Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 06-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #21
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Does a decent light beer exist?

I don't think Yuengling is bad....of course I'm from Pennsylvania so take it for what it's worth.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #22
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Is it Peter "mystical meat" Noon?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mugen910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #23
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
Is it Peter "mystical meat" Noon Lite?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #24
D_A
Dave's not here

First Name: David
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
D_A is on a distinguished road

Amstel Light is only 3.5% ABV. If you end up drinking twice as many of them as say for example Bell's Two Hearted which is about 7% you haven't really saved any calories, you've only sacrificed taste
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #25
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
Is it Peter "mystical meat" Noon?
Posted via Mobile Device
Dats me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vito View Post
I saw your post before you edited it, you bastage.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #26
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Dats me.

I saw your post before you edited it, you bastage.
I think your still in the meat department
Old 06-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #27
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vito View Post
I think your still in the meat department
Old 06-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #28
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

The only decent Light beers IMO are Michelob Ultra and Heineken Light. Heineken Light actually has a decent flavor. I'm assuming you are looking to watch your weight when you drink? IMO just drink what you like but limit it to 2 drink max. That way you can enjoy it and not worry about adding too many extra calories.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #29
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Screw it, I'm just gonna drink Guinness and believe that it is lighter. It floats on the Bass, right?
Old 06-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #30
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A View Post
Amstel Light is only 3.5% ABV. If you end up drinking twice as many of them as say for example Bell's Two Hearted which is about 7% you haven't really saved any calories, you've only sacrificed taste
Can't really say what kind of calories they have but all the new Sam Adams Imperial Series beers have around 10% ABV. So, you can drink fewer of them and still get lots of alcohol content.

Personally, I feel if calories are a concern then it's best just to drink hard alcohol straight up. Something like vodka on the rocks with a slice of lime is tasty and has plenty of alcohol content.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #31
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

My favorite was the aforementioned Sam Adams Light (guess you didn't like that?)

I have had to swear off of that... low-carb diet since November. I have lost 70 lbs., but beer has pretty much become a thing of the past.

Best low-carb beer I have found is Budweiser Select. After that would be Michelob Ultra. But unless it is a health necessity - stick with the Guinness! "D
Old 06-19-2009, 10:39 PM   #32
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Guinness is as light as I go.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #33
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Drinking light beer is like eating a soy steak should just drink the NA crap
Old 06-20-2009, 05:36 AM   #34
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Question.

What does these three items have in common: Military Intelligence, Honest politician, and Decent Light Beer?
Old 06-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #35
beamish

I agree with the sam adams light...
Old 06-20-2009, 06:32 AM   #36
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Burt Grant, when he was alive and running his brewery, made a "celtic ale" that was the best light beer I ever had. Decent hopping, a bit of malt and caramel flavor, yet 99 calories.

This was made in the style of an ordinary bitter, a style with relatively low alcohol content (3.2-3.8%). Examples of this style include Fuller's Chiswick Bitter, Adnams Bitter, Young's Bitter, Greene King IPA (SIC, FACKIN SIC ... what is the matter with these people), Oakham Jeffrey Hudson Bitter (JHB), Brains Bitter, Tetley’s Original Bitter, Brakspear Bitter, Boddington's Pub Draught. This last one is widely available and is 3.8% abv, and should be in the light range of calories.

Another style, "mild ale", is also a British beer that typically has alcohol in the 3-4% range. This style does not travel well and is not widely appreciated this side of the pond. BJCP guidelines lists the following as examples of the style: Moorhouse Black Cat, Gale’s Festival Mild, Theakston Traditional Mild, Highgate Mild, Sainsbury Mild, Brain’s Dark, Banks's Mild, Coach House Gunpowder Strong Mild, Woodforde’s Mardler’s Mild, Greene King XX Mild, Motor City Brewing Ghettoblaster. I don't recognize these names, they may be hard to find.

A Scottish version,. Scottish Lighht 60/- likewise is low calorie (and alcohol) but is not exported to the US. Cask only versions include Belhaven 60/-, McEwan’s 60/-, Maclay 60/- Light.

Some lambic beers are low in alcohol, are decidedly dry, and would fit the light beer category, although they are not normally considered such. Most are in the 5-6% abv range and outside the light beer calorie range, so you need to look at labels. Lambics are usually a very sour funky tasting beer and not everybody likes them.

Berliner Weisse is a low alcohol style that is available in the US last time I checked. It is in the 2.8-3.8% range and very sour, coming from a lactic fermentation. In Germany, they apparently add sugar syrups to the beer (killing the light designation not doubt). Then only one of this style I have found and tried is the Kindl Berliner Weiss. Definitely on the sour side but if you're used to drinking Lambics or sour Flemish ales not bad.

The beers discussed above are beer styles that typically have low alcohol contents and associated low calories, but are not produced using enzymes the way normal light beers are made in the US following Joe Owades's footsteps. For these beers, I have had few that I have liked.

Probably the best I have had was Lightship that Sam Adams made a few years ago. My ratebeer evaluation: Dec 8, 2007. I had this often when it was made. From notes, this has a great character for a light beer, much better than the "new" light beer that they make and almost as good as Burt Grant’s Celtic Ale when he was around to make that one.

As others have pointed out, Guinness on tap or in the widget bottles/cans is actually reasonably light, with calories and alcohol lower than Budweiser (basically the same as Sam Adams Light). Guinness is the only "light" beer besides Boddingtons that I drink regularly these days.

I have made a number of milds and ordinary bitters myself that I have enjoyed, often based on Jamil Zainacheff's recipes. People who want a buzz from drinking complain that these beers don't have much kick .... but that is the point.

So after all this, I would recommend looking around for a mild or ordinary bitter. Boddingtons is pretty tame but drinkable and Guinness, of course, is good for you.

References:
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2008_Guidelines.pdf
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show

Last edited by SeanGAR; 06-20-2009 at 06:41 AM.
SeanGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #37
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

I like Iron City light. I'm not sure if they even brew it any more though?

Chris....
Old 06-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #38
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

[quote=replicant_argent;432166]Screw it, I'm just gonna drink Guinness and believe that it is lighter. It floats on the Bass, right?[quote]

I think you are on to something here.
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #39
SchizoFilly

I am going to assume for the purpose of this thread that "light beer" is meant as low calorie and has no reference whatsoever to the actual color of the beer. I don't drink lite beer. I usually stick to IIPAs, stouts, some bocks, some helles, you didn't ask what I like so I'll drift back toward the topic now.

Shiner Light isn't bad and the Shiner Espezial Leicht (special light) is pretty good, but I don't think that one is available anymore.

http://beeradvocate.com/articles/248

check out the above article also. According to them the calorie difference between Bud Light and Guiness is only 10 calories. Since Bud Light isn't even beer, and it's only 10 calories, drink what you like. Come on, don't ruin a good smoke with a sh!tty beer. Just saying.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #40
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Why not just drink less? Remember, the beer mug is neither half-full nor half-empty -- it's only the wrong size.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote