Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about
Default Bad Ass Police Car Set For Production -

This thing is just wild. Tons of features and powered by a diesel motor -

Read more about it HERE and on their website HERE.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bad Ass Police Car Set For Production -

This is not the first time a company has tried this. A couple of years ago I saw a similar product. I tried googling it but could not find it. But with the big 3 in trouble... who knows, this could happen.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Sweet looking!
Old 12-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
mrreindeer

I hope I never see one up close....or in my rearview mirror!
Old 12-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
Ace$nyper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloo View Post
This is not the first time a company has tried this. A couple of years ago I saw a similar product. I tried googling it but could not find it. But with the big 3 in trouble... who knows, this could happen.
Also with it's just sheer by far better lay out then what is currently offered.

I just don't under stand how those poor beat cops survive in the junk they give them.

Other then the high way troopers they had camaros but not as cool as mine

Honestly this might be a GREAT market to go into, being big 3 are shaken up and the only reason they kept using the hunks they have is buy american, well sorry but what is offered is rubbish. Crown Vic? Horrid, old peoples car at best. oh boy 3:55 out back and a big battery now it's a cop car ICK! Dodge Charger? What a piss poor chassis, riding in a car that shares that chassis with less then 19k miles on it was BY FAR the scariest in my life, simple lane changes you could feel the subframe bushings horrid horrid. Don't even start me on the HEMI issue, but dear dodge if you plan on ripping someone off, at least don't make your product suck.
The impala? Best out of them but still, it's about as impressive as a washing machine, no matter how good it is, it's still a washing machine, drives like one as well.

These guys are out risking their necks daily and we throw those things at them? They should have a car to keep up with the times give them more tools to work with and a safer and more cozy life since a lot of cops are in them 10+ hours a day.

TD might be the wave of the future so I am pretty into seeing someone offer a diesel now with 6+spd autos milage and power aren't as much a trade off like it used to be, so a low revver like a diesel can really still have ummph and power.

That's my 3 cents on the matter.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Agreed on many points.

The Crown Vics are compete junk.

The Dodge Chargers are better, but not great.

It is the same mindset that leaves some departments issuing their officers 9mm handguns with no alternative, while the criminals are carrying .45s and better. Why would you allow your cops to be "out-gunned"? Similarly, why wouldn't you have them driving the best car available?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace$nyper View Post

I just don't under stand how those poor beat cops survive in the junk they give them.

Honestly this might be a GREAT market to go into, being big 3 are shaken up and the only reason they kept using the hunks they have is buy american, well sorry but what is offered is rubbish. Crown Vic? Horrid, old peoples car at best. oh boy 3:55 out back and a big battery now it's a cop car ICK! Dodge Charger? What a piss poor chassis, riding in a car that shares that chassis with less then 19k miles on it was BY FAR the scariest in my life, simple lane changes you could feel the subframe bushings horrid horrid. Don't even start me on the HEMI issue, but dear dodge if you plan on ripping someone off, at least don't make your product suck.
The impala? Best out of them but still, it's about as impressive as a washing machine, no matter how good it is, it's still a washing machine, drives like one as well.

These guys are out risking their necks daily and we throw those things at them? They should have a car to keep up with the times give them more tools to work with and a safer and more cozy life since a lot of cops are in them 10+ hours a day.

TD might be the wave of the future so I am pretty into seeing someone offer a diesel now with 6+spd autos milage and power aren't as much a trade off like it used to be, so a low revver like a diesel can really still have ummph and power.

You have some really good points! I have driven all three, and had the "luxury" of drinving the Caprice Classic before the last one died. Up to this point, my Charger has been the most comfortable, and best handling.

That is a sweet prototype. I'm not holding my breath though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Agreed on many points.

It is the same mindset that leaves some departments issuing their officers 9mm handguns with no alternative, while the criminals are carrying .45s and better. Why would you allow your cops to be "out-gunned"? Similarly, why wouldn't you have them driving the best car available?

AGREED!!!! We carry .40s, but it took the LA bank job for us to have AR15s in our trunks!
Old 12-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
jitzy
Illusione Whore

Trading: (17)
Bolivar
jitzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agreed on many points.

It's sadly always about money and liability. In NYC we have 9mm's and are going up against mac 10's and were driving 6 cylinder impalas, a god damn grandma car with the computer mounted so poorly that if you take a side impact colision on the passenger door you will be crippled.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
Darrell

If all goes as planned, post Air Force -- I hope to be driving one of those.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

You have some excellent points, however there are a few things that add to the problem for departments. Police cars MUST have several extra features you don't usually think of, because of the nature of the beast. It doesn't help that Chevy stopped producing the only vehicle made by the Big3 that was a competitive model until 2004 (year?) when the Impala was redesigned.

Speaking of, the Impala was actually a serviceable DOWNGRADE due to the unibody construction and smaller engine (not that it really matters since the car has a 130 MPH governor). The Crown Vic has a separate body that is attached to the frame (the frame individually supports and carries the weight of the engine, drive train, and all other features not associated with the body and passenger compartment) called body-on-frame (or something similar), similar to what commercial trucks and SUV's use, which makes it far more durable and easier to repair. This is important for the occasional use of ramming other cars, blocking things in, or other heavy physical activities. The only downside is there are no crumple zones, which is why the entire frame is double reinforced to apply more force to the impacted rather than the police car.

Police cars also have to withstand having over 100,000 miles per year put on them. I know that seems too high or too low, but consider that's 275 miles per day, and most shift officers are driving around for an 8 hour shift. Highway troopers put well over 500 a day according to a friend of mine (retired sheriff's deputy in Louisiana). So not only does the car have a LOT of miles put on it, but it will need more reliable heavier parts that require less repairs.

Extras including tac cage, gun mounts, Kevlar paneling and steel panel seat design, external oil-to-coolant exchanges, heavy duty transmission, double reinforced frame and body mounts, heavier shocks and struts, and lastly, an internal fire suppression system are present. All of this adds nearly 800 pounds to the P71 over the civilian model, and all of it is the direct result of necessity and preventative measures.

Is there a better vehicle out there for the job? Possibly, however there isn't a production vehicle tested yet that can withstand the modifications and torture that a Crown Vic can, and Ford has no competition to produce something better. And no department cares about creature comforts, the cars are about functionality.

I feel that, even though I hate Ford with a passion, if the Police Interceptor Crown Vic has been the car used by law enforcement for the past 25+ years with no real competition stepping in, they must be doing something right in the long run.

Edit to add that anything new has to be cheap, because Ford is tooled up for and can make Crown Vics all day for a pittance. Some new flashy car may be a great thing, but having one of them vs. multiple new CV's is a no-brainer to budget-bound police departments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace$nyper View Post

Old 12-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #11
jitzy
Illusione Whore

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
You have some excellent points, however there are a few things that add to the problem for departments. Police cars MUST have several extra features you don't usually think of, because of the nature of the beast. It doesn't help that Chevy stopped producing the only vehicle made by the Big3 that was a competitive model until 2004 (year?) when the Impala was redesigned.

Speaking of, the Impala was actually a serviceable DOWNGRADE due to the unibody construction and smaller engine (not that it really matters since the car has a 130 MPH governor). The Crown Vic has a separate body that is attached to the frame (the frame individually supports and carries the weight of the engine, drive train, and all other features not associated with the body and passenger compartment) called body-on-frame (or something similar), similar to what commercial trucks and SUV's use, which makes it far more durable and easier to repair. This is important for the occasional use of ramming other cars, blocking things in, or other heavy physical activities. The only downside is there are no crumple zones, which is why the entire frame is double reinforced to apply more force to the impacted rather than the police car.

Police cars also have to withstand having over 100,000 miles per year put on them. I know that seems too high or too low, but consider that's 275 miles per day, and most shift officers are driving around for an 8 hour shift. Highway troopers put well over 500 a day according to a friend of mine (retired sheriff's deputy in Louisiana). So not only does the car have a LOT of miles put on it, but it will need more reliable heavier parts that require less repairs.

Extras including tac cage, gun mounts, Kevlar paneling and steel panel seat design, external oil-to-coolant exchanges, heavy duty transmission, double reinforced frame and body mounts, heavier shocks and struts, and lastly, an internal fire suppression system are present. All of this adds nearly 800 pounds to the P71 over the civilian model, and all of it is the direct result of necessity and preventative measures.

Is there a better vehicle out there for the job? Possibly, however there isn't a production vehicle tested yet that can withstand the modifications and torture that a Crown Vic can, and Ford has no competition to produce something better. And no department cares about creature comforts, the cars are about functionality.

I feel that, even though I hate Ford with a passion, if the Police Interceptor Crown Vic has been the car used by law enforcement for the past 25+ years with no real competition stepping in, they must be doing something right in the long run.

Edit to add that anything new has to be cheap, because Ford is tooled up for and can make Crown Vics all day for a pittance. Some new flashy car may be a great thing, but having one of them vs. multiple new CV's is a no-brainer to budget-bound police departments.
I really don't think any dept car is doing 500 miles a day but I could be wrong
Old 12-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #12
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post
I hope I never see one up close....or in my rearview mirror!
Roger that,,,,I slightly wet myself as it is when I see the lights and then hear the inevitable,,,License Registration and Proof of Insurance. I keep everything in an envelope and just hand it over and get the reply,,,can you take it out of the envelope? So, do ya want me to write up the ticket for you, too?

Haven't had to deal with any tickets for about 10 years now but here in Georgia the Cobb County PD thinks they own the highways, backroads, dirt roads, driveways and in the bushes of every place I have ever seen. They don't think maybe pulling them over to the side of the road but stop traffic in the middle of the f'n road and get out and start their routine with traffic backed up to Tennessee. I learned that the Gov. of Georgia put a bounty on people who drive cars in Ga. with Calif. license plates that he set up with the PD's because they can pull more revenue from out of state licenses plus most of them he thinks are illegal aliens. Now, not sure if he meant south of the border or out in space aliens as Gov. Purdue is a little on the sketchy side.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #13
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post

I drove Chevy Caprices for my first 12 or so years on the force, and they out-performed and out-lasted the Crown Vics hands-down in my experience. Unfortunately, Checy went to the Impala for the police package, and with its performance, might as well give us Hyundais.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 12-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #14
jitzy
Illusione Whore

Bolivar

Quote:
I drove Chevy Caprices for my first 12 or so years on the force, and they out-performed and out-lasted the Crown Vics hands-down in my experience. Unfortunately, Checy went to the Impala for the police package, and with its performance, might as well give us Hyundais.
The bubble caprice? I loved how roomey they were and they held the road nice
Old 12-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #15
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Dodge Chargers are nice.
BigFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #16
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitzy View Post
The bubble caprice? I loved how roomey they were and they held the road nice
Started with the old squarer ones, but ended with the bubbles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
Dodge Chargers are nice.
They are freaking fast, that's for sure.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:14 PM   #17
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:

They are freaking fast, that's for sure.
yes they are
BigFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #18
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

What a cool ride... enjoyed the link.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #19
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Sweet looking car. I also hope to never see one up close and personal.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #20
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Main Force Patrol, anyone?