Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-22-2011, 06:36 AM   #1
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Fonseca 5-50

This is the Fonseca 5-50 that came with a sampler I purchased about 45 days ago. It was a decent smoke, light/medium bodied. It seemed a bit too simple in flavor, nothing stood out for me.The wrapper was in great shape with one rather large vein running the length of the cigar. When I punched the head the vein remained and I had to pull it out. The flavors seemed mellow with dry hay & earth tones the whole way through, except for a brief moment at the end of the first third where I was picking up a chemical taste. the chemical taste went away quickly and never returned. I do not have a very refined pallette and struggled a bit to pull any obvious flavors. This would make a great yard cigar. It required no maintenance and burned incredible for the price point. I was blown away by the ash on this stick. The first natural ash fell at about the half way point and I didn't baby the ash at all, it made a thud sound when it hit the concrete. It is funny how a good burn and a good ash make my smoking experience that much better.
The flavor was not my style, however the great burn and ash was impressive. I didn't nub this cigar due to the heat being generated towards the end.

I would recommend this cigar to anybody who is looking for a low maintenance mellow yard cigar, If you can pick one up cheap enough.
However I do not see myself purchasing any more of these, if somebody handed me one I would smoke it again.

Prelight:

Just before first ash:
Old 07-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
kickerb

Default Re: Fonseca 5-50

nice review, thanks!~