Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-05-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
themadurokid
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Kirbee
Trading: (0)
themadurokid is on a distinguished road
Angry Sibling Rivalry: Don Pepin Garcia Firecracker

Don Pepin Garcia Firecracker

Size: 3X50
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Price: 4.99

Appearance: Short Version: 50 gauge NUB Habano, topped with a firecracker stem length pigtail. Long: This stick is covered with a nice pecan colored wrapper, small veins, a little extra leaf on the foot, and an extra long “TNT” stem, pigtailed cap. I’m not too sure what to expect past the Don Pepin signature pepper.

Prelight: I get a warm welcoming hit of that…you guessed it…Don Pepin Garcia Pepper.

First Draw: Firecracker? Sheeeesh! More like C-4 to me! Another peppery point for “Big things come in
small packages” team! At this point I’m figuring this smoking experience is gonna be similar to smoking a joint of black pepper, BUT (to my pleasant surprise) the pepper slowly gives way to roasted nuts…Almond I believe.

First Third: The texture of the smoke is pretty dense. As I draw, I get a nice blend of pepper and cedar. They transition into the roasted almond and some cream, and then the all of a sudden the pepper comes smashing back with a vengeance as I exhale through the nose and mouth.

Second Third: The pepper took a step back in this third leaving allowing the smoke to get a lil’ smooth on me. There’s an incredible balance of flavors consisting of coffee, cream, raw sugar(turbinado), and roasted almond with a surprising but pleasant sweet, peppery finish.

Final Third (or Nub in this case): Cedar, coffee and pepper are the dominate flavors, with a finish of the same raw sugar it’s had for the past third only…it’s surprisingly gotten sweeter. Any sugar usually would have burned off by this point in most other cigars. One more thing, don’t let the sugar fool ya. I swear I couldn’t have dropped my guard for more than a blink, but it snuck one in on me like a young Ali…and I rose to my feet dazed pretty darn good.

Kirbee’s Final Thoughts: This is a great lil’ stick with a nice blend of well-balanced flavors and true to its name strength that explodes on ya like a woman scorned! At its size, it’s perfect for a cold windy day. I was thankful that I didn’t have to risk frostbite, to finish the stick. If you could take the hard lovin of a full-figured woman, and blend it with the flexibility of a petite gymnast…this cigar would be the result. Thanks for reading…The Maduro Kid

themadurokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
Sanchy

Default Re: Sibling Rivalry: Don Pepin Garcia Firecracker

Fantastic Review!
Old 03-05-2010, 03:43 AM   #3
Patrick B
Feeling at Home

Trading: (6)
Patrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura about

Great review and pics. I liked this cigar a lot but it got real hot on me.
Patrick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:58 AM   #4
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Great Review On A Great Stick!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:59 AM   #5
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Good pics that accompany a quality review. Maybe I'll have to try one if I get a chance.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:18 AM   #6
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Good pics that accompany a quality review. Maybe I'll have to try one if I get a chance.
Bao Got Me Started On These! Great Sticks!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:29 AM   #7
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

I like the Blues above all others in the DPG line. The Firecracker is a novelty stick sold out of a B&M in New Hampshire. The couple I've had gave me some problems on the burn, and the "fuse" often leads to cracking around the head. Get past those issues though, and this is a Blue through and through.

The mad icon in the thread title made me think Kirbee wasn't impressed, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:02 AM   #8
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadurokid View Post
Don Pepin Garcia Firecracker

... At this point I’m figuring this smoking experience is gonna be similar to smoking a joint of black pepper…The Maduro Kid
Never quite heard it put that way....but I AGREE!....

Great review....and pics!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:30 AM   #9
heavyd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
heavyd has disabled reputation

Great review and awesome photos! Need to try one of these li'l fellas

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright." ~Bill Withers
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:30 AM   #10
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Why did you put an angry smiley for the thread smiley if you liked the cigar?
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:50 AM   #11
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Honestly, to me at least, it seems like a waste on money...why not buy the bigger sizes for the same coin (and cheaper in some instances). I mean it looks cool but seems too much of a gimmick. Just my (and I really like DPG's stuff)
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #12
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Nice review! I will have to give these a try

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Great Review Kirbee, I would love to find a few of these somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
The mad icon in the thread title made me think Kirbee wasn't impressed, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Why did you put an angry smiley for the thread smiley if you liked the cigar?
I believe the angry smiley has to do with the "sibling rivalry" reviews both Kirby and Excel write.
issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #14
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review and pictures. These are nice little smokes.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
themadurokid
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by issues View Post
Great Review Kirbee, I would love to find a few of these somewhere.

I believe the angry smiley has to do with the "sibling rivalry" reviews both Kirby and Excel write.
Thanks Tony, and you are absolutely correct!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #16
themadurokid
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man67 View Post
Honestly, to me at least, it seems like a waste on money...why not buy the bigger sizes for the same coin (and cheaper in some instances). I mean it looks cool but seems too much of a gimmick. Just my (and I really like DPG's stuff)
I respect your point of view, Eric. In fact, as a DPG lover, I ventured into this experience with a similar one. At first, "I was kinda thinking along the lines of "I want the other half of my dang blue label!" I let it go tho, b/c as Vin mentioned above, it is a novelty cigar. And, after a good 45min in the blistering cold, I'd all but forgotten about that "other half." Another thing that helped me reason with it is the variation in the conclusion of the stick. For example, I found that I appreciated how the cigar got sweeter, but maintained its pepper as I nubbed the stick (not a finish I've experienced too often). As an everyday smoker, I'd probably go with the longer ones...but this cigar offers a welcomed change of pace...well in my humble opinion, anyway.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #17
themadurokid
Just in from the Storm

Thanks brothers
Old 03-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #18
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man67 View Post
Def not a gimmick...These were especially created for Two Guys Smokeshop in New Hampshire so I guess they wanted something unique. I go there often and gotta say it's a perfect little wintertime smoke, strong, a bit spicy, and only 20-30 min.

You can order them yourself or I can just do group buy/splits and save you a few coin. I don't know when they will be back in stock but I can keep checking.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #19
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #20
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

Ban Bao !
These are worse than crack !!
When are you doing another group buy??
I'm low on crack....