Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 02-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #21
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Diedrich IR-1 arrived

Go big or go home, right?
Sweet rig, Rob!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #22
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road

A little update after 9 plus months on the Diedrich.

It has been up and down getting used to roasting on a commercial machine, much of what I had learned previously needed a lot of refinement to get consistent results and I still have a ways to go. I admit there has been moments when I feel like it was a bad investment but I believe that is behind me now.

I see the next step in the near futur is to take on a few coffee lovers as test subjects so that I can get more practice.
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #23
novasurf
The Roastmaster General

Trading: (2)
novasurf is on a distinguished road

GR....getting the IR-1 was a significant step for you. Akin to playing high school baseball and switching to triple A ball. It is not an unlearnable ramp, but putting in time is key....and writing down all you do....start weights, end weights, drop temp....you get the idea. Once you find your swing, replicating it is key. Then varying batch sizes, humidity, ambient temps, air flow....well....welcome aboard man. Never give up. Shoot me a pm anytime with any questions.

I wish you the best.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #24
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Awesome machine - I'd be glad to serve as a test subject if you ever want some second opinions. I did buy a nice Baratza grinder and a French Press...the reliable drip machine gets dustier every day.

I have yet to try my hand at home roasting; "...the next step off the cliff..." as my home roasting friend puts it....

Looks great - have fun - N.F.H.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #25
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasurf View Post
GR....getting the IR-1 was a significant step for you. Akin to playing high school baseball and switching to triple A ball. It is not an unlearnable ramp, but putting in time is key....and writing down all you do....start weights, end weights, drop temp....you get the idea. Once you find your swing, replicating it is key. Then varying batch sizes, humidity, ambient temps, air flow....well....welcome aboard man. Never give up. Shoot me a pm anytime with any questions.

I wish you the best.
Thank you Norm. I have been meaning to pm you but life keeps getting in the way. I would love to come for a visit when you are roasting and you have some time. I am also looking for some sources for greens in the 1/2 to full bag range and would love to pick your brain on this. I am starting the process of dealing with Atlas but any info you can share would be great.
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote