Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 05-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #21
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of
Default Re: Drymistat tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
... Drymistats work ok for travel humidors but that is about all I know about them. Like Icehog said they only put out and do not offer the maintain capability of quality beads.
That's how I use the Drymistats... they work ok in my travel humis, but I use beads in everything else.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #22
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

I use these and find they work very well. The only downside I've found is that their suggestions are optimistic. I'm using 10 sticks for my 150ct and it holds rh rock solid with a very quick recovery time.

Their website does say that it absorbs rh when needed btw...
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #23
ckopper91

Default please help!

I am looking for some help. I am somewhat new to cigars and am very new to humidors. I recently bought an acrylic humidor jar with a hygroset II hygrometer. I calibrated the hygrometer but have tried using drymistat tube and xicar jar and have found that these products make the humidity level go far over 75%. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what humidification system I should use in the jar?
PLease help!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #24
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckopper91 View Post
I am looking for some help. I am somewhat new to cigars and am very new to humidors. I recently bought an acrylic humidor jar with a hygroset II hygrometer. I calibrated the hygrometer but have tried using drymistat tube and xicar jar and have found that these products make the humidity level go far over 75%. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what humidification system I should use in the jar?
PLease help!!!
Hey Bro, I'm here to help. Try these, they'll will keep rh rock solid.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...?prod=HT_05_65
Old 03-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #25
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckopper91 View Post
PLease help!!!
Drymistat tubes and xikar gel are essentially exactly the same thing, humidity jello. They suck at absorbing excess moisture out of the air, they can do it, but they aren't very quick about it. They tend to do a bit better in larger spaces or humidors that leak a bit.

The acrylic jar humidors, especially the ones made like spring top canning jars, are airtight. Airtight + humidity jello is begging for overhumidification as you are experiencing.

My recommendation for the acrylic jar, because there is so little space in there, is a Boveda 65% 2-way pack. You could also go with a very small tube of beads, which are also 2-way humidifiers, from either HCMbeads.com or heartfelt.com, but, you will lose the space for one to two cigars by putting that tube in there.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #26
ckopper91

thanks alot everyone i really appreciate it!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #27
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
...My recommendation for the acrylic jar, because there is so little space in there, is a Boveda 65% 2-way pack. You could also go with a very small tube of beads, which are also 2-way humidifiers, from either HCMbeads.com or heartfelt.com, but, you will lose the space for one to two cigars by putting that tube in there.
That's okay, Adam; He'll be in a coolerdor before he finishes those Ghurkas.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #28
ckopper91

I recently ordered a boveda system 69% do you think this would work for me? compared to the 65% that you recommended?
Old 03-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #29
ckopper91

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Drymistat tubes and xikar gel are essentially exactly the same thing, humidity jello. They suck at absorbing excess moisture out of the air, they can do it, but they aren't very quick about it. They tend to do a bit better in larger spaces or humidors that leak a bit.

The acrylic jar humidors, especially the ones made like spring top canning jars, are airtight. Airtight + humidity jello is begging for overhumidification as you are experiencing.

My recommendation for the acrylic jar, because there is so little space in there, is a Boveda 65% 2-way pack. You could also go with a very small tube of beads, which are also 2-way humidifiers, from either HCMbeads.com or heartfelt.com, but, you will lose the space for one to two cigars by putting that tube in there.

I recently ordered a boveda system 69% do you think this would work for me? compared to the 65% that you recommended?
Old 03-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #30
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

65% vs 69% is a matter of personal taste. Try your cigars at 69% and see if you like them. If you want them a little dryer (or wetter) you can adjust your humidity device accordingly.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #31
ckopper91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
65% vs 69% is a matter of personal taste. Try your cigars at 69% and see if you like them. If you want them a little dryer (or wetter) you can adjust your humidity device accordingly.
Thanks alot Michael
Old 03-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #32
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
+1

65% is just my personal choice.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #33
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

I have the 65 Heartfelt and between the dry house and probably a small leak they keep mine at 60 which I found I like. The Shilala beads will give you the option to adjust to your preference. If I were to do it over again I would go with the Shilala beads.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:39 AM   #34
alexa071
Living the High Life

First Name: Randy
Trading: (0)
RyJ
alexa071 is on a distinguished road

Well... this was my thread from almost two years ago. The advice given to me is still very solid today. I still have my drymistats but I only use them in my travel humidor.

In the two years since I broached the topic I have moved up to a 600 count waxingmoon humidor and I use about 2 pounds of Heartfelt beads in it. The beads are fool proof and I only use so much because my humidor has dedicated space for them and it means less refilling of the beads. My old smaller humidor has now become a flavored humidor for my wife and I also keep a 20 count at work. I use the Heartfelt beads in all of my humidors except my plastic travel humidor.

When you're ready to move up in humidor size (sooner than you would think) I highly suggest waxingmoon... here's the link to my thread about Ed and his build of my humidor:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=47993

Back to your question though... get the beads... you won't regret it!

Randy
alexa071 is offline   Reply With Quote