Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
stj386
Livin the life

First Name: Sam
Trading: (0)
stj386 is on a distinguished road
Default Smoking in the cold?

I live in Hawaii so smoking outside is never a problem since the weather is usually nice. However this March i will be going to Jukkasjärvi, Sweden (250km north of the arctic circle) I have to smoke while watching the northern lights but what is the best way to store cigars in an extremely cold environment? I have had sticks split on me while traveling in Chicago and I don't want it to happen during my trip. Any suggestions?
stj386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Smoking in the cold?

When traveling, keep them wrapped in your clothing for insulation. When you go to smoke, keep them inside your coat until you bring them out to fire up.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

And no place on Earth is colder than Chicago, so you have that in your favor as well.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
schollianmj

I dont know, Foggy bottom in DC is pretty damn cold, especially when working a protection detail outside....
Old 01-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
darkninja67

Gloves and a corn cob holder work for me in cold weather.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
And no place on Earth is colder than Chicago, so you have that in your favor as well.
Like a sauna in Chi now...26? -1 here now but no wind. Just took the dogs for a walk and had a short smoke. Without a wind chill it was very pleasant.

Definitely try not to expose the cigars to drastic change if you don't need to. If I open my traveldor outside now every cigar in there would split. I light up inside the heated garage before I walk out.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Coldest I've ever been

Since freezing cigars to kill beetle eggs is common practice and I've done it myself many times & had them come out fine, I'd say as long as you keep transitions to a minimum and let the cigars acclimate gradually, they should be fine. Taking them back and forth from extreme cold outside to blazing artificial heat inside is going to crack the wrappers, not the temperature in and of itself, although the dryness of artificial heat and cold weather may cause some brittleness.
Bagging them in a ziploc with a boveda pack and keeping them close to you is probably the most stable way to go. As for smoking outside in below freezing weather... you better back mostly PCs and minutos. I can stand about a half hour in the 20's as long as it's sunny, but that's about it.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
stj386
Livin the life

First Name: Sam
Trading: (0)
stj386 is on a distinguished road

thanks for all the help!
stj386 is offline   Reply With Quote