YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Advice from the masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbriar View Post
For some first class recipes and instructions on how to smoke anything, do a google search and type in BBQ FAQ. It is under www.eaglequest.com/~bbq.
Absolutely best place for smoking ever. Ribs, Brisket and Butt instructions are dead on and will give you perfect BBQ every time! Be sure to try the rib glaze!!! I used to cook on a competition BBQ team here in FL for a couple of years and we started with this site for information. First competition, we came in 5th place out of 28. Not too shabby for rookies, but the info from this site was the secret ingredient!

I'll have to check out that link.

I am partial to www.amazingribs.com
It also has a $hit ton of info on the science behind the cooking.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #22
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Awesome info, thanks.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #23
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post

Gotta look after my brother!
I still don't like Steve....but he's inching up the ladder.......nice to see one nice guy helping out another nice guy!
Old 11-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #24
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Hey big Keith, how you been?
Old 11-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #25
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
I appreciate the great advice friends. I talked to Steve today and the situation has been remedied. He has a solution that mutually benefits both of us. Thanks Steve.
Quote:

Gotta look after my brother!
Free smoker in exchange for 20% of all cooked materials delivered to Steve's front door?
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #26
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Free smoker in exchange for 20% of all cooked materials delivered to Steve's front door?
Nah he hit me for 50%.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #27
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Quote:
Nah he hit me for 50%.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:44 PM   #28
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
TG and Dom, I like that Pit Barrel Cooker and will probably order one when the money situation gets better.
I bought a PBC earlier this year when I decided I was fed up with my ECB. So far I've cooked baby backs, beef back ribs, short ribs, and brisket in it and it's been awesome. The food always turns out great and it's an incredibly easy smoker to use. Load it once with charcoal and it goes 8-10 hours without touching it. Plus, no water pan to refill. Just light it up, hang the meat, put the cover on, and that's it. Couldn't be easier.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #29
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I like my WSM, but I've heard so much about the PBC that I'm thinking about picking one up. Does anyone here have experience with both? I'd be interested in a comparison.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #30
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
I bought a PBC earlier this year when I decided I was fed up with my ECB. So far I've cooked baby backs, beef back ribs, short ribs, and brisket in it and it's been awesome. The food always turns out great and it's an incredibly easy smoker to use. Load it once with charcoal and it goes 8-10 hours without touching it. Plus, no water pan to refill. Just light it up, hang the meat, put the cover on, and that's it. Couldn't be easier.
Even when I use a smoker with a water pan, I don't use a liquid in it. All the water is used for is to create a thermal barrier so the food is cooked indirectly instead of directly over the fire. Using a liquid, it is near impossible (in my experience) to get a decent bark. Instead, I use playground sand. This creates the required thermal barrier and allows my product to form a delicious crust.

My $0.002. YMMV.

Enjoy!
Old 11-25-2014, 08:00 AM   #31
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Hey big Keith, how you been?
All good double G!....been a month of Sundays since last time I saw you....hopefully soon my friend, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise....

Quote:
Even when I use a smoker with a water pan, I don't use a liquid in it. All the water is used for is to create a thermal barrier so the food is cooked indirectly instead of directly over the fire. Using a liquid, it is near impossible (in my experience) to get a decent bark. Instead, I use playground sand. This creates the required thermal barrier and allows my product to form a delicious crust.

My $0.002. YMMV.

Enjoy!
and you got sand to play with when yer done!
Old 11-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #32
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
All good double G!....been a month of Sundays since last time I saw you....hopefully soon my friend, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise....

and you got sand to play with when yer done!
Sand with pig fat to be exact
Old 11-28-2014, 06:55 AM   #33
G G
BR549

Bolivar

After reading the replies here and watching all the videos on the PBC site, reading reviews on bbq forums and whatnot. I talked to Steve and he's cool with it, cause he knows I appreciate his friendship and his offer. I have decided to purchase a PBC. I am not a cook and my skills aren't up to par as most of you that do smoking and cooking on a grill. The simplicity of using the PBC sold me. I found a deal on Amazon that allows me to apply for an Amazon CC and get $40 off, and six months same as cash. I just pulled the trigger this morning as I was hoping there would be a little more savings with Black Friday but there wasn't. So for $265 I get the PBC and a Weber 7416 Rapidfire Chimney Starter. Not a bad deal at all and I can't wait to get it so I can become a smokemaster like you all.

Again, thanks for the advice and help. I can always count on you to help brothers.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #34
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

I'm looking forward to checking it out when you get it, not to mention sampling some of the vittles!
Old 11-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #35
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Awesome, Greg! Just be sure to post some pic's in the "What's in your smoker" thread. I look forward to hearing about your experiences with the PBC as I'm mulling over picking one up once we get to our new house next year.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #36
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
I'm looking forward to checking it out when you get it, not to mention sampling some of the vittles!
I would like to have yall out soon and we can do it.

Wife said I can't actually open it til Christmas though, but it might not get here til then cause there is a backlog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Awesome, Greg! Just be sure to post some pic's in the "What's in your smoker" thread. I look forward to hearing about your experiences with the PBC as I'm mulling over picking one up once we get to our new house next year.
Will def post some pics.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #37
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Well looks like I have got to be tortured for a few weeks. The PBC was supposedly on a 2 to 5 week timeline for shipping. I ordered it at 8:30 this morning and I just got notification from Amazon that it has shipped.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #38
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Well looks like I have got to be tortured for a few weeks. The PBC was supposedly on a 2 to 5 week timeline for shipping. I ordered it at 8:30 this morning and I just got notification from Amazon that it has shipped.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #39
G G
BR549

Bolivar

I gotta also say that I have done a bunch of reading about the PBC. What I have found is exactly what everyone here said. With just a bag of Kingsford Original Briquets you can make awesome smokey treats. I was reading on a couple bbq forums and it appeared when it first came out the old hands were poo pooing it and talking about it pretty badly and some of the same ones have one now. LOL