Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #41
zonedar

Default Re: Anyone Own A Kindle?

From the "FYI" file: Amazon Remotely Deletes Purchased Copies of 1984 and Animal Farm From Thousands of Kindles

Old 08-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #42
Mark
Tarheel.

First Name: Mark
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Mark will become famous soon enough

I just ordered my first kindle, and it comes tomorrow! I am very excited!

I am not going to use it really to read best sellers, but for my school books. I have 5,901 pages of assigned reading so far this semester, and much of it is avalible on the kindle. More importantly, though - almost 1,000 of those pages are on PDF's, so either I could print that all out (I can print 800 pages free with my tuition, but its not enough and a total waste of paper) or I can email it to the kindle DX I just bought and read them on there, plus that way I have them all in one place for easy reference.

I will let you know what I think when it comes, but I am pretty sure its gonna be wonderful!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #43
Mark
Tarheel.

Bolivar

Oh, one more thing - I get AWFUL migranes from looking at screens and reading, which is why the iPod touch wouldn't cut it. I have used the kindle once and the paper display was just as easy (maybe easier, cause you can turn the font size up) to read as a paper book. That's why I'm getting it and not just reading on an iPod or laptop. Utility.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:26 AM   #44
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

My brother-in-law has one and he loves it.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #45
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I just ordered my first kindle, and it comes tomorrow! I am very excited!

I am not going to use it really to read best sellers, but for my school books. I have 5,901 pages of assigned reading so far this semester, and much of it is avalible on the kindle. More importantly, though - almost 1,000 of those pages are on PDF's, so either I could print that all out (I can print 800 pages free with my tuition, but its not enough and a total waste of paper) or I can email it to the kindle DX I just bought and read them on there, plus that way I have them all in one place for easy reference.

I will let you know what I think when it comes, but I am pretty sure its gonna be wonderful!
Quote:
Oh, one more thing - I get AWFUL migranes from looking at screens and reading, which is why the iPod touch wouldn't cut it. I have used the kindle once and the paper display was just as easy (maybe easier, cause you can turn the font size up) to read as a paper book. That's why I'm getting it and not just reading on an iPod or laptop. Utility.
I'm looking forward to your feedback.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #46
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

A wha? Obviously I'm no help.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #47
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I'm looking forward to your feedback.
What am I, chopped douchebag?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 08-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #48
SilverFox

Kindle isn't available here yet in Canada Pete but Sony's e-reader is.

Assuming that the tech is relatively the same (based on my readings it is)

Here is my take.

I love it

I have read over 100 novels on mine and never had any issues. Typically when the family goes out in the RV I am the last one in bed, this is when I enjoy my cigar by the fire so I read. I will read between 3 and 5 novels on a 10 day camping trip so carrying them can be a pain. The reader maintains its charge easily for that time.

I also use it at home and it sits on my nightstand. I have used it for a couple of reference books on some things as well and it is great to be able to mark, highlight etc.

I have experienced zero eyestrain or discomfort etc, it reads like a book. The text is crisp and clear (no pixelation on the edges)

It can if you want hold some music or photos as I understand but I have never used this feature.

I have no complaints on Sony's library and it is much smaller than the kindles so I am sure there will be no shortage of material.

The controls are simple and reasonable well placed and make for simple reading the controls on both units (I have used a Kindle a while back) do not interfere with the reading.

Once you are engrossed in the book it is just that another book the reader does not take away from the experience, it also doesn't add to it.

As to reading on anything else computer or ipod etc the Kindle nor the e reader has a backlight and it uses a different technology to render print. It is typically the backlight that causes people issue that nad the frequency of refresh issues, my understanding of kindle and reader is that it is a static screen once renedered. Again zero strain or headache issues.

To answer Darryls question think of it this way, no book means no paper which is more environmentally friendly. (Sorry to my friends in the lumber industry)

Based on these entries into the market I suspect it will be only a matter of a few years that this medium will take over the book industry. For the nay sayers out there look at what has happened to the newspaper industry.

Hope that was helpful.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #49
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
What am I, chopped douchebag?

You mentioned your BIL owns one. If you own one, I would most definitely be interested in what you say, Admiral.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #50
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
Hope that was helpful.
Very much so.
Thanks.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #51
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
My brother-in-law has one and he loves it.
I just re-read my first post.

You really are a doucebag.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #52
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:

You mentioned your BIL owns one. If you own one, I would most definitely be interested in what you say, Admiral.
Sorry for making light, Peter. I am too busy posting to do much reading.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #53
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
I just re-read my first post.

You really are a doucebag.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #54
Mark
Tarheel.

Bolivar

Alright after 24 hours of use and about three hundred pages read, here are my thoughts.

This thing is AWESOME!

Screen is perfect - looks just like paper! I get horrible migranes from screens and my eyes get tired from paper after fifty pages or so, and with this device I had neither problem! I love how simple it is to use and that you don't need a computer for drivers/software/etc. Very lightweight and portable, and the books I bought were all a dollar a piece! (Dostoevsky, Gogol, Pushkin, Piper so far) If you are looking for more popular contemporary writing, its a bit more, but nothing that I saw was more than ten bucks. As long as you are within 3G network distance, books arrive in less than thirty seconds, and internet browsing isn't too slow. I also love the screen savers when you turn off the device! This thing is the best i've seen when it comes to functionality and portability tradeoffs!

Draw backs -

You are tethered to amazon, but they are pretty reasonable in their prices so i'm not too worried about that right now.

If you are not in 3G network range, the device falls back to 1RXTT and sucks battery about four times as much. I would recommend turning off wireless (really easy to do) when you are not using it.

Emailing yourself PDF's costs about fifteen cents a piece, but you can always just hook the kindle up to your computer and put PDF's on that way. It shows up as an external hard drive.

Internet is VERY basic. Looks like you are browsing on a cell phone. That having been said - it works for news, wikipedia, basic email, and even browsing CA!

Keyboard takes a few minutes to get used to, but its fine after you figure it out.

Final thoughts: GO GET ONE!

-Mark
Old 09-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #55
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Alright after 24 hours of use and about three hundred pages read, here are my thoughts.

This thing is AWESOME!

Screen is perfect - looks just like paper! I get horrible migranes from screens and my eyes get tired from paper after fifty pages or so, and with this device I had neither problem! I love how simple it is to use and that you don't need a computer for drivers/software/etc. Very lightweight and portable, and the books I bought were all a dollar a piece! (Dostoevsky, Gogol, Pushkin, Piper so far) If you are looking for more popular contemporary writing, its a bit more, but nothing that I saw was more than ten bucks. As long as you are within 3G network distance, books arrive in less than thirty seconds, and internet browsing isn't too slow. I also love the screen savers when you turn off the device! This thing is the best i've seen when it comes to functionality and portability tradeoffs!

Draw backs -

You are tethered to amazon, but they are pretty reasonable in their prices so i'm not too worried about that right now.

If you are not in 3G network range, the device falls back to 1RXTT and sucks battery about four times as much. I would recommend turning off wireless (really easy to do) when you are not using it.

Emailing yourself PDF's costs about fifteen cents a piece, but you can always just hook the kindle up to your computer and put PDF's on that way. It shows up as an external hard drive.

Internet is VERY basic. Looks like you are browsing on a cell phone. That having been said - it works for news, wikipedia, basic email, and even browsing CA!

Keyboard takes a few minutes to get used to, but its fine after you figure it out.

Final thoughts: GO GET ONE!

-Mark
Thanks, Mark. I may just have to do that.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:26 AM   #56
Resipsa

Peter, are you only interested in the Kindle, or in an ebook generally?
Have you considered the new Sony models that at about to hit the shelves that will connect to your local library and "check out" books for free?

From what I've been reading these could be better than the kindles

Since I'll be travelng more in my current job I've been thinking about getting one myself, but am interested in hearing the kindle feedback

have to say though, they look like something someone cobbed together in their basement back in 1950, one ugly ass piece of hardware
Old 09-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #57
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Peter, are you only interested in the Kindle, or in an ebook generally?
Have you considered the new Sony models that at about to hit the shelves that will connect to your local library and "check out" books for free?

From what I've been reading these could be better than the kindles

Since I'll be travelng more in my current job I've been thinking about getting one myself, but am interested in hearing the kindle feedback

have to say though, they look like something someone cobbed together in their basement back in 1950, one ugly ass piece of hardware
Ebook in general
Old 09-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #58
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

It will be interesting to see what the new Sony looks like. I have been watching closely but I get the feeling that this will open up into something larger over the next two years. Having said that I have a hard time dropping 300-400 on one now and the whole model change over in the next year. Google seems like they are out and about playing in ebooks also which I would say may means a reader from them in the near futre or they may throw their weight behind Sony or Amazon.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #59
kayak_rat
Cyclonic Bastard

First Name: Zack
Trading: (0)
Trinidad
kayak_rat will become famous soon enough

Peter, do they come with a magnifying glass?? Old eyes you know.....
kayak_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #60
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
VTDragon is on a distinguished road

I would own one if I could connect to their wireless network here in northern Vermont. Unfortunately it is Sprint with no service locally. I am eagerly awaiting the Plastic Logic reader. It is suposed to be 8 1/2 x 11, touch screen, same display as the Kindle, content partners Barnes & Noble and Google Books, (yielding much more content than Amazon) and wireless downloads via the AT&T network which works very well here in the north country. In the meantime I trudge to the library and the bookstore.

An expert is a person who knows enough about what's really going on ... to be scared.
VTDragon is offline   Reply With Quote