Savinelli 622 KS That is now my favorite pipe of all my pipes, You can not see the Air way into the bowl but it is there LOL. Next picture I took while I started to smoke some Connoisseur's Choice by Peterson, was going to add to what is in my bowl thread however it kind of shows the start of the 3rd picture that is me taking a Pipe cleaner and the only one sent down this pipe the whole smoking time to show how little Moisture it took from that holding area. However it took it all that had made it there. Some Blends will be much worse. I know it is different tobacco then what we are talking about. Just trying to show what should be done from time to time with a pipe like the Peterson's system pipe to keep the extra fluids from creating tongue bite. As long as it don't have a Filter or Stinger

Maybe try Hearth & Home AJ's VaPer, It has some added Black Cav to add some sweetness.... I tried very hard to get it to burn hot and create tongue bite. Got the Pipe hot no bite. Very nice dry tobacco worth a try...

James

WaRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #49
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I'm starting to regret the Peterson. I won't be spending any more money on their products. Their service sucks. This experience had led me to comissions a handmade billiard from a local up and coming artist, Jerry Crawford. Spendy, but hoping it will be worth the cost.

As a side note, I thought the military mount could be disassembled while the pipe is warm.
Hey, do not get down on Petersons because of me. They have sold probably tens of thousands of pipes, so they must work for some people - lots of them in fact.

So, if you ordered one, you may one of those who can smoke a Peterson and enjoy it. I have a buddy who absolutely loves them, has about 20 of them. They are handsome pipes.

Todd
Old 10-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #50
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:

Yeah, me too. What's up with them, I thought that was one of the attractions of them?
Old 10-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #51
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

It's not the system design so much as the poor quality control. The draft hole is way too high up the bowl and numerous emails to Peterson to request some sort of confirmation that this is a defect. Their lack of response irks me.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #52
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, me too. What's up with them, I thought that was one of the attractions of them?
au contrair (sp?), just like any pipe, do not disassemble while smoking.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #53
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
So, the pretty silver fittings are simply for aesthetics? Do they have any functional benefit?
Old 10-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #54
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
I am no Expert. Nor do I even have a Military Mount, However over the years that type of pipe is said to be ok and built for being removed while smoking. The stem's tenon on this type of pipe is tapered to provide a friction fit, and the shank almost always being reinforced with a metal band. I remember seeing a few people in my old town where I used to smoke at a Tobacco bar, Most have closed now because of Laws. They would remove the stem while smoking and said wasn't a good idea, I was then Educated with its use. Looking it up again to make sure they were not pulling my leg I see in the Wiki for Pipes under cleaning. It talks about that type and says yes it is designed for being removed while smoking/warm. you can find that info here http://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Packing...ing_techniques

In my last post I had stated that I couldn't get a pipe cleaner in my Savinelli 622 KS to the bowl while smoking however right now I am smoking some Mac Baren Cube Silver in this pipe and using a churchwarden pipe cleaner, with the tip slightly bent up after I ran the pipe to the reservoir turned it while slowly moving it and it did make it into the air hole and to the bowl.... WOW. My Favorite pipe for sure. I love everything about this pipe. Funny thing is the person that sold it, Did at a very cheap price because he thought there was a bad drill/draft/smoking no good. IT smokes perfect for me. Without drying this tobacco in most of my other pipes would cause bite before 1/2 the bowl is smoked. You can see with the picture below that it does show that it was more of a bite-able smoke from how dirty the pipe cleaner was. You can see how much extra moisture is on the tip compared to when i smoked the Peterson blend. I want to have it known as well that the Pipe was cleaned very well before I packed the pipe with the Mac Baren tobacco so it is for sure 100% from this tobacco. Where the last pipe cleaner when cleaned was white when done. Plus the post before the bowl was almost finished before I needed to run the pipe cleaner, This time was just under 1/2 the bowl and this blend is much heavier in the Moisture and extra tars..
This was again in relation to my last post where all pipes that are like the Peterson System pipes are not all bad IMO. This is the first pipe of all the pipes I own with the system type res that I have been able to get the cleaner into the bowl and honestly blows my mind.

James
Old 10-05-2014, 12:25 AM   #55
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
So, the pretty silver fittings are simply for aesthetics? Do they have any functional benefit?
Already posted but not sure if you seen so I thought i would post the same link to you. It is a little the way down under cleaning but says it was designed to be removed

http://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Packing...ing_techniques

James
Old 10-05-2014, 01:28 AM   #56
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

I plan to get a Sav next, James. I hear (read) good things. The pete smokes great until the bowl reaches the draft hole. I'll try to improve it with mud.

Also think I need to clean more frequently. That last bowl in the great Dane church warden was nasty. I just cleaned it and like 10 q-tips came out of the shank completely black. It took about 15 q-tips before they came out clean. I'm sure this doesn't help.

As for the bite issues, they seem to be getting better. I still feel a little sting and rawness, but it's negligible for the most part.

I'll have to try some of the HH tobacco. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:26 AM   #57
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaRevo View Post
Already posted but not sure if you seen so I thought i would post the same link to you. It is a little the way down under cleaning but says it was designed to be removed

James
Thanks James!
Old 10-05-2014, 06:16 AM   #58
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaRevo View Post

James
Yes, it CAN be removed while warm, but it still is not a good idea. I have seen military mount pipes crack, even under the metal. Remember, even metal expands with heat.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #59
badbriar

A lot of pipe smokers find that aromatics can give a roaring case to tongue bite. I find myself in that group. Even the mildest aro frays my tongue. On the other hand, I prefer full bodied English and Balkans. Dunhill Nightcap is superb and smokes cool with no tongue bite. Virginias also can bite if pushed. Remember to sip lightly and the reward is awesome!
BTW, skip the Billy Budd for a cigar leaf blend - gives you the zacklies!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:08 AM   #60
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

Oh yeah LOL I do have 3 pipes with the Military style bits One of the reason I love my Omega's so much. Never had my shanks warm or hot. But understand isn't a good idea. Lucky my stem to shank connection is far past the Briar.
James