Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
Steve OB
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Steve OB is on a distinguished road
Default Temp control - how important is it?

I am new to the forum. I( have read many threads about what temperature and RH should be (70/70%). I was wondering, how does one control the temperature in cooler humidors and most desktop wood box humis? I am converting a Magic Chef wine cooler into a humidor. It will hold about 22 boxes of my favorite smokes (Oliva Serie V Churchhills) I know that compressor driven cooling systems tend to suck the humidity out of the box, so I don't intend to use the cooling system. I will unplug it. I intend to use beads to control RH. I learned that the mean annual RH where I live (San Diego) is 69%. The unit will be inside. In the summer the temp inside varies between 65 and 75 (no A/C). That means the temp inside the unit will be 65-75. Occasionally, it gets up to 80, but it doesn't last long. The winters average between 60-65 indoors. If I maintain a 70% RH inside the unit, will my 3 cigars be OK?
Steve OB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Temp control - how important is it?

Temps above 70* for long periods of time can lead to beetles hatching. A few days straight at 80* is not good. See my reply in your other thread for more info.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Welcome to CA, Steve.
Your temps and cigars will be fine. I live in San Diego (Mira Mesa) and at times I do turn on the central a/c. But in OB, temperature will not be an issue.
As for RH, personally, I think 70% is way too wet. I much prefer low to mid-60s.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
Steve OB
Just in from the Storm

OK, I'm thinking that 70% is probably too high for RH. Good info. Thanks. I don't think the ambient temps here will require chilling. I just don't want to smoke bugs! But wait, does that mean we all smoke bug eggs?
Old 07-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve OB View Post
But wait, does that mean we all smoke bug eggs?
Yes and no. Tobacco beetles are pervasive in all tobacco growing regions. Eradication is not possible but cultural control techniques pre and post harvest can help control their numbers.

Key thing to remember is you are smoking a natural product, that may include other natural things. Plus if you eat peanut butter you likely eat more bug and bug parts than you'll ever smoke and both are harmless. But that's a story for some other time.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
I just don't want to smoke bugs! But wait, does that mean we all smoke bug eggs?
That's a distinct possibility.

*pinky up*
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

You might want to look up the sticky thread on freezing to kill beetle eggs. Many of us use this technique. Welcome!
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
Steve OB
Just in from the Storm

Wharf: you have got to be kidding!!! This getting to be a very complcated sport.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #9
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Wharf: you have got to be kidding!!! This getting to be a very complcated sport.

Nope, not kidding. Many of us freeze our cigars as insurance against beetles.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #10
Steve OB
Just in from the Storm

Buying, modifying, measuring, calibrating, monitoring, fteezing, thawing, replacing, maintaining....is thereany time left for smoking?
Old 07-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #11
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Buying, modifying, measuring, calibrating, monitoring, fteezing, thawing, replacing, maintaining....is thereany time left for smoking?
It's really not that much work once you get your humidor setup. And then don't stress over it. It'll fluctuate temp/humidity. That's normal. As many here have found, cigars are resilient. Freezing only takes a few days. You can always skip it, but it is good piece of mind. So smoke away!
Old 07-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Key thing to remember is you are smoking a natural product, that may include other natural things. Plus if you eat peanut butter you likely eat more bug and bug parts than you'll ever smoke and both are harmless. But that's a story for some other time.
Not to mention "meat products" of all sorts.

My humidors get up to 78* a lot in the summer. That's the set point for the air conditioner. I do freeze and would recommend it, since it is one more relatively painless step in not having to worry about temp.

Some here really like 70% RH. Some like it in the high 50s. Personally, I like about 61-63% and shoot for that. The main trick is to find what works for you. This means, an RH you can maintain where your sticks are smoking well. It's as much art as science, so may take a while. Just remember that changes to RH should be made slowly and infrequently so that the changes do not adversely affect the sticks It can take months for the RH inside the stick to stabilize.

Been there, screwed that up.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #13
the nub
Papa Chino

Trading: (2)
LGC
the nub is on a distinguished road

Quote:
will my 3 cigars be OK?
Quote:
I think you're over complicating things.
the nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Wow. I only do the first one. No wonder I spend so darn much time smoking cigars.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #15
Steve OB
Just in from the Storm

Ashcan. You ate da man.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:57 PM   #16
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Ashcan. You ate da man.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:41 AM   #17
CdnStogie
Fooore!

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
RyJ
CdnStogie is on a distinguished road

Being newer to cigars, I only have a small collection going for about 4 months now. I haven't gone through the freezing my cigars method and have had my temps typically hovering between 72-75* daily with no ill effects *knock on wood*. I just bought a house however and now that I have a basement, I have a much cooler area than I had in my non-a/c apartment so I have my temps corrected.

Though if/when I have a bigger collection (only have about 40 sticks) I will be more concerned with beetles and temp control... From my understanding, most reputable manufacturers/suppliers freeze the cigars prior to putting them in storefronts etc as a safety net - I forget where I read that....
CdnStogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:29 AM   #18
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Due to the climate here I use a wineador. Because of this I don't freeze.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #19
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

So interestingly I had been worried about temp because I have some cigars in a wine cellar. I recently came across a comment from Edward Sahakian (the manager of the Davidoff store in London, England) on James Suckling's website. He suggests 13 degrees Celsius 65% humidity as perfect for aging cigars.

I am now officially confused, based on my understanding of RH, however this is a highly respected cigar retailer who probably has a lifetime of experience with sort of thing.

Cooler and drier than conventional wisdom.
nutcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #20
cmdrmcbragg
Fighting 10,000 tribesmen

First Name: Cory
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
cmdrmcbragg is on a distinguished road

There are so many different methods and recommendations for the humidor: 60-65/70-72 RH. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you like your smokes, which should be fine in either range depending on how moist you want your smokes to stay. I'm fairly new to the collecting and storage of sticks, but not to the smoking of them. My humidor hovers in the high 60s which works for me in Colorado where the air is dryer with a lower humidity at altitude. I'd prefer my humidor to stay up in the high 60s, but I'm sure they would be just fine in the mid to lower 60s. If you average the recommendations I think you'll be just fine. Everyone has their own beliefs and if they all still store and smoke ok then I wouldn't put too much stock into who is truly right or wrong.
cmdrmcbragg is offline   Reply With Quote