Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough
Default Computer help needed

I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but I'm not completely burned out either.
Looking to switch my OS over to a 240GB SSD in my laptop. I have a 1TB HDD currently, I'll use the HDD as a secondary storage. I have an open bay in it so both drives will stay in the laptop. My laptop didn't come with a Windows 7 disc so from what I've read I'll have to clone the drive? From what I know about cloning a drive, don't they have to be the same size?
I backup all my files to an external 2TB drive so I'm not opposed to doing a restore on the laptop if it'll make the transfer easier.
The SSD I bought is a Crucial m500 and they offer a cloning kit for $20 which has a USB adapter and the software disc to clone your drive.

Not sure what is the best route to go with this. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: Computer help needed

Ask GG, he is a computer geek
Old 11-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
MrClean
Bald Man

Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Ask GG, he is a computer geek
Thanks Larry, I knew we had a few on here, but couldn't remember who they were.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Do you have a legitimate Windows 7 Key? If so download a copy of Windows 7 and install it with your legit CD key. If you bought it new I would imagine the key is on the unit.

It's the CD key that makes Windows legit, not the "copy" of Windows 7.

Edit, here's a quick google http://www.pcworld.com/article/24899..._the_disc.html
Old 11-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
MrClean
Bald Man

Montecristo

Yeah Bill it's a legit version. On the bottom of the laptop it has a genuine Windows sticker, but it doesn't look a normal 'key' to me. It may be because everything is run together and not separated by the dashes like on a disc.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Install it either way, and you'll be good to go. Windows 7 is a pretty quick install too.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
MrClean
Bald Man

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Install it either way, and you'll be good to go. Windows 7 is a pretty quick install too.
After looking at it again, it is the usual product key. I could have sworn I looked at it and it was formatted weird.
So I should be able to install the drive, download the Windows 7 software, set the BIOS to boot off the SSD and then format the HDD? With a laptop do you have to set 'master' and 'slave' with multiple drives? I would think so but that's based off what I know about adding drives to a desktop.

Edit: Thanks for the link in your earlier post too
Old 11-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

I would just leave the SSD in, install Windows 7 on that and add the other drive after the install. There's really no reason to add confusion. Especially since the storage drive is already "in-use". That's what I did on my last reinstall.

If you download the Windows 7 software you'll have to use a third party program or service. Some people like going about it that way just to have a physical copy for later.

Otherwise, PC worlds step by step guide should be pretty simple. I'll have to admit I like having Windows 7 on a USB drive as well, VERY handy

Sometimes if you call the warranty on the laptop they will send you a Windows 7 disc. Just depends
Old 11-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
MrClean
Bald Man

Montecristo

Thanks for the tips Bill, I appreciate the help!! SSD should be here Wednesday.