Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 07-25-2015, 06:00 AM   #701
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Wine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
It helps to know the som. He has helped me a lot over the years, as I pursued sommelier certification as an enthusiast not in the hospitality industry. He gave me lots of tips and blind tastings.

It's often "who you know" in this world....
Wow, did you receive any certification? I am just a casual wine drinker with a modest/small cellar. I been to some blind tasting and without no context, is very difficult to guess accurately. The cellaring aspect of wine can change how a wine shows. I don't really have any wine geek friends close by, so those exercises in refining my tasting notes moves at snail's pace.

Sure, my friends like wine, but nothing scholarly about them drinking a wine. No pad of paper for notes.

I sometimes wonder why I bother bringing over 30+ year old clarets when they are all gushing over some 15% alcohol Zin I'd assume pour down the sink.

Last night, we had a 1996 Chateau de Beaucastel CdP. A muscular CdP with plenty of tannin that took a couple of hours to be really smooth and charming. Cork looked great. Had a little browning on the rim edge of glass, but not oxidized at all. I have about 4-5 more of this vintage and look forward to them... Been on a Rhone kick recently.

The other night was 1979 Guigal Cote Rotie Brune et Blonde that was rocking. Guigal was originally imported to the US, down the street from my house, so older vintages are floating around regularly. Cote Rotie is one of my favorite wine regions.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:45 AM   #702
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

I've done quite a few courses in wines and spirits (WSET, CSW, CSS) and certified through US Sommelier Association. They can be hard if one is not in the industry and tasting daily. (Especially WSET)

For folks who are "eager amateurs" of French wine, the best course I have done is through the a french Wine Society. They run weekly lectures and tastings for 13 weeks (quite in depth) with a multiple choice exam at the end (no tasting exam) - they also do immersion courses in France. I'm currently trying for their Bourgogne Master level. It's a lot of fun, and I hope to head to Burgundy next summer just prior to that exam.

Anyone who is a fan of French wines needs to check this out:

https://www.frenchwinesociety.org

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Old 07-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #703
mc808
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Marvin
Trading: (0)
mc808 is on a distinguished road

Those French Wine Society immersion trips look great!

I have an Advanced Sommelier certificate from the Court of Master Sommeliers and I have been in the industry for over 25 years but I am still learning something new every day.
mc808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:09 AM   #704
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc808 View Post
I have an Advanced Sommelier certificate from the Court of Master Sommeliers and I have been in the industry for over 25 years but I am still learning something new every day.
What is your capacity in the wine industry?

The only one wine category I feel "confident" on is Port Wine. I have had most of the great 20th century vintages, and about 30-40% of my collection is Port going back to the 19th century.

This knowledge did not come cheap either. If I guessed, it would be over 100K in port personally consumed easily...

I assume you'd have to spend 3-4x to know Bordeaux or Burgundy to similar detail?
Old 07-26-2015, 11:32 PM   #705
mc808
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
What is your capacity in the wine industry?

The only one wine category I feel "confident" on is Port Wine. I have had most of the great 20th century vintages, and about 30-40% of my collection is Port going back to the 19th century.

This knowledge did not come cheap either. If I guessed, it would be over 100K in port personally consumed easily...

I assume you'd have to spend 3-4x to know Bordeaux or Burgundy to similar detail?
I currently am the General Manager for six gourmet food/wine/cigar retail shops in Hawaii. I used to manage wine programs at hotels such as the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua.

Port is one of my weakest categories in terms of knowledge. You obviously have far more experience in Port than I. The oldest Port I've had was an 1890 Dow that was barely clinging to life. My favorite Port experience was staging a 1963 horizontal tasting of over two dozen wines with Michael Broadbent.

Drinking great wine is never cheap. I find it more economical to taste with like-minded individuals and share the expense.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:19 AM   #706
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Port is one of my weakest categories in terms of knowledge. You obviously have far more experience in Port than I. The oldest Port I've had was an 1890 Dow that was barely clinging to life. My favorite Port experience was staging a 1963 horizontal tasting of over two dozen wines with Michael Broadbent.
I have had 1890 Dow twice. Once is was a goner and the other time quite nice. 1900 Dow is an exceptional vintage if you can find it. That must've been an awesome horizontal of 1963; one of the greatest post war vintages. Michael Broadbent has a great portfolio of wines including Ferreira, Crasto, Musar, and their own branded Madeira (by Justinho). I have some various '63's, about 3 cases worth.

A couple of '63 Dow tregnum's would be most interesting I have of this vintage.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:57 AM   #707
mc808
Just in from the Storm

Wow those big bottles are awesome!
Old 07-28-2015, 04:52 AM   #708
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Wow those big bottles are awesome!
Thanks. Been waiting for a time to open one. With vintage port, my mandate is it must be drunk down in one sitting.

I also have a 3000 ML bottle of 1977 Taylor in wood. That one is in the cellar, but you may've seen one before. I probably have about 2-3 cases of 1.5's, but those are pretty common...
Old 07-28-2015, 09:17 AM   #709
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Moses, do you buy all your bottled online? Or do you have a phenomenal distributor in Boston?
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #710
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
Moses, do you buy all your bottled online? Or do you have a phenomenal distributor in Boston?
Modern bottles are bought locally or online; being shipped to me in the fall or spring. There's some good online vendors for older stuff like HDH, Zachy's, Acker, Rare Wine Company; just to name a few.

I buy a lot of stuff at auction and have been doing so well over a decade. Always big gamble at auction and you should know what you are doing. I'd suggest a narrow focus and research on any Lot you may be interested in. I do both live an online auctions. Live auctions can yield the best results, but take the most amount of time and quick thinking. There could be a wine I wasn't initially interested in, but when it is up and no one bids on it, I will bottom feed and throw a low ball bid.

Some stuff I buy is from a distributor/importer who also buys out estates I am friends with. There's a couple of distributors that let me buy at their wholesale price which helps.

Other bottles are just from people I meet who have cellars they are clearing out.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #711
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Blandy's 5 year Special Dry Madiera
Old 09-04-2015, 04:50 AM   #712
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Blandy's 5 year Special Dry Madiera
What did you think of that? That is the minimum age for any Madeira I would drink. Probably wise to go with the drier style of Madeira at age.

Can you get Broadbent Madeira in your region? They make 5 year, but their 10 year is IMO the best Madeira for the money.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #713
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

It was very good Moses this is my first Madiera with age, I've had Broadbent rainwater which I enjoyed a lot, and Sandeman Fine Rich which wasn't to my taste, reminded me of Sherry. So I have only those to compare it to but I really like it it's a nice change of pace to Port which is pretty much all I've been drinking lately. So yes I can get Broadbent but they do not stock 10 year but if they have it chances are they can order it. What kind should I ask for special dry? I'd like to try Bual also?
As always thanks for any and all input wise one!
Old 09-08-2015, 06:53 AM   #714
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
So yes I can get Broadbent but they do not stock 10 year but if they have it chances are they can order it. What kind should I ask for special dry? I'd like to try Bual also?
As always thanks for any and all input wise one!
Broadbent has a few higher Madeira's. The 10 is medium sweet. I don't believe it's a single varietal like Bual. They also make a Colheita for around the same price, but I like the 10 better. I believe they also have a Terrantez that is well priced, and if so is worth all the money and then some. Terrantez may be the best Madeira varietal, but very rare and limited in production.

If you can get a 10 year and if you're feeling sporty the Terrantez, you'll be very satisfied for the purchase. If you can get the 10 for under $40, you are doing well. I like the Broadbent 10 better for the same money as RWC Historic Series Madeiras.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:00 AM   #715
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Broadbent 10 seems to come in Sercial and Malmsey, I'm assuming your referring to Sercial?
Old 09-09-2015, 05:47 AM   #716
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

If anyone is near NJ, I recommend going to the Wine Library. You can also order from their website. Great selection and their prices are even better. https://winelibrary.com

I went there this past weekend and stocked up on some different wines. Amazing customer service as well.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:45 AM   #717
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Broadbent 10 seems to come in Sercial and Malmsey, I'm assuming your referring to Sercial?
The Sercial is the drier one. I would get the Malmsey from them.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:54 PM   #718
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Efharisto Christos, I have family in Hoboken and Astoria Queens(I'm also Greek) I might have to make a pit stop there next time I head up there!
Old 09-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #719
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
The Sercial is the drier one. I would get the Malmsey from them.
I just ordered a case online for $33 a bottled shipped. This vendor did not have on premises, so fingers crossed they can actually get it for that price.

My local B&M said Broadbent also has Bual and Verdelho. I really like Verdelho (semi-dry), but did not give me a price yet. I'll be happy with Malmsey at that price either way...
Old 11-04-2015, 05:59 AM   #720
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
Thumbs up Re: The Wine Thread

For those who like CdP (Chateauneuf du Pape), try "la Fiole du Pape". It is a non-vintage wine made of different vintages and bottled. It can be aged, but is ready to drink when bottled. Very good CdP you don't have to worry about a vintage or sitting on the bottle.

Cool looking bottle to boot. Recommended for under $30